Ohlins s3 selective steering damper on a drz 400

So I own a 2008 suzuki drz 400 sm with the stock 47mm upside down forks. I was thinking of fitting a steering damper like the scotts on it, when my brother gave me this as a gift https://www.ohlins.com/2011/11/eicma-2011-ohlins-s3-the-future-of-off-road-stability/ (I know, I am really lucky to have him as a brother). However, when i saw the fitment list I wasn't sure if it would be an easy job fitting it on my drz. It fits these bikes: GAS GAS 300 R 2012, HONDA CRF 250 R 2012-2013, HONDA CRF 450 R 2012-2013, KTM 125 EXC 2012, KTM 200 EXC 2012, KTM 250 EXC 2012, KTM 300 EXC 2012, YAMAHA YZ 250 F 2012, YAMAHA YZ 450 F 2012-2013. It is compatible with 48mm forks, but the 1mm difference wont be a problem, there are ways to overcome this. My concern is that it might have a different offset than the bottom clamp. I can just however replace the bottom clamp as well with a 2012 yz450f that I can find really cheap from a friend of mine. Do you believe it would be possible and I could make this happen? I am really dazed with its looks. Don't want to sell it. Any advice and opinions are welcome! Thanks in advance!

Easiest would be to find a lower triple that you can press fit your drz stem into directly.

Next easiest would be to find a lower triple with a stem that you can turn down in a lathe to fit your steering bearings.

Then find a set of forks with the proper length and revalve or respring.

Then fab a couple of wheel spacers.

• Like 1

• TT Sponsor
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:06 PM, Dr. Suzuka said:

So I own a 2008 suzuki drz 400 sm with the stock 47mm upside down forks. I was thinking of fitting a steering damper like the scotts on it, when my brother gave me this as a gift https://www.ohlins.com/2011/11/eicma-2011-ohlins-s3-the-future-of-off-road-stability/ (I know, I am really lucky to have him as a brother). However, when i saw the fitment list I wasn't sure if it would be an easy job fitting it on my drz. It fits these bikes: GAS GAS 300 R 2012, HONDA CRF 250 R 2012-2013, HONDA CRF 450 R 2012-2013, KTM 125 EXC 2012, KTM 200 EXC 2012, KTM 250 EXC 2012, KTM 300 EXC 2012, YAMAHA YZ 250 F 2012, YAMAHA YZ 450 F 2012-2013. It is compatible with 48mm forks, but the 1mm difference wont be a problem, there are ways to overcome this. My concern is that it might have a different offset than the bottom clamp. I can just however replace the bottom clamp as well with a 2012 yz450f that I can find really cheap from a friend of mine. Do you believe it would be possible and I could make this happen? I am really dazed with its looks. Don't want to sell it. Any advice and opinions are welcome! Thanks in advance!

Unless these were made for a DRZ there isn't much you can do to make it fit shorts of getting the forks and triple clamp off of whatever bike it was meant for. fork diameter is measured by the chrome tubing, not the outer.

• TT Sponsor
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:24 AM, Dr. Suzuka said:

So you reckon that with yzf fork and triple clamps plus proper wheel spacers and overall front and rear suspension readjustment I will be fine?

All the bikes that it listed use different forks and triple clamps so we don't really know what that triple clamp is for. I am guessing that Ohlins isn't going to be much help as I don't think they make any of that product anymore. Are there any numbers on the actual triple clamp?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry for replying so late. I has some other stuff I needed to take care of, so the project had to wait. Here is the upper clamp. I have ordered a used lower clamp plus the steering stem of a 2012 yz250f. The guy sold them just the two. No upper, so I was lucky there. So, regarding the offset, I am fine. Might need to do some mechanical job to the steering stem. I will find out when it comes. Spacers and revalving-readjusting the forks was my next plan anyway so it is not a problem. However, I am not sure about the fork diameter. As Eric said the fork diameter is measured by the inner tubes. To be honest I wasn't aware of that. This gives me hope that I won't need new forks. I am happy with the stock ones. I need your opinion. Do you know if the outer tube diameter of a drz fork and a yz250f-yz450f is the same? If it is I am fine. Otherwise, I will have to sell the stock ones and buy others. I don't want to see my new clamps crack even for a mm of a difference. Eric there are no numbers on the upper clamp. Just part numbers. Thanks!

20180714_173812.jpg

20180714_173820.jpg

20180714_174113.jpg

received_2150242428545441.jpeg

Forgot to mention. The link arm bolts to the motocross tank in the front bolt. I have to weld a tower pin to my frame. I have ordered a short tower pin for scotts stabiliser since the flat sides distance is 6mm on my stabiliser too. Might need some trimming in order not to touch the sides of the link arm. I am also waiting my new 2.6 ims gas tank which i will have to modify in order to get some clearance for the pin to fit underneath the front.

On 6/19/2018 at 7:06 PM, Dr. Suzuka said:

This is not a forum that I usually visit, but I saw the Ohlins damper title and I thought you might find my experiences useful.  First, regarding the installation, I had a buddy who received an Ohlins damper as partial payment in a trade.  Yes, it is a dazzling little piece of motorcycle bling for sure, but when we started to look at mount kits for his YZs, the one for his aluminum bike was nearly as expensive as another brand of damper itself, and there was not even a mount available for the steel frame bike. We also considered having some machine work done to the mount kit it came with, but that was not going to work either.  We ended up selling the damper on ebay.  I can't remember how much, but it was a lot of money--almost enough to buy another brand damper AND mount kit.

Regarding the performance of the Ohlins damper, I spent a few hours on a Husky 250 equipped with the Ohlins, and it felt pretty much like any other damper.  It was closer to the Scotts than a GPR in the way it felt, but as far as performance I didn't notice anything special about it.  

Finally, as a hard core damper user myself, I always suggest to folks that they buy a "standard" damper (GPR, Scotts) that they can take with them from bike to bike over the years by using different mount kits.  For example, I have mount kits on my three current bikes for my Scotts, and just transfer it to whatever bike I'm going to ride.  And over the last decade it has been mounted to a variety of bikes that I have owned.  Often times you can find the mount kits used for cheap, but even new they are usually only about $150.  I'll probably be using this damper on every bike I will own until I'm too old to ride.   

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:52 AM, Dr. Suzuka said:

Hey guys, sorry for replying so late. I has some other stuff I needed to take care of, so the project had to wait. Here is the upper clamp. I have ordered a used lower clamp plus the steering stem of a 2012 yz250f. The guy sold them just the two. No upper, so I was lucky there. So, regarding the offset, I am fine. Might need to do some mechanical job to the steering stem. I will find out when it comes. Spacers and revalving-readjusting the forks was my next plan anyway so it is not a problem. However, I am not sure about the fork diameter. As Eric said the fork diameter is measured by the inner tubes. To be honest I wasn't aware of that. This gives me hope that I won't need new forks. I am happy with the stock ones. I need your opinion. Do you know if the outer tube diameter of a drz fork and a yz250f-yz450f is the same? If it is I am fine. Otherwise, I will have to sell the stock ones and buy others. I don't want to see my new clamps crack even for a mm of a difference. Eric there are no numbers on the upper clamp. Just part numbers. Thanks!

20180714_173812.jpg

20180714_173820.jpg

20180714_174113.jpg

received_2150242428545441.jpeg

So its not just the outer diameter you have to worry about but also the taper. The path of least resistance would to just get the YZ forks and wheel of Ebay and go from there. Big advantage too is you get a far better quality fork. Down side is you spent some money.

Thanks-

Eric

Rpt50 I totally agree with you. I don't have a personal experience with steering dampers but after hearing some friends' views and reading a lot of online reviews, I was about to order a Scott's. They are reliable and will probably bolt on any set of bars and clamps fairly easily. However, you have to understand that a brother's gift is a brother's gift. Bling or not, I have to fit the Ohlins clamps to my bike. This bike is a project bike that I am building and even if I didn't have these clamps, I would still modify the front end (maybe not to this extent). Eric what do you mean with the word taper? I searched for its translation, but I' m not sure I found it. Do you mean the angle of the steering stem and the fact that it's not straight (cone-like)? Secondly, if the fork outer diameter is the same, do you think that just wheel spacers won't do the job? Why still change the forks? Last question: you "sounded" really firm on saying "far better quality fork" and I respect your opinion. Do you believe that the stock yz fork is so much better than the stock drz? Guys thanks again for the interest. Any opinion is welcome and well appreciated.

I’m a brand new member here and not sure how to start a new topic. But here’s my issue:

i have a 2005 Yamaha YZ450F. Valve adjustment is way off. So, I’m attempting to adjust the valves as the service manual instructs.  It instructs to remove the cam covers, then remove the cams. That was easy. The it tells me to remove the valve lifters and pads. Well, that’s the problem: how to remove the lifters?  They resemble little pistons in a cylinder bore, no way to grab hold of them. Do any of you have suggestions or a procedure you’ve used?  Thank you!