Wanderfool

Purchased 2018 DR650 with 768miles...

13 posts in this topic

Hey TT crowd; very happy to announce I've joined the DR family!  Absolutely love the bike and have a few questions I've not been able to answer from a quick stroll around the forums via the search function.  

I also own a 2008 honda XR650L but it has seen it's last days after I split the crank case and unknowingly dumped the oil off-road and seized the engine on the way home...:( SHAME!

Anyway, I was curious as to if I could move the front forks from the XR over to the DR.  It's aftermarket from Traxxion Dynamics and I'd hate to have to part them out.

I have a Jet kit, powercore 4 exhaust, K&N air filter, and Shinko 700's on the way.  Looking forward to ripping up the Dirt here in N Georgia!

DR650.jpeg

1 person likes this

Use cogent DDC's in the stock DR forks. Don't use a K&N if you do any off-road at all. With that pipe on it you're about to learn the joys of jetting the BST-40 and trying to get it to run right. Talk to Procycle and follow their recommendations. There is lots more but it's a start.

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, nobade said:

Use cogent DDC's in the stock DR forks. Don't use a K&N if you do any off-road at all. With that pipe on it you're about to learn the joys of jetting the BST-40 and trying to get it to run right. Talk to Procycle and follow their recommendations. There is lots more but it's a start.

Thanks for the advice and warnings, I'll do my best to be cautious.  

2 people like this

Welcome to owning the best old tech dual sport bike made! You'll love it once you get to know it well. And the huge knowledge base and aftermarket support it has really helps. There's nothing about it that isn't already well known.

Posted (edited)

Measure your forks,you should be ok,might have to swap over the front brake too which would be no biggee since the wheel would have to go with it.Lots more to do to it,stay away from ProCycle! :) No K&N like above,foam is best.

Edited by troy1160

23 hours ago, Wanderfool said:

Looking forward to ripping up the Dirt here in N Georgia!

Dirt roads, maybe. 🤣

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the DR..

Edited by Bandit 1
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

On 7/6/2018 at 2:28 PM, troy1160 said:

Measure your forks,you should be ok,might have to swap over the front brake too which would be no biggee since the wheel would have to go with it.Lots more to do to it,stay away from ProCycle! :) No K&N like above,foam is best.

So much more to do.  I took it on a moderately difficult hill climb with some big rocks (mini-boulders) along it.  The suspension definitely needs to adjusted/upgraded.  But I got up it without dropping it.  She's very capable!  

I'm a frequently working MSF coach (road&dirt), so my technique is decent.

I'm no pro-racer though!

Edited by Wanderfool

Yep, after the seat the suspension is the first thing to change.

Congrats!

The fork swap is definitely worth looking into. I'm using Race Tech cartridge emulators with success. Although they require disassembly for adjustments. Revalve rear shock. Springs for your lbs.

For dirt, I recommend an 18" rear wheel. You may notice this after riding your XR. The larger diameter rolls through square edge bumps easier. Better ground clearance. I just had a wheel built and wished I'd done it sooner! 

Maybe a seat, but if you ride off road a lot, you're probably not on it enough. But yeah, not too comfy.

Pic is with new 18" rear wheel. 20180705_155500.jpg.208cd2503905ea17fb47946df115f38f.jpg

2 people like this

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:44 PM, pumptrack said:

Congrats!

The fork swap is definitely worth looking into. I'm using Race Tech cartridge emulators with success. Although they require disassembly for adjustments. Revalve rear shock. Springs for your lbs.

For dirt, I recommend an 18" rear wheel. You may notice this after riding your XR. The larger diameter rolls through square edge bumps easier. Better ground clearance. I just had a wheel built and wished I'd done it sooner! 

Maybe a seat, but if you ride off road a lot, you're probably not on it enough. But yeah, not too comfy.

Pic is with new 18" rear wheel. 20180705_155500.jpg.208cd2503905ea17fb47946df115f38f.jpg

Very nice!

I am now having issues with the Dynojet Kit :(.  Turns out when I roll on in first gear past 3000 rpms the bike stalls out.  Guess I'm running too rich with the 170 main jet.

FMF pipe installed, Carb successfully jetted, Acerbis Bashplate added, unnecessary bulk removed, and she's running smooth as can be!

Many thanks to Carl from Pro-cycle for helping me figure out how to fix my throttle issues.

KIMG0112[92].JPG

1 person likes this