Broken ribs

So.... a limb tossed me off the bike and down a steep embankment. It’s been a little less than a week and it’s clear I’ve broken a rib or two. Bottom two on my left side. Other ribs and chest were hurt too but I think just strained. Anyone have experience with riding with these? I have a pretty high pain tolerance and feel like I can ride soon as long my as I don’t crash, cough or sneeze. Am I going through exacerbate the healing process?

• Like 1

Broken ribs poke holes in lungs. Fractured ribs can become broken ribs, and poke holes in lungs. I speak from recent experience. Heal up for at least 3-4 weeks. On the other hand...I was tentatively back in the saddle by 2 wks. It was a big mistake. The 1st pothole made me scream and I nearly crashed again.

• Like 4

Broken ribs poke holes in lungs. Fractured ribs can become broken ribs, and poke holes in lungs. I speak from recent experience. Heal up for at least 3-4 weeks. On the other hand...I was tentatively back in the saddle by 2 wks. It was a big mistake. The 1st pothole made me scream and I nearly crashed again.

Mine are lower ribs. Not lung level.. oddly swimming with my daughter was more painful than most anything.

Beer is a crazy good pain reliever too. No joke, it seems to relax the muscles.
  • Like 1

my experience is cracked rib ~6 weeks til it feels good again. If ya broke them in two, it can be much longer.  X-ray?

I cracked one skiing this winter...had to goto kayak camp 6weeks later and it was still sore but didn't keep me from doing anything

• Like 1

I had been thinking I should come up with my own "cleared to ride/race again" list. 

Something like you can do:

10 reps bench press of xxx lbs

10 reps squats with xxx lbs

x number of situps

run x miles in a certain time

etc.  (cover movements for shoulders, wrist, etc etc)

and until you can do this baseline type workout, no dirt bike ride/race.

And yes, like most everyone, I ride before I should and often regret it.

Fractured 3 ribs on front and same ones around the back basically 6 fractures ,dislocated left shoulder and a few bruises and skin missing on my last getting off ,had the pick myself up and ride it home ,doctor said 6 to 8 weeks ,I was riding a bit at week two but not for long ,gradually spending more time riding but still painful , mine took alot longer that 8 weeks due to refracturing them

My guess is, if you're even thinking about riding again already, they're not broken. Broken ribs can be one of the more painful bones to break because every move and every breath brings intense pain. Even though there's nothing doctors can do to help them heal, I'd go get an X-ray to help you with a recovery plan. 

I've both broken ribs and torn intercostal muscles on seperate occasions; they both feel very similar, but the torn muscles are less intense and heal a little quicker. Hopefully you just pulled or deeply bruised something. 

I swear injuries always/only happen at the beginning of riding season! I hope you feel better soon. 

Hard to tell the difference between broken, cracked, or displaced ribs. Often they’ll just displace and crack the cartilage. Still painful. I’d go by your pain threshold. If you had 3 ribs broken all the way through, i really don’t think you’d be considering riding. I’m no doctor, but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

• Like 2

My guess is, if you're even thinking about riding again already, they're not broken. Broken ribs can be one of the more painful bones to break because every move and every breath brings intense pain. Even though there's nothing doctors can do to help them heal, I'd go get an X-ray to help you with a recovery plan. 
I've both broken ribs and torn intercostal muscles on seperate occasions; they both feel very similar, but the torn muscles are less intense and heal a little quicker. Hopefully you just pulled or deeply bruised something. 
I swear injuries always/only happen at the beginning of riding season! I hope you feel better soon. 

Yeah, I was playing fast and loose with the wording. F-ed up my ribs would have been more apt of a description. Definitely can feel something, probably cartilage, popping/hanging up. It’s a weird sensation.

17 hours ago, chrisso said:
20 hours ago, DRS said:
i can tell you from personal experience that it sucks very very very bad to "RE"-break your ribs; i highly recommend avoiding it.

YeH I agree ,although I wasn't planning on it the second time

were you planning on it the first time?  :foul:

• Like 2