RUNNING LEAN???

IMG_2454.JPG

Yeah I think the photo says more than I can possibly explain I have never seen a plug this bad, surprisingly the bike still runs and starts first kick. I was playing around with the carby as it was a pain to start and would run for 20 secs then die and would be impossible to start after it dies. After playing with jets and screws for hours I have it to a point where it can now kind of idle, but only with choke off and the idle screw all the way in. Plus my air/ fuel screw is almost all the way in but I’m still getting a very dry plug. And its running rough, especially at high rpm. Before I played around with the jets it would run perfectly but would just shut off after 20 - 30 secs and not start up again. Now it runs like shit but stays running for ages. The plug has been coming out dry the entire time and is full of carbon. Yeah ummmm anyone else seen something like this, or know what would make it better. Thanks

IMG_2454.thumb.JPG.5ccaa14a88875bcbde62374daaf57316.JPG

Yeah I think the photo says more than I can possibly explain I have never seen a plug this bad, surprisingly the bike still runs and starts first kick. I was playing around with the carby as it was a pain to start and would run for 20 secs then die and would be impossible to start after it dies. After playing with jets and screws for hours I have it to a point where it can now kind of idle, but only with choke off and the idle screw all the way in. Plus my air/ fuel screw is almost all the way in but I’m still getting a very dry plug. And its running rough, especially at high rpm. Before I played around with the jets it would run perfectly but would just shut off after 20 - 30 secs and not start up again. Now it runs like shit but stays running for ages. The plug has been coming out dry the entire time and is full of carbon. Yeah ummmm anyone else seen something like this, or know what would make it better. Thanks

Never seen anything like it nor do i know what you could do but damn that looks rough

Has the carb been cleaned recently? Any air leaks?

Has the carb been cleaned recently? Any air leaks?

Every time I open it to change something I clean it on the way, today I checked for air leaks aswell and everything seems to seal. I’m starting to think the problem is the fuel tank not getting enough fuel to the carb, as it was running good before but would die. The only thing I done now to make it run other than the jets is put more fuel in the tank, if I go back to my old jetting and fill the tank all the way it might work. Sounds like it could work?

EXTREMELY rich..........

EXTREMELY rich..........

Yeah true I thought because it was dry means it’s not getting enogh fuel, done a quick search, I was VERY wrong
10 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

EXTREMELY rich..........

Exactly....rich is dark, lean is white or very pale tan..tough to read plugs now with the goofy fuel we have...

Check your float/fuel level and make sure the fuel inlet needle & seat are clean and seal properly.

Check for air inlet restrictions or a clogged air filter element.

Make sure the spark plug is correct for the application (heat range too cold, not burning off carbon)

Edited by mlatour

Dry and black, but good idle and no rich bog,  is too much fuel all the time. Float level is probably way to high.

Check your float/fuel level and make sure the fuel inlet needle & seat are clean and seal properly.
Check for air inlet restrictions or a clogged air filter element.
Make sure the spark plug is correct for the application (heat range too cold, not burning off carbon)

Okay so I’ve fixed it. I bought a new carby and slowly compared all the differences, and adjusted the original carby accordingly, i told my self if the bike still didn’t end up starting I’d just chuck the new carby on the bike and make it run, but I really wanted to fix the old one so I could learn for when I have similar problems in the future. Turns out the long needle on the throttle slider thing was wayyyyyy to short and was letting too much fuel in through the main jet. I had replaced it previously as I bent the original one trying to get it out and the replacement I put in was too short, I ended up going back and putting the bent needle back in and even though it was bent the bike started first kick and ran perfect without cutting out. It’s amazing how the tiniest thing can make such a big difference. I checked the entire fuel system and found it strange that the bike would run then die as there was good flow to the carby and the float and needle and seat were perfect, turns out because it was running so rich the carbon on the plug was causing it to misfire every once in a while and the bike would die. Makes sense right?