690 Rally vs 701 Rally

So the title may be slightly confusing or misleading,  I've strickly road offroad for the last 13 years and do to recent happenings I am looking into Going head first into adventure riding.  So initially i was certain of getting a 690 but After reading a little about the 701 now I'm at a cross roads.  The 701 has the updated duke engine where as the 690 has the older version of the engine, having read certain reviews and comparisons (which are sorta hard to find), most people say the changes really don't take the 701 ahead of the 690, just makes it different.  

Now after seeing the reveal of the ktm 790 adventure I was going to wait till next year to buy that bike, but price weight and power all seem to be on the high side.  I am seeing weights aroung 440-450, and bhp over 100...  

SO as for the rally thing, my ultimate goal is to make the bike a rally replica.  At this point the 690 has far more options to build such a machine where as the 701 is lacking but expanding in that department.  While looking at kits and items the 690 i could build over time, buying individual parts and pieces.  The 701 I am mostly finding kits as opposed to individual parts.  

The final thing is dealer location,  I have ktm dealers 1-2 hours away with 690's in stock,  and husky dealers 3-4 hours away.  part wise it seems like it will be just as easy to get oem parts online.

thanks for any advice in advance.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:08 PM, KTM_rider_617 said:

So the title may be slightly confusing or misleading,  I've strickly road offroad for the last 13 years and do to recent happenings I am looking into Going head first into adventure riding.  So initially i was certain of getting a 690 but After reading a little about the 701 now I'm at a cross roads.  The 701 has the updated duke engine where as the 690 has the older version of the engine, having read certain reviews and comparisons (which are sorta hard to find), most people say the changes really don't take the 701 ahead of the 690, just makes it different.  

Now after seeing the reveal of the ktm 790 adventure I was going to wait till next year to buy that bike, but price weight and power all seem to be on the high side.  I am seeing weights aroung 440-450, and bhp over 100...  

SO as for the rally thing, my ultimate goal is to make the bike a rally replica.  At this point the 690 has far more options to build such a machine where as the 701 is lacking but expanding in that department.  While looking at kits and items the 690 i could build over time, buying individual parts and pieces.  The 701 I am mostly finding kits as opposed to individual parts.  

The final thing is dealer location,  I have ktm dealers 1-2 hours away with 690's in stock,  and husky dealers 3-4 hours away.  part wise it seems like it will be just as easy to get oem parts online.

thanks for any advice in advance.

There is a fairly active bike specific forum here for the 690 and 701. Dirt bike>make/model>KTM>690.

Some of your questions are already answered there, though most are more dual-sport oriented, depending on where you draw that line.

You could start a thread there with your questions. 

I have a 690. :thumbsup: