play between outer clutch basket/gear (video)

I'm rebuilding the bottom end on my 2002 cr250 after my clutch plate exploded and sent aluminum shards everywhere. I used a power washer to try to clean the shards out of the crevices in the outer clutch basket, and afterwards i noticed there was play between the gear and the basket as you can see here:

Is this how they are? oem basket, with only 67 hours on it.

• Like 1

I'm rebuilding the bottom end on my 2002 cr250 after my clutch plate exploded and sent aluminum shards everywhere. I used a power washer to try to clean the shards out of the crevices in the outer clutch basket, and afterwards i noticed there was play between the gear and the basket as you can see here:
Is this how they are? oem basket, with only 67 hours on it.

I don’t think it’s supposed to do that. The gear should be firmly pressed into the clutch basket and not really move. Lemme go check mine, but I’m pretty sure that’s only going to get worse if you put it back in the bike. The gear is removable I think but you press it in, should be no play like that.
  • Like 1

Its supposed to have a little movement to reduce instant strain on the primary gears and trans. That one seems to have a bit more than normal. There are rubber softeners behind the flex plate and gear, you can replace the rubbers and the basket or the OEM basket comes complete with gear for about the same price.

• Like 1

If you do file the basket dont go to much if its real deeply notched. Back in my 125 days midd late 90s i filed a notched oem kx basket and it blew apart during last moto . Never filed one for myself again. But i have filed many for other people with no problems.  If you're racing getting fast and hard on throttle i deff dont recommend file'n. But your call ofcourse ☺

• Like 3

Thanks. I wish i had a new clutch basket to compare it to. I'm wondering how it started to wear out after so few hours (hasn't even had a new top end)

i wonder if it had to do something with the clutch shattering, or if that's normal after 67 hours.

the basket isn't really notched, i know it kind of looks like it is in the video still above, but thats mostly discoloration.

• Like 1

Thanks. I wish i had a new clutch basket to compare it to. I'm wondering how it started to wear out after so few hours (hasn't even had a new top end)
i wonder if it had to do something with the clutch shattering, or if that's normal after 67 hours.
the basket isn't really notched, i know it kind of looks like it is in the video still above, but thats mostly discoloration.

Where you climbing a big hill at Carnegie? That’ll put a lot of stress on that component.
  • Like 1