Help with top end repair!

Was riding down a country road in 6th gear and my bike broke down. Looks like something happened to the top end. Lost compression.

I’d like to fix this myself, open it up and take a look at the cylinder. But do I have to take the motor out to tackle this problem, or can I fix this with the engine in the bike???

2001 XR200R

You'll have to pull the motor. The top frame tube is in the way, the rocker cover won't even clear the studs before hitting it. 

Removing the motor isn't hard though. Remove the carb, unhook a few wires and clutch cable, remove all the motor mount bolts, and wiggle her out. The motor's kinda heavy I guess but easily manageable. 

Good luck and hope it's nothing major

Okay, thanks! I have a service manual. Looks like it could be a few different causes. And, from scanning through the service manual looks like I’ll need a few specialty tools like a valve spring compressor...

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't go spending a bunch of money on specialty tools til you know what needs done (unless you just wanna have the tools). You only need basic tools to pull the top end off and inspect. 

If it's something like a broken cam chain tensioner, there might not be any damage to the head, and no need to remove the valves. 

But, it could've jumped time,  and a valve went through the piston. In that case, you would probably need to rebuild the head with new valve(s) and valve seals, maybe machine work to fix the valve seat, a new piston and a fresh bore. That is if pieces of the piston didn't gouge the cylinder walls too deep. Then you'd be needing a new sleeve and a machine shop to replace it. 

Hopefully it's nothing that major like that though. 

Edited by Daniel627
Typo
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you find that you do need to remove the valves then you can go to a local Oreilly's or Autozone and borrow a valve spring compressor.

Edited by jtanman
  • Helpful 1

Thanks for the info!  

When it broke down while riding, it was a relatively internal click/crack sound and the motor died.  Didn't feel like any major internal damage.  I could be wrong.  But, hoping its a small thing. 

The previous owner had taken the XR200R to a Honda dealership and they bored it out to the next size up piston and rebuilt the entire top end...from what they told me.  I assume they went the next size up in piston and that I'll be able to replace the parts with readily available size parts, if needed.  

If it didn't feel like any major internal engine damage there probably isn't. What does internal engine damage feel like anyway?

Arthur,
I pulled the goalie and it turns out the spring top thing fell off the valve spring..,
IMG_0908.JPG

You pulled the goalie? Hmmm.

Yep, I'm gonna assume you probably need a new piston and valve and the retainers. Guess you'll find out more when you pull the head and cylinder. 

The head and cylinder look fine... gonna get a piston kit to swap out the rings - they look fine but I figure since I’ve gotten this far might as well freshen up the piston....