Injured shoulder - go to doctor, or wait and see?

In 2012, I darn near ripped my right arm off at shoulder.  Dislocated, complete RC tear (all muscles), Grade 3-4 AC separation and torn biceps tendon.  Had it all repaired by brilliant surgeon (except biceps tendon).  AC repair failed also.  Anyhow, I'd say my shoulder has been 100% and pain free for over 4 years.

About 10 days ago, I injured it somehow - not even sure how.  Maybe pulling tree branches in yard, or moving furniture.  Anyhow, it hurt a bit for several days   - really not too bad - just enough to make me uncomfortable and take it easy.  Now, about 10 days later, no pain at all,  but it is making a lot of noise.  Clicking, popping, crunching - I can hear and feel it.  Seems located on outer upper  corner.  Possibly getting slightly better.  I have full range of movement.  Noise happens primarily at middle of range of motion.

I am just wondering if I should just take it easy for a couple more weeks, or go see my shoulder guy.  Does clicking noise indicate I am doing further damage every time I move it?

I am shying away from going to my shoulder doctor because I just had ankle / broken fibula surgery on Friday (from different doctor).  That injury is completely unrelated to my shoulder - happened 5 weeks earlier.

I had to put off my trigger finger surgery until leg heals because using crutches would be impossible.  Falling apart, I am!

Sorry to hear that you are in pain - again!  Please set up an appointment with your Doc ASAP.  When you get injured, you are in a race against space and time.  The goal is to re-establish your range of motion and get the muscles/joints under load (healing status pending).   An MRI (for soft tissue) or an X-Ray (for bone) will eliminate the "what if" situations that the brain will create for you.  

Please keep me posted on your results!  I am happy to work with your rehab (strength and flexibility and nutritionally).  We will get you back stronger than you were prior to your injury.  

-Coach Robb

CompleteRacingSolutions.com

So, I called doctor.  Spoke with his assistant.  Asked if my symptoms warranted an appointment, or if I should wait another week.  She said I absolutely needed to see the doctor.  So, I tried to get appointment.  First available is in 19 days, LOL!  Talked her into sooner, only 4 days.  Hope it will be better then.

Time for me to fix everything, as I have hit calendar year out-of-pocket max on my insurance.  I see trigger finger surgery, physical, and colonoscopy in my near future.

So, at the time of my last post, I had no pain in shoulder, just noise.  Next day, my shoulder was painful, and I can't raise arm fully.  Remember, I recently had surgery for broken ankle.  I figured-out that as my mobility on crutches increased I messed-up my shoulder by using crutches.  NOT from crutches pushing into armpit, but b y bearing all my weight on shoulder.  Gave up crutches, and just using my knee scooter now.  Appointment with shoulder doctor today.

Saw shoulder doc.  X-ray of course, show nothing.  He said need MRI to tell anything for sure.  Surgery is possibility, but would be after leg is healed.  So - no need to rush MRI because I would still have to wait.  Thus, plan is to take it easy on shoulder - no heavy lifting.  Keep range of motion if possible.  Wait and see.  By the way, I was able to fully lift it at doctor's on Monday, a big improvement from Sunday.  "take it easy" LOL!  Easier said than done for me.

So, 2 weeks later....  Shoulder a little better.  Had to use crutches a lot in last couple days.  Range of motion better and easier.  Less pain, less grinding noise.  Fingers crossed.  Still can't walk for 2 more weeks.

• Like 1