NC Title revoked

New here so if I am not in the correct place please point me in the correct direction..

Anyone ever have a NC motorcycle title revoked? I have an XR400 (that was titled, registered and plated in KS) that I purchased in KS about 4 years back. Transferred the title and registered it in NC (nothing on the title about off road only). It has been plated, inspected and ridden in NC for the last 4+ years. I get a letter in the mail that says my title has been cancelled and ordered to surrender my title. I called DMV and inquired. They said the bike was not road worthy. I explained that it has been registered, insured, plated on the NC roads for the last 4+ years. Inspected each year by NC certified inspection station. They said I must surrender the title. I asked on what grounds because it was just inspected and passed. I was told by the lady on the phone "Because I said so". Anyone experience similar. Help!!!!

I believe it is federal law that states must honor title transfers from other states.  If the bike was street legal in another state and titled as such your state is obligated to honor that.  Right or wrong though, they have decided to screw with you specifically.  You need to contact a lawyer and will likely spend money regardless of outcome.

36 minutes ago, ss-racing said:

That's crazy.  Isn't an XR400 a dual sport bike that was street legal as it rolled off the showroom floor?  

I'm curious what county you live in, Wake maybe ?  

The XR400R was never sold as a legal D/S bike off the showroom floor.  Always was dirt only, same as the XR250R, 600R, and 650R.

There is still an XR650L (The L is the important part) that is sold as a legal D/S bike...

Have I ever heard
"Because I said so",
you bet, I'm married!
I think I would do some research on NC DMV, and see if you can find info/ policy on reclassification of a motorcycle, and ya might want to keep it off the street until you have documents to verify it has been settled.
Keep us informed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, piltoyougram said:

Eastriech! I beg to differ with you. Honda made a XL600 back in the "80's and yes it was street legal with all the bell's and whistle's. I rode with a fellow who still has his. Titled and plated for the last 25 years that I know of.

XL is a street legal dual sport. XR is not. Big difference in that one letter..