hawaii Oahu hare and hounds on July 8, 2018

Every time I see a Hawaii post here it cracks me up that they lumped it in with 3 desert states.  What was Bryan thinking? :facepalm:

12 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Every time I see a Hawaii post here it cracks me up that they lumped it in with 3 desert states.  What was Bryan thinking? :facepalm:

It’s fine. It is still a particular location like any of the different desert states. Even as little as Hawaii is it’s still quite particular as we are separated by living on different islands. We have races on different islands but it does cost alot considering how close we are.. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I saw some of the videos posted on the ridehma facebook page.. looked challenging.  I noticed it looked like some of the guys had dual sport tires, is that common? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mch said:

I saw some of the videos posted on the ridehma facebook page.. looked challenging.  I noticed it looked like some of the guys had dual sport tires, is that common? 

It’s mainly different trials tires and a variety of hybrid trials knobby type tires.. some knobby mx.  Yea we have always ridden hare enduro type races but we just called it hare and hounds. We are so isolated. Only now with youtube and more  social media and higher technology are more info going out on riding and racing. Try checking out some of youtube channels of local riders just to see. 

These are on Oahu but Kauai and Maui have some great vids too..just to see. We don’t have as much open stuff like we did. So more concentration on tight technical.

It’s mainly different trials tires and a variety of hybrid trials knobby type tires.. some knobby mx.  Yea we have always ridden hare enduro type races but we just called it hare and hounds. We are so isolated. Only now with youtube and more  social media and higher technology are more info going out on riding and racing. Try checking out some of youtube channels of local riders just to see. 
[/url]  

These are on Oahu but Kauai and Maui have some great vids too..just to see. We don’t have as much open stuff like we did. So more concentration on tight technical.

Thanks for the links. I rode a lot at Kahuku, but mostly the track and some of the not too hard tails.
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, mch said:

Yea it’s not for everyone . I went riding with a mainland rider recently that just prefers open riding. Nothing wrong with that but it’s just sort of traditional that Hawaii has been a hard enduro type riding place for many decades. I think it’s why he hasn’t called me to ride for a few months.

I just got back from some training on the east coast and watched some of these Vids... I can understand why he never called you to ride again if you took him on some of that stuff. :)  I'm in Las Vegas and ride with another Hawaii guy quite regularly.  His kid RJ was the top motocrosser out there some years back.  If you want to do some Desert Riding next time you are out here, let me know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mch said:

I just got back from some training on the east coast and watched some of these Vids... I can understand why he never called you to ride again if you took him on some of that stuff. :) I'm in Las Vegas and ride with another Hawaii guy quite regularly.  His kid RJ was the top motocrosser out there some years back.  If you want to do some Desert Riding next time you are out here, let me know.

Thanks! That’s nice of you!  

Yea some of these vids are extreme of course. I would never torture someone new to riding here with that stuff. I went on a dry day in more mellow trails but to him it wasn’t as mellow. It’s all relative. I’d try to tailor a nice ride so he could enjoy himself.  Riding with different skill and experience levels riders means making the ride more enjoyable. Slow with some riders and faster or harder trails for others is the way I think. I don’t know RJ. I’m probably too old. I was an mx rider in the 70’s and 80’s. I took that new to Hawaii trails rider on stuff like this. He just liked more open riding. That’s cool . Everyone has their preferences. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Raymond Carvalho is the guy I ride with.  You happen to remember Kaipo Fernandez?  He just moved up here, hoping to take him out riding one of these days.  

2 hours ago, mch said:

Raymond Carvalho is the guy I ride with.  You happen to remember Kaipo Fernandez?  He just moved up here, hoping to take him out riding one of these days.  

Maybe if I see him.. Im probably in an older crowd and I haven’t been going to kahuku except for trail races more. Riding more central Oahu