Weyerhaeuser sucks

I remember the days when you could ride from the graham/spanaway area all the way down to south of Mt. Adams with a vary minimal amount of pavement. Then the private timber companies and DNR and the FS started blocking access. The stated reason from those who I was able to ask questions to all said it was due to illegal activities and dumping. When asked why the law wasn't enforced, the usual response was due to lack of man power. It was much easier to put up a gate then to directly deal with the real issue and the one who were responsible for the illegal activities. Pretty piss poor excuse. The problem doesn't go away it just gets dispersed to another area.  
Exactly. And it all started when those counties had to cut sheriff deputies because tax revenue dropped off a cliff when the enviros started filing lawsuits against timber sales. I've tried to explain to the local timber guys that I'm on their side, most dirt bikers are not members of the Sierra club lol. I mark illegal dumps with my gps and report them, I've followed guys with pickups full of shit around until they went back to pavement. They should enlist us, not lock us out.
  • Like 7

I've observed the same thing. I always know when hikers, or quads, have been on a trail because of the abandoned food wrappers and drink cans. And if the cans are beer they were left by quad riders.

I have also observed loads of old building materials that would need at least a PU truck to haul. And abandoned car and truck hulks in CF.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HeavyRotation said:

I've followed guys with pickups full of shit around until they went back to pavement. They should enlist us, not lock us out.

I have offered, but the response was that they did not want to get citizens involved with any type of enforcement.

In my opinion one issue in Washington state is the cost of dumping materials and the convenience or proximity to the population. Also the mind set of , I paid a fee so some else can clean my shit up.

Over at my place in Idaho the dump is free and if anyone sees you dumping crap you might have a long walk out while wearing your garbage.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, HeavyRotation said:
20 hours ago, shotgunscott said:
I remember the days when you could ride from the graham/spanaway area all the way down to south of Mt. Adams with a vary minimal amount of pavement. Then the private timber companies and DNR and the FS started blocking access. The stated reason from those who I was able to ask questions to all said it was due to illegal activities and dumping. When asked why the law wasn't enforced, the usual response was due to lack of man power. It was much easier to put up a gate then to directly deal with the real issue and the one who were responsible for the illegal activities. Pretty piss poor excuse. The problem doesn't go away it just gets dispersed to another area.  

Exactly. And it all started when those counties had to cut sheriff deputies because tax revenue dropped off a cliff when the enviros started filing lawsuits against timber sales. I've tried to explain to the local timber guys that I'm on their side, most dirt bikers are not members of the Sierra club lol. I mark illegal dumps with my gps and report them, I've followed guys with pickups full of shit around until they went back to pavement. They should enlist us, not lock us out.

Garbage was a key that enabled Shelton Dirt Rider, LLC to get Green Diamond Resources to allow SDR members to ride on their property.  During the past year and a half that we have had ORV access to their property SDR members have removed well over 150 cubic yards of garbage from their forest land.  That figure which I know is accurate because I witnessed the full dumpsters, does not include the tons of scrap iron and tires we also removed.  We supplied the labor, Green Diamond supplied the dumpsters and paid the dump fees.  Green Diamond is now quite happy with our presence on their property.  The still lock their gates but we have keys and Id stickers that they honor. 

• Like 7

Garbage was a key that enabled Shelton Dirt Rider, LLC to get Green Diamond Resources to allow SDR members to ride on their property.  During the past year and a half that we have had ORV access to their property SDR members have removed well over 150 cubic yards of garbage from their forest land.  That figure which I know is accurate because I witnessed the full dumpsters, does not include the tons of scrap iron and tires we also removed.  We supplied the labor, Green Diamond supplied the dumpsters and paid the dump fees.  Green Diamond is now quite happy with our presence on their property.  The still lock their gates but we have keys and Id stickers that they honor. 
Yeah for actual trail riding you guys have a pretty darn good model. I'm mostly grousing about being barred from connecting big loops on my dual sport. Not really a big deal but I've seen what the east coast and south look like for access. There just isn't any.
  • Like 1

If the laws were enforced and penalties imposed maybe we could still have open riding areas on private timber lands. Instead we pick up 150 cubic yards of crap, have the land owner pay the dump fees, and have the responsible user groups pay 150 dollars a year to access a 31 square mile piece of land.  

Perhaps subsidizing the dumps so folks don't have to pay 80-100 bucks to dump their garbage would help. Then stiffen the fines along with community service (like picking up someone else's dumped garbage)  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shotgunscott said:

If the laws were enforced and penalties imposed maybe we could still have open riding areas on private timber lands. Instead we pick up 150 cubic yards of crap, have the land owner pay the dump fees, and have the responsible user groups pay 150 dollars a year to access a 31 square mile piece of land.  

Perhaps subsidizing the dumps so folks don't have to pay 80-100 bucks to dump their garbage would help. Then stiffen the fines along with community service (like picking up someone else's dumped garbage)  

Exactly Scott. In my little town back east growing up every town had its own little "dump" where you could bring your excess trash and drop it off. Yard waste too. They also had once a month trash days where you could put your excess trash out to the curb and they would collect it for you. No extra charges, no extra fees, it was paid for by your regular garbage fee, everyone paid it, it wasn't excessive from what I recall, no one complained, everyone seemed to think it worked just fine.

I was amazed when I moved out here to learn you had to pay (quite a bit) to use the dump and that there are no monthly "trash" days. Then I come to learn the woods out here are used as dumping grounds by the cheap, the lazy, and just plain bad people. And people wonder why the woods are full of trash, and the response by the authorities is to close off access to the woods. Stupid policies with very predictable outcomes if you ask me.

And the monthly garbage to the curb days, oh my god, it kept us in mini bike engines. No one in our neighborhood had the money for the killer XR70's and RM80's so we rode around on beat up Rupp mini bikes (or cast off Honda step throughs if you were lucky). Every trash day we were up early looking for the prized horizontal shaft engines for our minibikes. If you found a 5 hp (vs the regular old 3.5) engine you just won the lottery, Lol. Good times. And oh yeah, bicycles, sporting goods, whatever, we were not to proud to scrounge up whatever we could. No shame in it then, it was just normal, people seemed happy to have you cart it away before the garbage trucks got there.

And kudos to the Shelton Dirt Riders club for getting it done, but I wish the authorities would stop closing off access, especially on those forest roads, its just not right.

Edited by Woods_Rider
  • Like 2