louatlvc

Help identifying particles in oil

44 posts in this topic

Hello,

Changed oil today and found particles throughout old oil. Some were pretty big (pin head size). I thought it was metallic but it does not appear to be metal or aluminum. It will not stick to a magnet and when cleared with break cleaner does not have an aluminum shine.  Its almost seems like a hard plastic composite of some sort. A couple pieces looked like they were part of small screening of some sort. I suspected the oil screen so I pulled it and it looks good (except for the particles all over it.)- See photo. Particles were in oil drained from frame, engine, and filter as well. Anybody have an idea of what this might be? Where to go from here? Thanks Lou

screen.jpg

Drop a few in a strong petroleum solvent do not agitate

see if they dissolve if so hard piece of carbon baked on Oil that is flaking off something like the stator

If plastic could be zip ties off of the stator

Plastic from the cam chain guide

Plastic from the oil pump idler gear but that one is white

1 person likes this

Thanks for responses. Just dropped a piece into some acetone. It did not dissolve. Next, I'm going to check the stator.

Is this something that may have harmed the engine?

nah, its pointless to worry about stuff in your oil .. if it runs good run it .. if it breaks fix it .. dont fix it if it runs good, get all the miles you can out of it, becasue it will pretty much always cost the same to 'preemptively' fix something as fix it when it goes ..

2 people like this

1 hour ago, cowpie said:

nah, its pointless to worry about stuff in your oil .. if it runs good run it .. if it breaks fix it .. dont fix it if it runs good, get all the miles you can out of it, becasue it will pretty much always cost the same to 'preemptively' fix something as fix it when it goes ..

To each their own, but I have to disagree with this one.  If I ever find a potential problem I tend to fix it right away rather than wait for it to fail and leave me stranded somewhere (or worse).  I’d rather perform preemptive maintenance than ride it til it breaks...

I was thinking the bits could be fiber particles from the clutch?...

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, cowpie said:

Wow thats equivalent to getting cancer and doing nothing about it. 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Shackleton said:

Wow thats equivalent to getting cancer and doing nothing about it. 

you tell me what you going to do if you find a pile of metal shavings in your oil then lol .. put a bandaid on it? you can tear it apart and replace things now or when it lets go .. it might last another 10 years though .. usually does .. ive never tore an engine down because it had gnats in the oil or something heheh, i have however torn them down and replaced a bunch of crap and wasted alot of time and money when i was younger .. it geerally never helped nothin, in fact more problems usually arise from getting something wrong on reassembly than i ever fixed .. but to each their own .. if it gives you peace of mind to make sure its good then its probably worth it ..

4 people like this

50 minutes ago, cowpie said:

you tell me what you going to do if you find a pile of metal shavings in your oil then lol ..

If it was bronze Id stop riding it till repaired.
If steel and just speckles, ride and monitor more often, if a lot of metallic stuff or any chunks stop riding it till repaired
If Aluminum and just speckles to moderate amount, ride and monitor more often, if a lot of stuff or any chunks stop riding it till repaired

4 people like this

Interesting. Can you tell me what bronze vs. steel vs. aluminum tells you about what’s going on inside? I’d like to know if I see any of the three. Thanks

1 hour ago, louatlvc said:

Interesting. Can you tell me what bronze vs. steel vs. aluminum tells you about what’s going on inside? I’d like to know if I see any of the three. Thanks

Google! 

3 hours ago, louatlvc said:

Bronze is big end cage

Al is cltuch basket

Steel is a bearing or gear teeth

Its from the Cam chain guides

I believe this to be it. I too had a very similar experience with this on my 04 E model. I started a thread last year about it to. Helpful folks here pointed me to likely the same issue. I replaced the ACCT with a TT MCCT and the oil has been normal looking for past year of oil changes.
1 person likes this

Well, I just pulled the stator and inspected and it looks like new. All of the plastic zip ties are intact. No particles in the case area around the stator. Then I inspected the chain guide and it looks like new as well. There are not even wear marks from the chain. I thought maybe I had the TT chain tensioner adjusted too tight but not the case.

At this point I’m thinking I should put it back together and do a couple of quick (100 mile) oil changes to see if I still get this plastic debris. Any other suggestions? Thanks. Lou

11 hours ago, louatlvc said:

At this point I’m thinking I should put it back together and do a couple of quick (100 mile) oil changes to see if I still get this plastic debris. Any other suggestions? Thanks. Lou

Yup, might flush the motor with some light cheap oil, refill and go ride, drain and check..if all good, refill as normal and forget about it.

4 people like this

Follow up:
I did a couple oil changes and I think I have the particles cleared out. I’m still stumped about what the hell got in there. I’m including this photo that shows a couple of pieces I cleaned and kept. There were hundreds of these in the oil. It almost looks like small pieces of that webbing used to wrap oranges at the store- but black in color. Has anybody ever seen this?
Thanks!IMG_3820.JPG

Posted (edited)

From the oil bottle its self maybe? No idea here but I am very curious

Edited by Atolduso

From the oil bottle its self maybe? No idea here but I am very curious

That’s an interesting observation! I just checked and the rings on the oil bottle tops that I always use (Amsoil) are solid. Good suggestion though. Thanks