california Help make sugar pine ohv a better place

As some of you may have seen from either riding there or reading Bob's post's there has been lots of great work being done at sugar pine ohv. Matt Brownlee and his crew have been doing many reroutes and trail up grades around sugar pine.  He has another project going on right now. Its called the big sugar project. part of the big sugar project is a new trail from china wall to Robinson flat along the north side of Foresthill road. This will allow riders to access the high trails while doing a loop and not just up and back on same trail as it is now. Plus many repairs and trail up grades in and around the main trial system. If you have any questions go to usfs Tahoe forest web site and look at the maps. Please take a minute and send Matt an email supporting this project we need to have lots of support on this to get it done. Matt's email is mmbrownlee@fs.fed.us Thanks K Greene

• Like 8

I had a great phone call with Matt.  Times are right for re-igniting the Sierra Trail Maintenance Volunteers club.  stay tuned.     Going to help keep the lower trails even better for bigbob and friends.    :thumbsup:      

• Like 1

The number one goal of this project is making trails that are less affected by erosion and allowing the winter seasonal closure to be eliminated.

Here is a link to the maps of the proposed trail changes and the scoping documents - http://www.fs.fed.us/nepa/nepa_project_exp.php?project=49108

Here is the email address for public comment -  comments-pacificsouthwest-tahoe-american-river@fs.fed.us

Edited by NORCALRIDE
  • Like 2

Thanks for the links norcal. Guys just take a minute and send an email of support. This is a great project that will add over 25 miles of new trails.

• Like 1

I talked with Matt.  I think he has a very good understanding of creating win-win OHV trail systems, providing improved low maintenance trails, including new well designed single track trails,  for OHV riders and designing these re-routes to also help protect resources.   I submitted these formal comments

to the USFS; I have the following comments:

1. I support the process and agree the older trails and trail system are a challenge to maintain
  2. I agree that new trail re-routes using improved trail design standards will result in more resilient and longer lasting trails that will require less trail maintenance to protect the trail bed and natural resources.
  3. In support of my comment above, I have personally ridden the new loop 2 east side re-route and find the new trail route and its design to be an improved trail section compared to what part was decommissioned
  4. In the lower Sugarpine OHV area, those trail systems such as loop 1,2,3,4, lower 5 and 7, please consider the average beginning to intermediate rider skill set in designing turns
  5. I agree installing more well designed single track trail to replace older road and wider routes will improve system viability
  6. I agree improving system wide trail-connectively and trail signage will improve OHV recreation opportunities, and reduce trail route confusion which may have resulted in off trail riding in the past as riders were unsure of routes back to staging or how access other trails.       
  7. Please install the new trails and trail re-routes before decommissioning old trails
  8. I support the use of the trail bed moisture content surveys, in consideration of weather events, rather than fixed dates for wet weather seasonal closures.
  9. Consider adding more staging areas not reducing staging areas as it will spread out riders and reduce overcrowding, and reduce heavier trail use near limited staging areas.  
  10. Please actively seek OHV volunteers to help maintain the trail system

• Like 5

Thanks arider278j & bigbob!

I emailed Matt and submitted a formal comment (pretty much in line with Bob's). It would be great if the new trails they have planned become a reality! 

They could use everyone's support:

mailto:comments-pacificsouthwest-tahoe-american-river@fs.fed.us

Edited by FolsomKyleXR
  • Like 1