Notched clutch basket... Anything I can do?

22 hours ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:
No... Rekluse has replaceable SS sleeves. They arent just an auto clutch company.  They've evolved into a serious clutch manufacturer.
I take nothing away from Barnett's quality... But you have options. Its only money. :worthy:

That's right, I have guys run the Rekluse Torq Drive manual clutches in the 250-295cc race motors as they make too much power for a stock clutch. The steel inserts seem to do the trick to protect the basket and the added plates can take the 46-51 horsepower.

Edited by Eddie8v
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Eddie8v said:

That's right, I have guys run the Rekluse Torq Drive manual clutches in the 250-295cc race motors as they make too much power for a stock clutch. The steel inserts seem to do the trick to protect the basket and the added plates can take the 46-51 horsepower.

I think they had to do it with the narrower, more numerous plates.

There was a machine shop called "Stormin Normin's" that used to machine OEM baskets and add stainless steel sheet metal inserts, but the guy basically disappeared. They would take your destroyed basket, machine out the notches and add the shims and it was forever bullet proof. And it was like $150 or something. Ive looked for the guy about half a dozen times. If I could find him, I'd send out my CB1100F basket tomorrow. It runs the same plates as a CR500.

3 hours ago, Shawn_Mc said:

There was a machine shop called "Stormin Normin's" that used to machine OEM baskets and add stainless steel sheet metal inserts, but the guy basically disappeared. They would take your destroyed basket, machine out the notches and add the shims and it was forever bullet proof. And it was like $150 or something. Ive looked for the guy about half a dozen times. If I could find him, I'd send out my CB1100F basket tomorrow. It runs the same plates as a CR500.

Sounds like he was a bad ass.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Pull the whole thing and look at the inner hub/plates as well. IMO I've filed SLIGHT groves in a basket but that was only short term.

Replace as need with best stuff you can afford and as a suggestion I use Maxima MTL in my tranny in my 05 CRF250R and change every engine oil change MAX 10 engine hours

Edited by filterx

5 hours ago, EnglertRacing said:

How many hours and what oil

40 hrs

Honda HP and Maxima MTL

The point is that the baskets will still notch over time.  The stainless inserts they use do not have the hardness to be an install it and forget it part as some would like to believe.  The Barnett is not  a foolproof panacea.  However, their customer service is very good and your basket will be returned in a like new condition for minimal cost.  It's still a good option for people looking for baskets.

Edited by APBT

2 hours ago, APBT said:

40 hrs

Honda HP and Maxima MTL

The point is that the baskets will still notch over time.  The stainless inserts they use do not have the hardness to be an install it and forget it part as some would like to believe.  The Barnett is not  a foolproof panacea.  However, their customer service is very good and your basket will be returned in a like new condition.  It's still a good option for people looking for baskets.

Ive got more than that, running valvoline synthetic atf, no marks at all.  With a slipper clutch that i feel is kind of hard on baskets.

1 hour ago, EnglertRacing said:

Ive got more than that, running valvoline synthetic atf, no marks at all.  With a slipper clutch that i feel is kind of hard on baskets.

Yes, predictably a "my oil is better than the inferior oil you use" response.

As stated, not disappointed in the wear of the Barnett stainless inserts since the baskets can easily be returned to like new condition.  However, the stainless inserts are not an install and forever forget option.  It's a very good choice, but not perfect. 

Edited by APBT

31 minutes ago, APBT said:

Yes, predictably a "my oil is better than the inferior oil you use" response.

As stated, not disappointed in the wear of the Barnett stainless inserts since the baskets can easily be returned to like new condition.  However, the stainless inserts are not an install and forever forget option.  It's a very good choice, but not perfect. 

It shouldnt be better its one of the lower viscosity atfs i like how it makes the clutch feel.   Im wondering if there is something you do while riding that beats them up

17 minutes ago, EnglertRacing said:

It shouldnt be better its one of the lower viscosity atfs i like how it makes the clutch feel.   Im wondering if there is something you do while riding that beats them up

Can't think of anything in particular.  After all, how fast can an old fart who's in his mid 50's really be going? ??

Edited by APBT