Leatt Dual Axis Knee/Shin Guard vs Alpinestars SX-1 (or others)?

Hey all,

I'm debating for a decent set of knee/shin guards with a brace mechanism (not the full braces though).  Was wondering if anyone had any opinions between the:

Leatt Dual Axis Knee/Shin Guard (click here)

Alpinestars SX-1 Knee Guards (click here)

or any others?  I think EVS makes decent ones, and Leatt also makes one that you can slip on.  

I'm just a casual trail rider, but want some good protection as I'm about to enter my 30s and missing work for injuries is not acceptable.

No kidding, it's like this question is made for me.

After 10+yrs I finally caved and bought another set of knee-pads/shin guards. I went with the Leatt units after trying on multiple pairs at the shop. I've got about 10hrs on the Leatt units and have to say they are quite confidence inspiring considering what I've known so far. They fit well into the boot, feel good around the calf and knee, don't move in the cup (have a floating disconnected feeling) and over good mobility. Overall I'm impressed with the fit, feel and overall protection they provide. 

But, there is 1 issue I cannot for the life of me understand and was actually going to phone Leatt about it because no matter how hard I try, I can't fathom why they built them this way. On the inside of knee in each cup, there are two 'bulging' areas. Which are A: quite annoying..B: make the bike/legs feel wider. I actually rode with them yesterday with the right one in the left side just to see if they screwed up the tags, and surprisingly they weren't any less comfortable that way. I'm going to try another ride tomorrow and see, but I think I'm going to wear them backwards from now on... Overall, A+ product so far for me... 

I've attached sideways pictures for you to turn you phone and see what I'm talking about. I see no reason why Leatt couldn't put those on the outside of the cup... 

20180703_151714.jpg

20180703_151718.jpg

20180703_151738.jpg

• Like 2

No experience with the SX1's.

Have a pair of Dual Axis.  Not a big fan tbh. 

On the upside, they're very lightweight, stay cool (lots of ventilation), and flex nicely on the knee.  Great fit. 

Downside, they're not very durable (broke a peg off the buckle on the first or second time I wore them), and they don't offer a lot of coverage. 

Ended up wearing hockey knee pads most of the snow season instead of these, because of the poor coverage and quality issues. 

Bought a pair of Thor Force guards, the newer model.  Had a couple pairs of the older-style ones and liked them - good balance of fit/comfort and protection. 

Biggest complaint about the Thor is the velcro on the back of the legs.  I ran some stitches about 1/2" inside the neoprene then trimmed the velcro back so the velcro didn't chafe my leg.  Much more comfortable to wear now.

Original, with stitch line where I secured it, before I cut back the velcro:

IMG_20180127_144303998-L.jpg

Trimmed back and zig-zag stitch'd the edges down.

IMG_20180127_150302177-L.jpg

IMG_20180127_164653115-L.jpg

Casual trail riding, I would get the Leatt 3DF models.  Way more comfortable and have good protection and stay put.  I have hit my knee hard on the end of cut trees and hardly felt it.  I wear an older version of the the 5.0 knee guards.  But they offer a big variety that includes some hard protection.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/2233/58200/Leatt-3DF-5.0-Knee-Guards?c=13

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/2233/58198/Leatt-3DF-AirFlex-Pro-Knee-Guards?c=13

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/2233/77569/Leatt-3DF-6.0-Knee-Guards?c=737

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/2233/77570/Leatt-3DF-Hybrid-EXT-Knee-Shin-Guards?c=207

5 hours ago, Hans Schmid said:

No kidding, it's like this question is made for me.

After 10+yrs I finally caved and bought another set of knee-pads/shin guards. I went with the Leatt units after trying on multiple pairs at the shop. I've got about 10hrs on the Leatt units and have to say they are quite confidence inspiring considering what I've known so far. They fit well into the boot, feel good around the calf and knee, don't move in the cup (have a floating disconnected feeling) and over good mobility. Overall I'm impressed with the fit, feel and overall protection they provide. 

But, there is 1 issue I cannot for the life of me understand and was actually going to phone Leatt about it because no matter how hard I try, I can't fathom why they built them this way. On the inside of knee in each cup, there are two 'bulging' areas. Which are A: quite annoying..B: make the bike/legs feel wider. I actually rode with them yesterday with the right one in the left side just to see if they screwed up the tags, and surprisingly they weren't any less comfortable that way. I'm going to try another ride tomorrow and see, but I think I'm going to wear them backwards from now on... Overall, A+ product so far for me... 

I've attached sideways pictures for you to turn you phone and see what I'm talking about. I see no reason why Leatt couldn't put those on the outside of the cup... 

20180703_151714.jpg

20180703_151718.jpg

20180703_151738.jpg

This is exactly the same experience I have had with these. 

Fit, feel, comfort and protection are really good, a bit wide at the pivot point.

i thought about swapping them over, however I was concerned about the buckle on the inside coming off due to rubbing. 

But I'm now thinking that may not even be an issue. 

A bit slimmer on the inside and these would be perfect. 

Let me be clear, I've had these for about a year and don't really notice it now, however when I first got them it was definetly noticeable. 

I initially came from basic pads so anything wider would be noticed. 

I have been wearing the dual axis for about 2 months now racing enduros & hare scrambles almost every weekend and they seem fine.  I used to run the 3DF's and I liked them but I've had 2 instances of damage just above my knee that If felt something that went up higher could have helped.  One was a gash that resulted in 6 stitches and the other was an extremely hard impact that resulted in a torn quadriceps.  I can't be sure these would have prevented either, but they definitely protect up higher than the 3DF's.  I can't speak for the a-stars.

I have been using the Least Dual Axis for last 3 year's and love them. Very solid protection, fit is great (by the there is a left & right side) and comfortable even in the heat. I use the EVS TUG knee brace socks which adds to the comfort.

Anyway, I have to let you know during a crash, while wearing them, I tore my ACL, meniscus and something else. It's been a long recovery since surgery and have to wait about 8 months to ride again. That said, I will be wearing knee braces from here on out! Get knee braces!! Even if they're used, from CL, ebay or something.

I've been wearing the Leatt's for a couple years.  I really like them.  My only complaint is the straps have stretched out so they are getting loose on me.

I don't want any injuries (I've had more than my fair share of orthopaedic surgeries) but I've heard it's better to screw up your knee than your hip.  So I've been using knee guards.  Doesn't matter what we wear we can still get injured.

I didn’t have any luck with the guards your asking about? I wear Thor Force knee/shin guards. They fit well and give good protection for the shin, knee and lower thigh. Bottom line you have to go with what is comfortable and you feel safe in. 

I know you mentioned you weren't interested in full braces, but the Mobius X8 are worth a look.   As well as a brace they provide full impact protection through the kneecap area.   Prior to these I wore Thor knee/shin guards and I've had torn ACL twice and miniscus once.  Those injuries are no fun and lay you up for a while.   I now wear the X8's over EVS knee brace socks.  So long as you order the proper size, and wear them properly you barely even notice you have them on and the support they provide is amazing!

IMG_8444.JPG

IMG_8445.PNG

• Like 2

I know you mentioned you weren't interested in full braces, but the Mobius X8 are worth a look.   As well as a brace they provide full impact protection through the kneecap area.   Prior to these I wore Thor knee/shin guards and I've had torn ACL twice and miniscus once.  Those injuries are no fun and lay you up for a while.   I now wear the X8's over EVS knee brace socks.  So long as you order the proper size, and wear them properly you barely even notice you have them on and the support they provide is amazing!
IMG_8444.JPG.988db66908281f0a3dc5620f4237c494.JPG
IMG_8445.PNG.8fda5c2f23300f865a0905140fd15c14.PNG
Yea +1 on the X8's. I picked up the POD K4 recently and am not impressed for such a well rated brace. I haven't ridden with them but they just seem like they wouldn't do a whole lot. Knee protection wise, from impact protection, the Leatt's hands down. Hard to tell how much rotational support you would get but didn't seem that great, obviously better than a knee pad.

Anyway, Pod's just didn't fit me well. Returning them and the plan is the Mobius X8's.
  • Like 1