Cr500 on trails??

I have had a cr480 and 2 cr500's for trail riding. Length of ride will be limited by gas mileage. I would only consider another big bore 2 stroke if hill climbs were a regular part of the ride, these bikes allow you to play on long steep climbs.

yea, i rode mine in trails, 12 yrs ago when I didn't know better.... even raced it in a WORCS nat'l. that swung through TX (Paige, TX of all places!)

It can be done, but that's just way too much motor for trail work. A 500 needs room to stretch its legs.

I'm 2x faster and have more fun on a CR250. And my kicker leg is happier -a 500 will blow out your knee if it kick backs and backfire same time.

Edited by jeddclampette

yes, 

did a heap of years on a steelie then a 02 cr250 converted chassis.

pwk and 01 cr250 ignition.

Monster high climber, was great in single track until the tracks got slow and technical,

Thats were the gearbox ratios let it down.

Currently on a 05 cr250 with a 01 cr250 engine, still no enduro bike but much more enjoyable to ride

Here's my .02:

I've owned an 1999 cr250, 2002 CR250, 2003 CR500AF, and currently a 2012 CR250AF.  For me it has nothing to do with the power output of a 500.  You can tune power delivery with porting, FWW, pipes, and throttle control.  I found that for medium tight woods ridding the 500 just had to much crank gyro effect which slowed down the flick ability of the bike.  I just couldn't change direction quick enough on the 500..and it took more effort... It wanted to go straight(er)..  I know it was the engine because my 02 250 and the 03 500AF both were set up the same with FC trail set suspension and were ridden on the same trails, some times the very same weekend (had both bikes at the same time).  The bikes were twins except the engine.

I sold the 500af and focused on the 250 for woods riding.  If your version of trail riding is more open, less technical, then brute power may be more valuable than responsive handling.