louatlvc

Help identifying particles in oil

44 posts in this topic

On 7/7/2018 at 6:52 PM, Shackleton said:

Wow thats equivalent to getting cancer and doing nothing about it. 

no, it's knowing the difference between which metal shavings matter, and which ones don't.

there will always be aluminum/steel in the oil, from the clutch and transmission wear. brass is bad, already noted why. 

coolant is bad for obvious reasons.

fuel similarly.

mud... well you know.

plastic can mean anything from stator pieces to a zip tie in the oil that finally fell apart to someone dropping stuff in the filler tube.

lots of stuff can get from the oil catch tank back into the engine, and those pieces could be mesh from there. or the air filter degrading. lots and lots of areas for trash to get into the engine. I've seen cigarette butts in coolant before. yup. 

3 people like this

13 hours ago, louatlvc said:

Follow up:
I did a couple oil changes and I think I have the particles cleared out. I’m still stumped about what the hell got in there. I’m including this photo that shows a couple of pieces I cleaned and kept. There were hundreds of these in the oil. It almost looks like small pieces of that webbing used to wrap oranges at the store- but black in color. Has anybody ever seen this?
Thanks!IMG_3820.JPG

That is not any part of a stock engine, or frame oil system.

Nor any materiel I recognize on an aftermarket DRZ part

44 minutes ago, Erik Marquez said:

That is not any part of a stock engine, or frame oil system.

Nor any materiel I recognize on an aftermarket DRZ part

That's what I was thinking. I'm really wondering if it poured out of the bottle with the oil. Would be pretty easy to miss. No other times anything can enter the oil system besides filling I wouldn't think....

6 minutes ago, Atolduso said:

That's what I was thinking. I'm really wondering if it poured out of the bottle with the oil. Would be pretty easy to miss. No other times anything can enter the oil system besides filling I wouldn't think....

As luck would have it...I do recognize a materiel sort of like that. I just got an order in that have several external thread flywheel pullers in it, the tools are covered in a stretch plastic grid mesh materiel...
And also some electrical supplies came in, with that  was some expansible mesh wiring loom ...and THAT could be a product used on the stator wires on an aftermarket stator 5b4773e48aa4c_plasticmesh.jpg.cf38f2511b1fb4713c765fb15d04d303.jpg

This part of the stator

5b47746d24e79_wirestator.jpg.e10c0cad4e413470182d8c716964c0da.jpg

2 people like this

That sure makes sense! Thanks to all for your help trying to figure out this strange situation. Looking forward to riding now!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Those pieces don't look like any of the expanding sleeves I've seen compared to whats in that picture . Those pieces look more like a plastic filter but it's hard to tell if they're a solid molded type . Nothing else comes to mind that would actually get down into the motor . Nothing that goes into the tank should get into the motor with that filter at the bottom of the frame tube . Possible the oil pump inlet screen came out and got chomped up by the tranny . I can't remember if this one has a plastic mesh or steel screen like the Yamaha's I'm used to .

AH HAAAAA, just thought of it . The filter in the oil vapor separator , next to the headpipe that drains down into the crankcase !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by jjktmrider
5 people like this

1 hour ago, jjktmrider said:

Those pieces don't look like any of the expanding sleeves I've seen compared to whats in that picture . Those pieces look more like a plastic filter but it's hard to tell if they're a solid molded type . Nothing else comes to mind that would actually get down into the motor . Nothing that goes into the tank should get into the motor with that filter at the bottom of the frame tube . Possible the oil pump inlet screen came out and got chomped up by the tranny . I can't remember if this one has a plastic mesh or steel screen like the Yamaha's I'm used to .

AH HAAAAA, just thought of it . The filter in the oil vapor separator , next to the headpipe that drains down into the crankcase !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:

4 people like this

23 minutes ago, Atolduso said:

imageproxy.jpg.5d683e93f56aad49d46f7064fd09c180.jpg

Ding, ding, ding...

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

2 people like this

Wow! That’s it!! Great detective work!
Do you think the filter in there just got old? Guess I should order a new one.

So I removed the oil vapor separator and cut a hole it it (after ordering new one) and found more of the mysterious pieces which, thanks to you, I now know came from the sponge inside the housing. Problem is there is no way to open it up without cutting it open. Based on what was left inside, it’s been breaking down for a long time. So, if any of you begin to see these small pieces of plastic sponge in your oil it’s likely time for a new vapor canister:
Suzuki part number 11330-29F00 (tank oil return).

2 people like this

I really enjoyed following this thread. Great detective work jj

2 people like this

That’s great! Do you sell these? How do I go about getting one?

On 7/12/2018 at 1:57 PM, Atolduso said:

imageproxy.jpg.5d683e93f56aad49d46f7064fd09c180.jpg

yup, it's happened before to a few bikes. if you can think of a good title for the thread it will help other people find this info when they search for what's in their oil. 

glad you busted it open and looked, a lot of folks never experiment with their bikes, never learn stuff. :-)

4 people like this