05 140L high altitude jet?

I didn't see a jetting chart in the Kawi manual. For those in Salt Lake City or Denver, or anyone else who rides a 140 or similar bike in the 4k-11k altitude ft range, what jets are you using? I was thinking of a 90main and keep the stock secondary. I'd like to set it to 6k ft. Just bought the bike and it has substantial low end hesitation. Also, the jets are EXTREMELY difficult to find on this bike, none of the Kawi dealers in SLC have it. They all say it will take 2 weeks. Is there a trick - like a lawn mower engine- that I can steal one off of?

• Like 1

Yeah, there are no adjustments on the front shocks, the jet changes are tedious, the manual is crap. I agree with you. I still cant believe there is no AF screw? Am I missing something, Ive never seen a carb without one? I know Kawasakis are know to be cheap but this is too much. My Honda has none of these problems and is much better thought out. I guess that's the difference from a full sized and small bike... Still this is the last Kawasaki I'll ever own.

Edited by Chris Hfsda
  • Like 1

Try Jetsrus. He has everything, and his service is good for jet availability. As for suspension, I did upgrade the forks with RaceTech emulators and heavier springs. That mod did work really well.

The last attempt I may make to resolve the engine issues, will be a big bore kit, which I hear helps, especially with the larger Mikuni carb. But, that mod may just be more wasted money. Basically, I wish I bought her the honda. Too bad she prefered Green over Red : (

• Like 1

This is my wife's bike too. I'm currently rebuilding my rear shock on my 450r and figured that I would take her's out on trails. She weighs about 50lbs less than me but it got me looking for clickers after taking a 5 ft jump and bottoming out front/rear. For her, I'm sure it's fine. The low end hesitation killed me; I rebuilt the carb, still hesitation. At high altitudes I couldnt get it to wheelie over a log without having it peged and popping the clutch. The bike is clean, clean now. I think with proper jetting it can be usable. When you had the bike in Denver, did you just mess with the main or you change the secondary too?

I messed with the Main & Pilot. In the end I went to BBR Motorsports, and purchased a Mikuni Carb kit. I also installed a ProCircuit pipe. I just can’t say it works well. Like I said, I’m somewhat grateful my girlfriend doesn’t ride too often, so I don’t have to worry about it. But I am still frustrated with the lack of reliable performance. 

Try visit BBR’s website and see if you can find some support. Their website is pretty good these days, and they do have some helpful charts.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont own that bike but lived at 5500 feet my whole life. Rule of thumb is 4% smaller main jet for every 2500 feet. I have always used 92% of stock size for main. Pilot is half that so 2% per 2500 feet. I usually go one step smaller jet on pilot. Air screw at 1-1/2 turns out to start, then tune by riding. I ride from 5000-12000 feet on those jets without issue, 2 stroke or 4 the same. If you ride lower elevation, rejet. If you have aftermarket exhaust you gotta play around with it, just a tad richer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just bought a 140 KLX and also live at 5280 ft.  I know it's pretty gutless, but it's just a pit bike and for people to just screw around on the property with.  Nothing hard core.  I don't want to start dumping money into it unless it's a proven combo (new carb, pipe), so I'm just planning on opening up the airbox and taking the exhaust baffle out to start.  Hopefully that gains me something.  Am I dreaming???

• 1 year later...

Yep any jetting / elevation corrected chart will do to get in the ballpark,

just compare how many jet sizes (or percentage as in the chart posted above) is changed from sea level (stock) to the desired elevation.

Edited by mlatour