xr100+cr80 wheel+crf150r caliper=stopping power!

Posted (edited)

its a tight fit. 

vOwbb6v.jpg

i machined 2mm off the mounting face for the disk and shaved the other side of the hub as much as i could to gain some room. i moved the wheel slightly off center from the hub when re lacing it because the bump on the left fork pushes the hub and rotor over. i also had to shave a bit off of the caliper to avoid hitting the outer spokes. it works great though i can now do endo on the 100.

de6Yq0L.jpg

Edited by MCRIPPPer

39 minutes ago, MCRIPPPer said:

i can now do endo on the 100.

We just passed medical usage in Oklahoma, 

So I might be doing endo on my 200 before long :lol: :p

Just kidding, I know what you meant. That's kick ass you figured out a way to have a disk brake on the 100. 

people have been sitting around talking about doing this for years so i thought i should crank out a bracket and see how it works. 

I've seen one before, but it was literally cut from aluminum and pretty ugly. This looks sweet!!!  Now, you can run a 17" wheel on an 80 without the headache of waiting for one to pop up on ebay.

dang i sold a mintttttt 17" 1985 cr80 wheel not to long ago.! perfect for this !.

I have done this before and I was not happy with the result.  I found the cast nub for the drum brake to be a poor locator with the rounded edges leading onto the fork tube.  I also seem to remember the clearances being really tight on the caliper side.  Is the wheel 100% centered in the forks.  For me, over time the caliper bracket would frett on the fork leg.

yes the caliper is real close the the spokes i actually sanded a bit off the back of it. i know what you mean about the nub. i machined the plate for a really close fit and carefully filed it so it fits really tight when its bolted in. hopefully it holds up. how thick was your plate? i made mine out of 1/4 plate. 

I did 3/16 because I had it in the garage ha.  I ended up making a custom stem and putting a CR80 front on.

mine is holding up pretty good. it has a few hours on it and my GF crashed it :lol:

did you use hardware store aluminum? that stuff is alloy for doing sheet metal work mostly. not nearly as hard as "aircraft aluminum" 6061. 

• Like 1

I never had the issue with the plate, it was the fretting of the fork lower.  I used 6061-T6.  I am exited that you are having good luck.  Did you ever say if the front wheel was centered in the forks?  Id almost wager that it is not from my experiences.  To center the wheel, I had to mill off some of the numb for the brake drum.

i used the spokes to pull the rim centered in the fork.