Anyone Use A Car As Their Bike Hauler?

I've always had pick ups and SUVs. My RAV-4 is going on 16 years old and I've been thinking of switching to a car. I have a 4x6 utility trailer that I'm going to use as my moto hauler. I've been looking at Camrys or my neighbor is a salesman at a Honda dealership and said he can get me a good deal on an Accord. Like the Mazda 6 too. My brother got a good deal on his Civic from him. Doesn't have to be brand new, a couple of year old off lease is fine with me. I know both will accept Class II hitches, but it seems with the Accord it uses existing bolt holes while the Camry needs a couple of holes drilled. Anyone regret choosing a car?  

19 hours ago, BlackBuzzard said:

Trucks and suv's are selling like hotcakes these days......gonna cost you.

You can get a killer deal on most 4door sedans....fewer folks want one.

This! If the towing is relatively light duty a sedan is by far the best option today. Initial price, comfort and all-round MPG is a huge win. Just be sure it has a decent trunk and some have fold down rear seats. Heavy duty shocks might be a good idea.

• Like 2

I have never understood sedans. Since picking up a small recliner and putting it in the back of my 78 VW scirocco I have favored hatchbacks. While my 78 buick park avenue had a huge trunk it could not carry something as big as the tiny VW could. If I was doing a car I would get a hatchback. Before getting my truck (which I bought for things other than just towing a dirt bike) I put a hitch on the toyota matrix I bought one of my kids and towed my dirt bike around with it no problem. It'll hold a lot of gear in the back.

4 hours ago, Marylander said:

I have never understood sedans. Since picking up a small recliner and putting it in the back of my 78 VW scirocco I have favored hatchbacks. While my 78 buick park avenue had a huge trunk it could not carry something as big as the tiny VW could. If I was doing a car I would get a hatchback. Before getting my truck (which I bought for things other than just towing a dirt bike) I put a hitch on the toyota matrix I bought one of my kids and towed my dirt bike around with it no problem. It'll hold a lot of gear in the back.

Yep. But those seem to be becoming less plentiful also. Only ones I see are the very small ones.

1 hour ago, Piney Woods said:

Yep. But those seem to be becoming less plentiful also. Only ones I see are the very small ones.

Yeah, I think you're right. We seem to want to take the hatchbacks, jack them up, and pretend they're trucks now...