Terry has been on this site in the last week!

Presumably seen this topic and read his private messages.

On 02/07/2018 at 7:57 PM, adnohguy said:

There is always Frank at EO

(xr100.com)

Terry builds stroker cranks for Frank. Maybe Frank can get something going for you?

Thanks for the info adnohoy and chadzu. I’m locked in with Powroll, having handed over my money already. I will keep Engines Only in mind as a backup plan.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 3:39 AM, Matt Champion said:

Thanks for the info adnohoy and chadzu. I’m locked in with Powroll, having handed over my money already. I will keep Engines Only in mind as a backup plan.

Let us know if it all works out, i was hoping to get Terry to do some work for me as well.

Terry text me this morning, he has been away fire fighting for a while.

Being from the other side of the world I googled Oregon and saw it has some rugged mountainous terrain, fire season.

I'm in neighboring Washington and our fire season began early this year. Our state land manager reported something like 470 fires so far this year.

Update…. Terry has messaged to say he has done some porting work on the head that I sent him and that he is still involved with the fire crew work. I try daily to contact him by phone, hopefully my efforts will be successful at some point… Terry, if you happen to read this…. Can you please answer your phone!!!

Where I ride in the PNW I'm almost always out of cell range.  So if Terry is out in the woods on fire duty he is  probably out of cell phone range 24x7. 

Yeah, last year was pretty bad from how much work he said he had, along with all of the fires. This year is probably worse. He'll get the work done, but there is unfortunately no timetable, which is why I started collecting spare parts/engines after my first build so there's no downtime.

It sucks, but that's often how it goes with a one-man shop. It would help if he had a secretary because he's said that if he took the time to respond to every email, text, etc he'd never get all the work done. Not trying to be a negative-nancy, but that's just how it is in this niche market and I eventually just accepted it because no one else offers all these services/parts currently for our 230F's. Not fun waiting, but better than the blue 230 oops did I just say that out loud...

Edit: oops, just realized this was the XR80/200 section. Most still applies though.

• Like 1

Thanks Chuck and MX4god for your comments. I have just spoken with Terry. The porting is being done today and he has all other parts in hand, ready to dispatch.

Terry explained the reasons for the delays and all is good!

I will post a picture of the parts when they arrive :goofy:

• Like 1

Thanks Chuck and MX4god for your comments. I have just spoken with Terry. The porting is being done today and he has all other parts in hand, ready to dispatch.
Sounds good. I'm still waiting on a crank, head and cam from earlier this year.

You can't hate the guy, he goes out of his way to help everyone but is just overwhelmed. My stuff took over a year but he eventually came through and gave me a good deal on a few more things. Its sad but he's got what we need and even though it may seem pricey, he doesn't make much money off us. When good paying work comes up he has to set aside the bike stuff and earn some money.  I never heard of anyone getting screwed in the long run so he has integrity. We just have to be thankful for the time he gives us.

I think he needs to partner with someone who can handle all the sales, marketing, shipping and phone calls. Free up his time and pay him top dollar to do his thing and train some helpers. He's one half of a great business,.. just needs to find someone equally talented in marketing and business matters.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, woodsryder said:

You can't hate the guy, he goes out of his way to help everyone but is just overwhelmed. My stuff took over a year but he eventually came through and gave me a good deal on a few more things. Its sad but he's got what we need and even though it may seem pricey, he doesn't make much money off us. When good paying work comes up he has to set aside the bike stuff and earn some money.  I never heard of anyone getting screwed in the long run so he has integrity. We just have to be thankful for the time he gives us.

I think he needs to partner with someone who can handle all the sales, marketing, shipping and phone calls. Free up his time and pay him top dollar to do his thing and train some helpers. He's one half of a great business,.. just needs to find someone equally talented in marketing and business matters.

And pass that info on to that Smart Performance suspension guy.  Totally incompetent at the bus end of things.

On 7/12/2018 at 2:20 PM, Matt Champion said:

ever get your parts?

No parts as yet... although some contact with Terry last week, he explained that he has been full time firefighting, worst wildfires in decades on the west coast so he has been away for weeks on end.

I know there are others waiting for parts, engine builds etc from Terry. I wish him well in getting back on top of things, once he is back in his shop.

Edited by Matt Champion

So here I am, again, asking if anyone had success retrieving parts or money from Terry miller?

I have had no contact except another brief text excuse more than a month ago.

Any one else had contact?

I haven't had the money to think about doing anything as far as getting engine work done by Terry, so I feel for any of you that have sent him parts, as well as money to cover the work being done. But I've been reading these threads as they've grown, and it's pretty tiring. 

What I think should be happening is, 

1)If he is unable to be home to do the work, he should notify EVERYONE of his situation, and specify they should not send parts for work until he states he's able to take on the work.

2), He should have someone there to ship those parts back to the sender (at Terry's expense) so they can have their parts back

3) He should swallow his pride and recommend someone that would gladly be able to do the work in a timely manner, and has enough respect for the customer to stay in contact with them. 

4) If you are too send him money, make it a check so you can keep track of it and see if it's been cashed or not. If it's been a lengthy period of time and no contact has been made or work been done, cancel the check if it hasn't been cashed. 

5) If it's been cashed, yet no contact has been made and no work and parts have been delivered, call the police or District Attorney in his area and tell them of your situation. There seem to be enough people on here who are having problems with the bad business practices, that I'm sure something can be done legally.

6) DON'T SEND PARTS OR MONEY UNLESS YOU HAVE A CONTINUING DIALOGUE WITH HIM ON A REGULAR BASIS AND KNOW THAT YOUR WORK WILL BE DONE IN A TIMELY FASHION!!!

Seems that people have been complaining for quite a while, yet more people on here keep sending parts and money, KNOWING that shit hasn't been going right. Don't be the next statistic and find someone else. There are plenty of capable machine shops around the country that can do the same work. 

If you know of these machine shops, start posting their info for the people that actually want to get work done. 

5 hours ago, Daniel627 said:

There are plenty of capable machine shops around the country that can do the same work. 

Not true, Terry is the only one doing stroker cranks and he has unique knowledge about these engines that others don't have. The squashed rods he makes for the XR's are a lost art passed down from the now defunct Powroll company. This community has been cutting him so much slack because he is a genuine asset we don't want to lose. For all the good he has done for us its not like he got rich off of it. Whatever his life situation is, I hope it improves for our sake.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1