12v conversion on a 250

I've been tarting up an old 92(ish) dr250 and it's still a sod to start. Weak spark. I've got the jetting sorted using a colourtune kit and rebuilt the carb and cleaned the stator but it's still difficult to start even with a new plug and upgraded coil. It has no battery, Kick start only, and I've made my own very simple loom from scratch but I'm still only getting 2.6v on idle rising to 6v when revved. 

Tucked away in the corner of the workshop is an old gn250 project bike.

I was thinking of ripping the stator out of that and bunging it in the DR along with the ecu and reg/rec. 

Would i be correct in thinking that the windings on the GN stator would be different, thus giving me 12v and a fatter spark? If so would that potentially make it easier to start? Anyone tried this?

Thanks - Jon

the alternator is probly buggered that's why your not getting a good spark

or just give the  alternator a clean:thumbsup:!!

Alternator? It doesn't have a battery. Do you mean the stator? I've cleaned that.

My thinking is this: if it's only 3v on idle (which is probably kickover rpm unless i take a flying leap at the thing), a 12v system should put out a higher voltage at tickover (more windings on each core at the same rpm). More voltage = bigger spark, yes?

13 hours ago, Jon Stewart said:

Alternator? It doesn't have a battery. Do you mean the stator? I've cleaned that.

My thinking is this: if it's only 3v on idle (which is probably kickover rpm unless i take a flying leap at the thing), a 12v system should put out a higher voltage at tickover (more windings on each core at the same rpm). More voltage = bigger spark, yes?

no, the lighting/ charging circuit is completely independent of the ignition circuit.

Here's mine. Measuring the voltage going to the coil it rises with the rpms. If a standard kick is (for example) 2000rpm it would only generate around 4v. I was thinking that with a 12v system that same 2000rpm kick would generate a lot more volts due to the increased number of windings on the stator. Or am I getting this wrong?

20180410_184352.png