Jumping while turning

Some tracks I ride have slow corners followed by a double, I have a problem on these jumps because I’m still turning when I leave the face, and the bike sends to go sideways in the air. How do y’all combat this tendency to go sideways when doing a turning jump?

Most issues arise from changing the lean of the bike. If your going to jump turning and leaning, keep the same amount of turn and lean up the entire jump face. Stopping turning and standing the bike up while going off the lip makes weird things happen. Usually what I do is throw a small whip so I can lean the bike a little extra once I’m in the air. It makes the back end swing out further but it comes back. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply locked.  I’ll try and focus on that next time I ride...

I was also wondering if it’s caused by uneven peg weight, often times you have more weight on the outside peg while cornering . But I see pros with one foot off the peg while jumping, so , not sure.  This prolly sounds like a nube  question, but why do you see pros with one foot off the pegs when jumping, are they trying to adjust the bike, or are they simply staying loose and they gather it back up at the LZ ? 

Posted (edited)

The short answer is it can be, but it’s more complicated then that. For pros usually they have there foot off because it’s still off from having it out for the corner. It feels like it saves energy to stand by seat bouncing a little and the foot being off doesn’t really do anything. Weighting the pegs unevenly alone doesn’t cause it though. It’s that uneven weighting causing the lean of the bike to change up the face. You can have the bike kick out with the pegs evenly weighted or not kick out at all favoring either peg. It happened to me a lot as a beginner standing, weighting the outside peg while cornering into the face and standing the bike up

Edited by temporarily_locked
  • Like 1

Some tracks I ride have slow corners followed by a double, I have a problem on these jumps because I’m still turning when I leave the face, and the bike sends to go sideways in the air. How do y’all combat this tendency to go sideways when doing a turning jump?

You can use pressure on the inside peg along with the gyro of the front wheel to keep the bike positioned correctly when doing this. It’s similar to doing a whip. Usually, you’ll straighten up a bit for the landing since most jumps are straight. The front wheel gyro has a large effect. If you have a bicycle wheel available, spin it while holding each axle end with your fingers. Then turn the wheel left and right. You’ll experience gyroscopic precession, which causes the wheel to bank in the opposite direction. Turn the wheel to the right to make the wheel bank to the left. Doing this on your motorcycle with your bars while also applying peg pressure will help you position the bike while airborne. For example, while exiting a left corner going off a jump face while still leaned left turn your handlebars to the right while applying left peg pressure once airborne. Do the opposite to straighten up. Lead with your upper body, which will allow the gyro and peg pressure to be more effective. I’m no pro doing big whips, but these techniques will give you control on jumps while still cornering. I hope this makes sense.

Start small!
  • Like 2