What Dual Sport to buy?

Hey guys, looking for a little guidance from some of you dual sport guys. I am a mx guy but I’m interested in buying a dual sport, really just to go from my house, bomb some power lines, and back home. Not looking to buy new, and I’m looking for something geared more towards off-road than on road. What would you buy? I have looked at KLR’s but they seem a little hefty for what I want. The crf250L’s feel like slugs to me. I have rode a WR and it was decent. Wanting to get on a KTM EXC smoker and see how that is. I would prefer to go smoker since I am buying used. What are your thoughts?

No 2t dualsports out there less than about 35 years old. Converted dirt bikes, sure, but not purpose built. But there are plenty of modern made good dualsports out there from KTM and Beta. Pick your price range, do your homework, and go rip! I really like KTM 350 and Beta 390 myself.

• Like 1

No 2t dualsports out there less than about 35 years old. Converted dirt bikes, sure, but not purpose built. But there are plenty of modern made good dualsports out there from KTM and Beta. Pick your price range, do your homework, and go rip! I really like KTM 350 and Beta 390 myself.

What about the KTM 250 EXC? I don’t think it comes with blinkers, but looks like it has a tag hanger and has a headlight/taillight. I have built bobbers before with nothing but that. Just use hand signals. Lol

What about the KTM 250 EXC? I don’t think it comes with blinkers, but looks like it has a tag hanger and has a headlight/taillight. I have built bobbers before with nothing but that. Just use hand signals. Lol

Guess that would be a enduro really tho huh?

15 hours ago, emperialwizzard said:

Georgia. Not sure honestly. Will have to look into that.
I’m thinking maybe 60-100 max.

Might hit the regional forum for GA for converting dirt bikes.  Here in Colorado you are able to convert a dirt bike to plated bike.  This allows me to connect from trail to trail and is very useful.  If possible that might be the way to go if you want to ride a two stroke.  I have converted (2) two stroke bikes:  KTM 300 XC-W and KDX200.

That being said...if you are going to ride 60-100 miles of asphalt round trip, you are going to be unhappy riding a two stroke dirt bike that far on top of your offroad riding (not to mention wearing out your dirt tires on asphalt).

For true dual sports, there are a lot of compromises for street durability.  You might look at the DRZ400s as they have a pretty good reputation of standing up to lots of street miles but can be heavy offroad.  I see that Honda has just come out with a CRF450L that is a real competitor to the the DRZ400 (and probably beats it), but going to be pricey ($9K).  Another way to go used (if you can plate a dirt bike) is the older XR400s, XR600s, XR650s as these will tolerate a lot more street miles.  KTM/Husqvarna and Beta are making street legal dirt bikes (KTM = EXC models; Husky = FE models) but those are going to cost you big bucks.  You can also look at the KTM 690/Husky 701 dual sport bike, these will tolerate plenty of street miles and have more power than a DRZ400.  They have been making them for awhile now and I have seen some used ones for decent prices (compared to their MSRP).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SilvFx said:

That being said...if you are going to ride 60-100 miles of asphalt round trip, you are going to be unhappy riding a two stroke dirt bike that far on top of your offroad riding (not to mention wearing out your dirt tires on asphalt).

Agree on this. Two stroke good for maybe 5 - 8 miles of pavement connecting trails; otherwise they get real buzzy. I rode a DRZ400S as a guest bike last week for two days. I was stunned at how decent it was off road. Stock carburetor and a 3X3 mod and that motor would loft the tire over logs in first and second gear all day long. :ride: Did great at fairly rugged hill climbs too. ?

If I were looking to "get into" dual sport riding then I'd pickup a DRZ and then "advance" to KTM/Beta/Husky after years of dual sport experience. Other than blasting down an interstate freeway at 70+ MPH, IMO, the DRZ is a nice dual sport for getting started. When I say "nice" I mean it has fairly few compromises you hafta deal with unlike other setups. Obviously the KTM/Beta/Husky have even fewer compromises but the biggest one is cost. That CRF450L also looks great but costs could deter some. :blah:

• Like 2

22 hours ago, emperialwizzard said:

I’m thinking maybe 60-100 max.

You need to quit thinking anything developed for racing and start thinking DRZ400, KTM 625/640/690, etc. A KTM/Husky 500 seem to get a great engine life, that may be the best compromise bike I can think of but those ain't cheap. 

I used to ride a KTM 690 converted to supermoto on the street. I could do 60 miles no problem on twisty roads, 60 miles on the interstate and you're about ready to be off the thing. Did 1000 miles in 4 days once, never again. I actually learned my lesson on day 2 but was committed at that point ? Did a few 100-150 mile days. Dirt bikes just aren't built for those types of miles comfortably. Honestly, i'd be considering trailering for trips far away from home and plate the bike for short rides if you're wanting to still ride on the street with it. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the input guys. I will look more into the bikes you guys have suggested. I have a rig that I take to the races, so I could always haul the bike wherever I need. Really wanted something that I could hop on and go though. Loading/unloading gets old. Haha. Think this will really be a weekday, after work toy. Nothing too serious. But it seems that the 4t bikes would still be more ideal. Looks like I am in the market for a used DRZ. [emoji847]

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys. I will look more into the bikes you guys have suggested. I have a rig that I take to the races, so I could always haul the bike wherever I need. Really wanted something that I could hop on and go though. Loading/unloading gets old. Haha. Think this will really be a weekday, after work toy. Nothing too serious. But it seems that the 4t bikes would still be more ideal. Looks like I am in the market for a used DRZ. [emoji847]
The DRZ is a good bike. For me off road, it is to heavy and even lowered to tall. But I'm older and shorter than many.
It is
About the same weight as a CRF250L/KLX250S. Has around the same power as the XR650L.
Available as E off road, S dual or SM supermoto. And been around for almost 2 decades. So used bikes and parts, easily found.
I had mine for sale as I want a 2 stroke dirt bike. But decided to keep it as I like it. I'll just have to figure out how to have 3 bikes.
  • Like 2

The DRZ is a good bike. For me off road, it is to heavy and even lowered to tall. But I'm older and shorter than many.
It is
About the same weight as a CRF250L/KLX250S. Has around the same power as the XR650L.
Available as E off road, S dual or SM supermoto. And been around for almost 2 decades. So used bikes and parts, easily found.
I had mine for sale as I want a 2 stroke dirt bike. But decided to keep it as I like it. I'll just have to figure out how to have 3 bikes.

Thanks for the advice. I have rode a CRF250L so that is a good comparison. I will probably lower mine as well. I guess the added weight will only make me appreciate my mx bike even more. Haha