how remove that stupid odi grib rubber???

Hi,

I got pro tapper pillow grips and want to install on my ktm 500 exc '17.

Clutch side was quick but throttle side it's pain...

Looks like the grip rubber is glued on very tightly,

I cut it in few places, used brake cleaner, heated with hair dryer

and won't come off. 

any ideas how remove this stupid odi grips?

If you are referring to ODI lock-on style grips,

the throttle side grip has a molded-in throttle tube which replaces the original tube when installing lock-on grips.

(there's also a throttle cable cam that snaps on the end)

If that's the case on your bike, you'll likely need a standard throttle tube to re-install standard type glue on grips.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, motf said:

I thought I made it clear, I don't want lock on grips.

Then you need a new throttle tube, the lock on grip on the throttle side wasn't intended to be removed from the tube.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

If anyone runs into this problem and don’t want to spend money on a new throttle tube. Soak the lock on grip in gasoline for just a minute or two. You can scrape off the rubber with a butter knife

I thought I made it clear, I don't want lock on grips.

Why not? I’d been wanting lock on grips for dirtbikes for years before they came out, I’ve had them on my mtn bikes for a long time. I can’t stand gluing and wiring grips. Such an outdated setup really

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dittohead said:

Why not? I’d been wanting lock on grips for dirtbikes for years before they came out, I’ve had them on my mtn bikes for a long time. I can’t stand gluing and wiring grips. Such an outdated setup really

no not outdated at all, I can get any grips I want for 10$ but ODI limited selection for 20$ - nice marketing move...

besides no need to glue anything, you wet it with gasoline, slide it on and that's it, never had problems. Sometimes I put wire or 2 to be 100% sure.

You think that one screw holding ODI grips are bulletproof? I don't think so.

Now I'm getting metals tusk throttle tube and will fit it with any cheap grip I want to.

Edited by motf

8 hours ago, motf said:

no not outdated at all, I can get any grips I want for 10$ but ODI limited selection for 20$ - nice marketing move...

besides no need to glue anything, you wet it with gasoline, slide it on and that's it, never had problems. Sometimes I put wire or 2 to be 100% sure.

You think that one screw holding ODI grips are bulletproof? I don't think so.

Now I'm getting metals tusk throttle tube and will fit it with any cheap grip I want to.

The odi grips might as well be bullet proof.

And you get a fresh throttle tube every go.

Metal throttle tubes are dumb, less you get the one that has a delrin (plastic) bushing and a bearing at the end, which would hella not be a busted cheap ass tusk....

Otherwise they just chew up your bar, aluminum on aluminum is just crap....

• Like 1