KYB conversion for the XT

Tried a search first, and nothing so.. I've had my '17 long enough now that I'm getting the itch to upgrade. Not going to trade up, I love the package as is except the forks. Got the Fox shock, so that's good to go. By now I figure(hope) there's a definitive, go-to method, so if the experts wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction, I can start to collect pieces. I'd appreciate any help/ advice.

Edited by drumiv

8 hours ago, drumiv said:

Tried a search first, and nothing so.. I've had my '17 long enough now that I'm getting the itch to upgrade. Not going to trade up, I love the package as is except the forks. Got the Fox shock, so that's good to go. By now I figure(hope) there's a definitive, go-to method, so if the experts wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction, I can start to collect pieces. I'd appreciate any help/ advice.

Quick list is;

KYB Forks - 2010+ forks, offset differs between years/brands/bikes

Fork lowering bushing with revalve/sprung including ICS spring.

Front axle from same year fork

Triple clamps - depending on fork offset and price. 2tRR, 4TRR or Boano racing billet clamp.

Front brake calibrator bracket

Wheel spacers - Hyde racing makes some but seems hit and miss on quality

Steering head bearings

Bar risers

Save your money on the Beta CC kit. Other then everything is done for you, the end result is the same so why not save some.

2 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Weantright has a pair of SSS's on his wife's XT. It feels like you're floating on air compared to my modified stockers.

Better this year especially for the lighter weight riders.

2 hours ago, weantright said:

Quick list is;

KYB Forks - 2010+ forks, offset differs between years/brands/bikes

Fork lowering bushing with revalve/sprung including ICS spring.

Front axle from same year fork

Triple clamps - depending on fork offset and price. 2tRR, 4TRR or Boano racing billet clamp.

Front brake calibrator bracket

Wheel spacers - Hyde racing makes some but seems hit and miss on quality

Steering head bearings

Bar risers

Save your money on the Beta CC kit. Other then everything is done for you, the end result is the same so why not save some.

Better this year especially for the lighter weight riders.

Cool, thanks. Is there a "best year" for what I'm doing, fork wise? Also, your Beta CC kit comment; are you saying better way to go than the KYB?

Edited by drumiv

56 minutes ago, drumiv said:

Cool, thanks. Is there a "best year" for what I'm doing, fork wise? Also, your Beta CC kit comment; are you saying better way to go than the KYB?

Watch the total offset with clamps and fork. Otherwise the newer the better for cleaner low hour fork. Personally I feel the Sachs isn't worth the extra money over the KYB. Add in the older ones are prone to wear you have better overall package and performance. Knowledge base is also stronger.

• Like 1