Help with standing

I see a lot of people running the rear brake with so much slack because it covers up their issue of dragging the rear brake and also make sure it easier for them to use the rear brakes when sitting. 

I run mine mine with almost zero slack, makes using the rear brakes effectively while standing a breeze. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If your rear brake pedal is setup low to allow braking while sitting with your foot on the peg, that may be your problem. You might try raising your brake pedal engagement point so you can effectively use it while standing. Yes, this will make rear braking while seated impossible with your foot on the peg. That’s why most pro riders brake while seated with their foot off the peg, bracing their knee firmly against the shroud and using ankle flexion to modulate the rear brake.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

The more standing I do the more I wish I could get some Stegz Pegs for my bike but they don't make 'em for my '04 200exc. I feel like they would really help me from getting out of position. Yep, need to be in better shape, yep, need better technique, etc etc but they seem like a "crutch" that would help me be safer and better. 

The more standing I do the more I wish I could get some Stegz Pegs for my bike but they don't make 'em for my '04 200exc. I feel like they would really help me from getting out of position. Yep, need to be in better shape, yep, need better technique, etc etc but they seem like a "crutch" that would help me be safer and better. 
Some guys fabricate them using alloy plate and doorstops.

When I got back into riding a couple of years ago I put a set on my CRF and they helped a lot. But after a few months gym work I took them off as I didn't need them anymore. Stand all the time now.

1 minute ago, Red NT said:

Some guys fabricate them using alloy plate and doorstops.

When I got back into riding a couple of years ago I put a set on my CRF and they helped a lot. But after a few months gym work I took them off as I didn't need them anymore. Stand all the time now.

Yeah, I have toyed around with fabricating some but am choosing the get stronger/better path. Everytime I think about getting stronger I beckon back to the old 80's women workout videos of them using the "leg spreader" doo hickey that they would squeeze together with their thighs. I bet that would help alot as it seems like being able to grip the bike with your inner thighs is a huge part of this control.

Yeah, I have toyed around with fabricating some but am choosing the get stronger/better path. Everytime I think about getting stronger I beckon back to the old 80's women workout videos of them using the "leg spreader" doo hickey that they would squeeze together with their thighs. I bet that would help alot as it seems like being able to grip the bike with your inner thighs is a huge part of this control.
Weighted lunges (holding dumbells in hands) are good, also squats and calf raises. Just don't start wearing those 1980's leg warmers while you work out. That would be weird......

• 4 weeks later...
I like to think about it as ya need to be balancing on your pegs rather than just standing on them. If you always position your body (and feet) in a way that the force from acceleration and braking all goes down through your feet ,into the pegs, into the tyres.... you really dont have to do much else (in most situations. Precludes some straight line, whoop type stuff). Maximum traction, minimum effort.

Exactly!

So here is an update on my ability to ride standing up. Thw last post I made I was doing better after rotating my bars forward but was still having a bit of trouble staying forward and was still getting pulled back while accelerating. It was better but not where I wanted to be. I read all the posts about vuiksing strength and I while I did I stumbled upon a video from Johnny Walker talking fitness. He was saying that he stayed away from building too much muscle in his arms to avoid arm pump, he said that the bigger his arms got the more he got the pump so I started thinking that there is more to it than just strength. I started thinking about riding a mountain bike and yoyr body position when riding one. I realized that your weight is naturally biased toward the front of the bike or more on your hands. I started looking at bar placement but could only find one video that helped. The guy was talking about how far foreard trials riders run their bars and that I should run mind in line with the fork or just forward of them. I went into the garage and stood on the bike in the attack position and realized that with ny hads on the bars all of my weight was on my legs alone and that if I moved my hads to where I felt like I was on a mountain bike ie: with weight on my hand I would have to rotate my bars another inch to inch and a half more forward. I made the adjustment and tried the static standing again and foubd that in the attack position I now had weight on my hads and my legs with a bias forward. It felt a bit strage while seated but I knew I would get used to it quickly. So long story short I went for a ride.....and? Well to be honest it was night and day. I found that I had no issues staying on the bike. Accelerating was a non issue. I didnt have to death grip with my legs or arms. I was able to ride tight single track and wooped out double track with ease. The natural forward weight cancelled out the rearward pull and gave me the same kind of natural balance you have on a mountain bike. The only place I still had pull was uphill but that is more of a work out legs thing and I lacked the let strength to get low and forward. When I am fresh I dont have the problem only when my legs get tired. I need to.work on quad strength but the upper body doesnt get taxes at all. It was like magic all of my balance problems disappeared when I got my neutral weighr forward on the bike. Now that being said I am by no means an expert and this is only my opinion and experience but if you arw having trouble it ia worth a try. Thanks again for all of the help and advice so far in this thread I will post a few pics of my bar placement and body placement when I get come tonight.

• Like 1

Donnelly1979, do you know that your bars are adjustable, where they mount on the tripple clamps?

The mounts for the bars have 2 sets of holes, forward and rear.

The mounts themselves can be turned 180degrees to give 4 mounting points between both sets of mounting holes

Donnelly1979, do you know that your bars are adjustable, where they mount on the tripple clamps?

The mounts for the bars have 2 sets of holes, forward and rear.
The mounts themselves can be turned 180degrees to give 4 mounting points between both sets of mounting holes
I did yes. I am 6' tall so moving the mounts all the way forward was the first thing I did but rotating them forward was the difference for sure. Getting my weight on my hands when standing still was the game changer
  • Like 1

I did yes. I am 6' tall so moving the mounts all the way forward was the first thing I did but rotating them forward was the difference for sure. Getting my weight on my hands when standing still was the game changer
Here is a good pic of how far I rotated them20180819_135940.jpeg

I'm 6'4" and don't have my bars rotated that far forward, but I have Fastway EVO3 pegs in the low boy position, about 10mm lower, and 10 mm back from standard.
They are a very good peg.
Dropping the pegs and moving them back should acheive the same result....putting your weight over your hands

1 minute ago, donnelly1979 said:
20 minutes ago, livefivetwofive said:
Putting your weight into your hands is absolutely bassakwards but experimentation is the father of learning.

Why is it ass backwards? Every single mountain bike it the world sets you up that way when standing?

For explanation refer to what ive written previously in this post somewhere and also what every top rider/coach has ever said