How to keep an EXC 250 "new"

Three weeks ago I became the owner of a brand new EXC 250. Never been this happy, but I want to keep it this way. So what Im asking here is, how do I keep the bike from aging? I want this bike to be as fresh as possible all the time. I dont want it to be all shaky/uncomfortable as the other used bikes I have owned, this bike is a joy to hop on each and every time I drive it. I have lubed all the bearings etc with wd-40, and footpegs/stand after each ride.

Hahaha no, I am aware ofcourse that the bike will age in time. But how can I keep it from becoming the rustpiles that my friends bikes are? I want to take as good care of it as possible 

New plastic always makes a bike look 100x better. Frame guards. And just scrubbing everything. Cylinder, wheel hubs, etc. Anodized accessories also stay good for a long time. Clutch covers are often faded and give an old look. Replace those if you want. Seat covers fade from black to faded black/gray. It takes a lot of money to keep the bike mint if you actually ride it. After your first wreck, you wont obsess over it. When I got my new 17 250 SX, I kept that thing showroom till I washed the front end in a corner and scratched the plastic. Its a dirt bike

New plastic always makes a bike look 100x better. Frame guards. And just scrubbing everything. Cylinder, wheel hubs, etc. Anodized accessories also stay good for a long time. Clutch covers are often faded and give an old look. Replace those if you want. Seat covers fade from black to faded black/gray. It takes a lot of money to keep the bike mint if you actually ride it. After your first wreck, you wont obsess over it. When I got my new 17 250 SX, I kept that thing showroom till I washed the front end in a corner and scratched the plastic. Its a dirt bike
I bought a new 2016 I keep it looking mint and the secret is to clean it after every ride so that the dirt doesn't stain. I put a graphics kit on to protect the plastic and I waxed it all to make dirt removal easier. Most importantly I NEVER leave my bike dirty. I put her away spotless after every ride 20180527_162857_HDR.jpeg
  • Like 6

Bearings require grease to lubricate them. WD40 is a great De-Greaser. I wouldn't spray anything on bearings. You should ideally dis-assemble and pack grease into the bearing. WD40 will ruin grease. You're seals are new so it probably wont do any harm spraying them but in the future I wouldn't recommend it. If you ride in a lot of water then re-grease often. If its dry maybe less often. WD40 is not really a lubricant though. It leaves behind a very light oil but its only good for lubricating door hinges and other slow moving parts.

48 minutes ago, fmtnic said:

Bearings require grease to lubricate them. WD40 is a great De-Greaser. I wouldn't spray anything on bearings. You should ideally dis-assemble and pack grease into the bearing. WD40 will ruin grease. You're seals are new so it probably wont do any harm spraying them but in the future I wouldn't recommend it. If you ride in a lot of water then re-grease often. If its dry maybe less often. WD40 is not really a lubricant though. It leaves behind a very light oil but its only good for lubricating door hinges and other slow moving parts.

okay thank you. Yeah most of the stuff is dry around here, the occasional mud appears. Since its mostly just trails that people walk on here. But I tend to just wheelie over it or go on the grass beside it.

I just picked up a new KTM as well.  I’ve just been practicing the things I did with my old (new) bike to make it retain its shine.

I always wash the bike after any mud gets on it.  I don’t always have muddy rides, so I don’t always clean it.  When I do clean it, I just use a basic hose and jet nozzle, I never needed a power washer.  I then spray non sticker removing power sports spray all over the bike and let it sit for a few seconds, then thoroughly wash it all off.  

I use this stuff:

S100 12005L Total Cycle Cleaner Bottle - 1.32 Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WK4EC8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qNbmBb7JAPSDV

Its a little pricey, but it’s still half full after many washes, I bought it March of 2017, it works amazing, no scrubbing needed, I put it in a spray bottle and mist it over the bike.  I use a car wash brush if there’s dried on mud, or a wash cloth if more pressure is needed to remove grime.

I then dry the bike starting from the handlebar components down.  I try to get the engine as best as I can, but I don’t worry about the little droplets that are hard to reach.  If you have a compressed air machine you can blast the water off the bike first then towel dry or vice versa, but it’s not 100% nessessary.  

This stuff works amazingly well as a wax applied after the bike is dry:  

Maxima SC1 high gloss coating Spray - 12oz. #78920 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WK5PWQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_19bmBb9X3NYJQ

Then, I make sure to spray the brake and clutch lever metal pieces, shift lever, foot pegs, brake lever and spring and as many bolt heads and metal pieces as I can see with this:

Maxima 73920 MPPL Multi-Purpose Penetrant Lube - 14.5 oz. Aerosol https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WK3NE8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_10bmBb8QVQRDF

I try not to get it on the brake rotors/pads, but I do spray the metal brake components as best as I can.  I definitely recommend you spray some sort of lubricating anti rust on the metal components at least a few times a year.  I spray some on about every 3-5 washes, very lightly.  

You then want to lubricate the chain.  I used maxima chain lube on my last bike and now I’m trying the recommended motorex off road chain lube on my new bike.  Either will work.  I try to do mine after the bike drys, but sometimes I just do it after I’m done with all my other stuff.  I’ve never had a rusty or dirty chain.  

I also bought a cover for my bike because I don’t have a garage.  So my bike never sits in the rain.  Plastic scrapes and dings will eventually happen.  But, if you wash and maintain the general body of the bike, no one will notice scratches or dents, only you lol!

Edited by NewEngland400

52 minutes ago, LSHD said:

I rinse the bike after every ride. Spray a little SHOUT! on it a few times a year. It's a 2005.

5b3025b3e4b2d_SittingPrettySep22017.jpg.d269f867de353e88db3312225001bea6.jpg

Wow that is beautiful. Looks new to me man, I was just about to write if it was a 2010. But then I saw you write that it was a 2005 haha.

1 hour ago, NewEngland400 said:

I just picked up a new KTM as well.  I’ve just been practicing the things I did with my old (new) bike to make it retain its shine.

I always wash the bike after any mud gets on it.  I don’t always have muddy rides, so I don’t always clean it.  When I do clean it, I just use a basic hose and jet nozzle, I never needed a power washer.  I then spray non sticker removing power sports spray all over the bike and let it sit for a few seconds, then thoroughly wash it all off.  

I use this stuff:

S100 12005L Total Cycle Cleaner Bottle - 1.32 Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WK4EC8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qNbmBb7JAPSDV

Its a little pricey, but it’s still half full after many washes, I bought it March of 2017, it works amazing, no scrubbing needed, I put it in a spray bottle and mist it over the bike.  I use a car wash brush if there’s dried on mud, or a wash cloth if more pressure is needed to remove grime.

I then dry the bike starting from the handlebar components down.  I try to get the engine as best as I can, but I don’t worry about the little droplets that are hard to reach.  If you have a compressed air machine you can blast the water off the bike first then towel dry or vice versa, but it’s not 100% nessessary.  

This stuff works amazingly well as a wax applied after the bike is dry:  

Maxima SC1 high gloss coating Spray - 12oz. #78920 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WK5PWQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_19bmBb9X3NYJQ

Then, I make sure to spray the brake and clutch lever metal pieces, shift lever, foot pegs, brake lever and spring and as many bolt heads and metal pieces as I can see with this:

Maxima 73920 MPPL Multi-Purpose Penetrant Lube - 14.5 oz. Aerosol https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WK3NE8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_10bmBb8QVQRDF

I try not to get it on the brake rotors/pads, but I do spray the metal brake components as best as I can.  I definitely recommend you spray some sort of lubricating anti rust on the metal components at least a few times a year.  I spray some on about every 3-5 washes, very lightly.  

You then want to lubricate the chain.  I used maxima chain lube on my last bike and now I’m trying the recommended motorex off road chain lube on my new bike.  Either will work.  I try to do mine after the bike drys, but sometimes I just do it after I’m done with all my other stuff.  I’ve never had a rusty or dirty chain.  

I also bought a cover for my bike because I don’t have a garage.  So my bike never sits in the rain.  Plastic scrapes and dings will eventually happen.  But, if you wash and maintain the general body of the bike, no one will notice scratches or dents, only you lol!

Yeah, I ride in really tight woods. So I have dropped it a couple times already, but plastic is only like 100 dollars. Thanks for the wall, I will save this and buy the products you showed me. I know the bike will wear down ofc as it gets ridden, but when I see my friends's excs that are 2010 models and are rusted top to bottom I just reaaaally dont want my bike to end up like that. One of my buddies has an exc 125, never changed air filter or oil. Has gone 4000km, Im just curious to see what my bike will do after taking good care of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wex said:

Wow that is beautiful. Looks new to me man, I was just about to write if it was a 2010. But then I saw you write that it was a 2005 haha.

Thanks. The forks are of course changed out for 2006 SSS. I will usually completely wash the bike once a year, then religiously rinse it after every ride without exception then put it in front of a 3' industrial floor fan to dry it off. I also keep it in my little shop so it won't rust. ?

The-Shop-Private.jpg.b65fbd61cd0e9c4c57b39a98358f11b3.jpg

Edited by LSHD

39 minutes ago, LSHD said:

Thanks. The forks are of course changed out for 2006 SSS. I will usually completely wash the bike once a year, then religiously rinse it after every ride without exception.

by complete wash, you mean take components off etc? Oh mybad, picture didnt load in at the start. JEsus that is a huge place man! You own that?

Edited by wex

1 hour ago, wex said:

Yeah, I ride in really tight woods. So I have dropped it a couple times already, but plastic is only like 100 dollars. Thanks for the wall, I will save this and buy the products you showed me. I know the bike will wear down ofc as it gets ridden, but when I see my friends's excs that are 2010 models and are rusted top to bottom I just reaaaally dont want my bike to end up like that. One of my buddies has an exc 125, never changed air filter or oil. Has gone 4000km, Im just curious to see what my bike will do after taking good care of it.

That multi purpose lube I listed would have helped your friends rust problems most likely, if they applied it from the get go.  

Did your friends all buy their bikes in good condition or were they in not so good condition to begin with?  It sounds like they really are going out of their way to neglect them if they’re rusted all over and the one guy hasn’t changed his oil or cleaned his air filter for 4,000km?  I understand if money’s tight, but motor oil and air filter oil should be within the budget in a 4K km time frame.  That’s like 6-12 riding months to save $60 in maintence items.

As long as you do the opposite of what they’re doing your bike will be just fine my friend.  

On 6/23/2018 at 8:11 PM, wex said:

Three weeks ago I became the owner of a brand new EXC 250. Never been this happy, but I want to keep it this way. So what Im asking here is, how do I keep the bike from aging? I want this bike to be as fresh as possible all the time. I dont want it to be all shaky/uncomfortable as the other used bikes I have owned, this bike is a joy to hop on each and every time I drive it. I have lubed all the bearings etc with wd-40, and footpegs/stand after each ride.

Here is the deal, if I understand your post correctly this is not about having a pristine looking bike but maintaining the tight new feel.

Good news, don't wash the crap out of it, don't over do maintenance.

Good news the new KTMs feel great for alot of hours. Stock.

Do, keep an eye on your air filter.

Do replace stuff you bust.

Do be prepared to replace stuff. Your bike riden moderately will need brake pads, grips, wheel bearings, piston etc between 50-100 hrs. Change them!!!

Don't forget suspension, fresh oil and service.

Each bike/brand has it's weakness, keep an eye on issues others are having with similar bikes.

Do this stuff and your bike will feel fresh at 200 hrs.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2018 at 7:11 PM, wex said:

You have lubed the bearings with WD-40 ? Baaaad idea. Solvents wash away grease. Even high temp grease.

Use Oil Eater to remove oil that gets on the motor. Works fantastic. 

SC-1 'detailer in a can' works great.

Use spray 'dry lube' on all the pivot points (levers, pedals, etc) because that won't attract dirt

Use PJ-1 Blue 'invisible' chain lube. Never ever flings off.

Put Anti-seize on EVERY single fastener that touches unlike metal (steel on brass, steel on aluminum, etc) 

10 hours ago, NewEngland400 said:

That multi purpose lube I listed would have helped your friends rust problems most likely, if they applied it from the get go.  

Did your friends all buy their bikes in good condition or were they in not so good condition to begin with?  It sounds like they really are going out of their way to neglect them if they’re rusted all over and the one guy hasn’t changed his oil or cleaned his air filter for 4,000km?  I understand if money’s tight, but motor oil and air filter oil should be within the budget in a 4K km time frame.  That’s like 6-12 riding months to save $60 in maintence items.

As long as you do the opposite of what they’re doing your bike will be just fine my friend.  

I guess they think it’s cool to not care about the bikes. One of the exc’s was bought new, rest of them are used but they were really good looking all of them before their current owners got their hands on them