Tow-behind cargo tailer for a DRZ400?

Does anyone have experience with setting up a DRX400 with a hitch to be able to tow a lightweight cargo trailer? I've found a decent little fiberglass clamshell trailer online, but donw't want to buy it if there's no way to attach it to my bike. I called a dealer, and he felt that there was no way my bike could handle it, but i've seen lots of reference online for DRZs towing. However, most of the images i see are complete systems where the trailer hooks directly to the rear of the bike, rather than a true hitch system.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

00c0c_3YxQ5Hs1As5_600x450.jpg

01313_b7RQX9RLKpp_600x450.jpg

7 minutes ago, dangerboydesign said:

Nice! That's a great resource, and not too far from home. Thanks, man.

Where in BC you from? 

4 minutes ago, dangerboydesign said:

Salt Spring Island, but working on Vancouver Island around Parksville and Nanaimo for the spring.

Ah no shit, my wife's parents live there. Up on Chock Rd...Unfortunately not a lot of places to dirtbike around there so I never bring the bike with me.. 

That's cool. Yeah, I've heard there are some random trails up Mt Bruce and Tuam off Musgrave Rd, but I haven't had much chance to explore yet. Sadly, my bike is more of a commuter than a trail bike these days. There's quite a few dualsport riders on SSI, so they must have places to go kick around...

I've heard alot abut towing a DRZ but nothing about a DRZ towing something else.  

The DRZ will struggle at highway speed towing anything.

I've seen videos that show lightweight cargo carrier for a DRZ. The thing can easily take two people down the highway, so why not 1 person and 60 or 70 lbs of trailer and gear?

https://www.facebook.com/MotoMule

https://kipmoto.com/collections/trailers/products/sherpax-lightweight-dual-sport-trailer

I know it's possible, but I'm just seeing if there's an easily purchasable after-market hitch that i can mount to my bike so that i can buy a used trailer rather than dropping $1000+ on a whole brand new system

• Like 1