How long you guys keeping high mileage vehicles?

Just wondering how long you guys are/plan on keeping your high mileage vehicles. 

As for me, I’ve got a ranger with 312,000 miles on it, still runs great. Suppose see how long it goes??

NOT looking for a stupid thread on brand wars, we all know someone who owns whatever brand you don’t seem to like that had “x” brand that died 2 at 3k miles or something stupid like that. Although, that’s a tall order for TT and is liable to bring out brand loyal people. 

• Like 2

2007 Nissan Titan, owned since new so 11 years old, 107,000 miles, no problems but I do have a wandering eye for a new truck but everytime I look at the numbers and the fuel economy I just always come away with "Why again?" The new Honda Ridgeline gives me a big boner though. :banana:

• Like 2

What is a high mileage vehicle? :excuseme: In the rust belt we dont measure a vehicles miles, we count its winters. "My truck has three winters and is already rusty underneath." "Couple more winters and this one will be ready for the scrap yard." 

• Like 3

My Chevy G30 Moto van has over 430k. Haha drive it till it quits, and fix it. Thing is a tank! She has had a motor and rebuilt trans. New front end components and she is golden

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

2007 Nissan Titan, owned since new so 11 years old, 107,000 miles, no problems but I do have a wandering eye for a new truck but everytime I look at the numbers and the fuel economy I just always come away with "Why again?" The new Honda Ridgeline gives me a big boner though. :banana:

I have a wandering eye for older pickups. My dad only drove 60s and 70s pickups when I was a kid up until like 2008 or so. I guess it rubbed off on me, I can’t get it out of my head to own one next.

The odo stopped on his 79 f150 at 210k, and got sold to somebody who’s still driving it today. Original trans and engine. Comfortable bench seat, solid truck.

also 74 Chevy 3/4 ton. Unknown mileage but drove it forever.

10 minutes ago, emperialwizzard said:

My Chevy G30 Moto van has over 430k. Haha drive it till it quits, and fix it. Thing is a tank! She has had a motor and rebuilt trans. New front end components and she is golden

Motovan for the win!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RawbW said:

The odo stopped on his 79 f150 at 210k, and got sold to somebody who’s still driving it today. Original trans and engine. Comfortable bench seat, solid truck.

also 74 Chevy 3/4 ton. Unknown mileage but drove it forever.

That'd be cool just to change fluids and what not by time rather than miles.

I keep them until repairs cost more than the vehicle is worth.

Transmissions, head gasket, or sometimes just the exhaust can cost more to repair than the vehicle itself is worth. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

That'd be cool just to change fluids and what not by time rather than miles.

Yeah not too bad. And on older things like those trucks it’s very easy to work on, no cramped engine bays and all that. Usually don’t have have to remove anything other than the thing you are specifically working on.

my gfs new beetle you have to remove everything except the part you’re doing lol.

• Like 1

Newest car we own is a 2004 BMW X3.  187k, runs great.  My 03 325i has 192k.  My 95 540i has 218k. 

The key is buying good cars.  Some brands routinely require major repairs, others will go 500k on the original driveline. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Kalamazoo said:

I keep them until repairs cost more than the vehicle is worth.

Transmissions, head gasket, or sometimes just the exhaust can cost more to repair than the vehicle itself is worth. 

All vehicles cost more than their worth, but I get your point and if you got the $$ and want to drive something else I say go for it. If an engine is done in a newer vehicle it’s probably not worth it.

ive replaced some sensors in the life of me owning my truck, and got a comment from somebody once to just go buy a new one so I could save in repairs.

i said, ok so il save the 500 in repairs, but spend 25k on another truck plus interest. Plus the maintenance and repairs that will need.Il never get close to spending 25k in repairs on my truck, ever. Obviously there’s a point where it is pointless, just making an example.

Edited by RawbW
  • Like 1

Good, but none of those numbers are high mileage yet...those numbers fit most any rig out there...

(Response to post nine)

37 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

I have a 15 F150 with 100k miles on it... 

I have a 06 F350 6.0l with 330k miles on it.. 

My brother had a first year ford 6.0, it was bought brand new and had a crazy tuner on it since day 1 with no supporting mods. It got beat on hard, and was plagued with some of the early 6.0 problems. But it sure sounded good.

they can be solid when upgraded or if you get the later one that they worked the bugs out of, like yours.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RawbW said:

All vehicles cost more than their worth, but I get your point and if you got the $$ and want to drive something else I say go for it. If an engine is done in a newer vehicle it’s probably not worth it.

ive replaced some sensors in the life of me owning my truck, and got a comment from somebody once to just go buy a new one so I could save in repairs.

i said, ok so il save the 500 in repairs, but spend 25k on another truck plus interest. Plus the maintenance and repairs that will need.Il never get close to spending 25k in repairs on my truck, ever. Obviously there’s a point where it is pointless, just making an example.

Not sure why your comparing brand new vehicles to high mileage ones, used low mileage are easy to come by around here. :excuseme:

Iv'e been given cars before, and paid $750 for a $4000 car before that required nothing more than a new car battery. So yes some cars cost less than they are worth. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Kalamazoo said:

Not sure why your comparing brand new vehicles to high mileage ones, used low mileage are easy to come by around here. :excuseme:

Iv'e been given cars before, and paid $750 for a $4000 car before that required nothing more than a new car battery. So yes some cars cost less than they are worth. 

The new part of the comment was to the coworker that doesn’t work on things telling me to buy new so there’s no repairs lol.

in that case you are correct, though.

I paid $700 for my truck, and could sell it for probably what I have in it for repairs and initial cost. So now I’m broken even lol.

Edited by RawbW

I ride my bikes far more than I drive my truck so my '03 Dakota has only 126k on it. I usually buy a vehicle only when my needs change. 

Come to think of it, I do the same with bikes. a '03 Z1000 and a '14 690R.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, turbo dan said:

Newest car we own is a 2004 BMW X3.  187k, runs great.  My 03 325i has 192k.  My 95 540i has 218k. 

The key is buying good cars.  Some brands routinely require major repairs, others will go 500k on the original driveline. 

I think bmw and most euros get a rep for little electrical gremlins. But as far as I know bmw engines and the like are bombproof. So are Mercedes. Overall great cars. Same with Porsche, high parts pricing, but reliable. The worst thing is the people who own em. Lol

A bmw is a car Id consider fixing, as it would be one I’d also enjoy to own and drive. If I don’t love the car, any work on it feels terrible.

My brother has a 09 m3 with 100k plus on it. It’s had some minor problems, and it’s ac compressor replaced. Although, the replacement one was a Denso, same as what you’d see on a yota.

Edited by RawbW

I have kept some trucks past 300,000 miles, but i also had some vacations cut short due to breakdowns.

Newer will improve the odds of no breakdown when traveling.

Newer trucks are safer in an accident.

Newer trucks are unfortunately very expensive these days.

I like to buy vehicles that have around 20-30k on them and keep them around until they start nickel and diming me with $100-150 parts that require an hour or so of my time every few weeks.  I don't mind replacing a clutch or timing belt every 5 or so years, but those cheap parts that just need a little time every month drive me nuts.

I've had 3 Rangers, all reached that point at about 160-170 miles and I think their lives were pretty much done at that point.  Then I had a Nissan Frontier that I beat the living snot out of, it started requiring regular parts replacement at 170k miles.  After working on it every 2-3 weeks for a year I sold it with 190k miles on the clock, basically because my wife demanded I get rid of it.  I think it had a lot of life left in it, but we had 2 kids under two in the house and also had 2 major home renovation projects taking up my weekends so it was a struggle to work on the truck when it needed it.  I do miss that thing though, it was a blast to drive.

Also had a Lexus IS300 that started nickel and diming me at 130k miles, though I pretty much replaced every sensor it had at that point so I bet it's rock solid for whoever I sold it to.  I unloaded that, along with the Frontier, to buy something newer.  Now I'm driving a 2014 F150 that just hit 60k, I'm hoping to keep it until it hit's 200,000 miles.  I guess I just don't have the patience to keep something around until it really reaches "high mileage".  My dad had a Civic that made it to 380k miles, but he also spent a lot of time replacing small parts for the last several years he had it.

On 6/23/2018 at 4:45 PM, BlackBuzzard said:

I have kept some trucks past 300,000 miles, but i also had some vacations cut short due to breakdowns.

Newer will improve the odds of no breakdown when traveling.

Newer trucks are safer in an accident.

Newer trucks are unfortunately very expensive these days.

I wonder if old solid things( that transmit more shock to the driver) will come full circle since new cars are like soft cushions and it will just plow right through it lol. Kidding of course.

the only “break down” I’ve had was two hours away when a idler pulley that should’ve been replaced with the serpentine belt ate itself. Drove it beltless(therefore water pump less) 15 minutes on the freeway with no water pump in summer, to parts store, changed it. Drove home, changed oil. That was just negligence on my part though. 

I blew a tire once 5 miles or so from home, didn’t feel like changing it on the crap side of town at night, Drove it home cops style on the rim. Sounded like a dryer full of bowling balls.

truck has been jumped, autocrossed, hammered to Tahoe, don’t think the pedal left the floor besides braking through the curves for 2 hours of that journey. 

• Like 1