2018 Fe 501 backlight speedometer

Hey so I just purchased a brand new 2018 fe 501. Awesome bike so far. One problem I noticed is when I rode after dark this evening, I could not read my speedometer because it does not stay backlit by itself. The light only comes on when I push a button on it and then it stays on for only about 2 seconds. Is there anyway to change the settings to make it stay on? Maybe auto come on when it’s dark? Or do I have a defective unit? Any help appreciated thanks.

I don't believe there is a setting for the backlight on/off. When my bike was new the speedometer would intermittently go blank/light off when riding. Turned out to be the sending unit mounted next to the front brake caliper. Going to the dealer wasn't an option, but it was a quick and easy fix. Congrats on the new bike!

• Like 1

Thank you I really love it so far. On mine the backlight hasn’t been intermentent on, it just is never on at all. Unless one of the buttons is pushed and then like I said it comes on for about 2 seconds or so and back off. So this isn’t normal operation it sounds like? I’ll stop in the dealership tomorrow when they are open and see what they have to say. 

54 minutes ago, Huskyfe501 said:

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:30 AM, Huskyfe501 said:

Thank you I really love it so far. On mine the backlight hasn’t been intermentent on, it just is never on at all. Unless one of the buttons is pushed and then like I said it comes on for about 2 seconds or so and back off. So this isn’t normal operation it sounds like? I’ll stop in the dealership tomorrow when they are open and see what they have to say. 

, Its supposed to be lighted when motor is running and you're rolling and there is power supplied by the bikes electrical system. Sounds like yours is only operating on battery only and why it turns off every few seconds. but If you stop and just idle it will turn off, after 30/60 seconds , till you start moving again.

either you have a defective unit or the bikes power is not being supplied, I have the same speedo on my 2015

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spud786 said:

, Its supposed to be lighted when motor is running and you're rolling and there is power supplied by the bikes electrical system. Sounds like yours is only operating on battery only and why it turns off every few seconds. but If you stop and just idle it will turn off, after 30/60 seconds , till you start moving again.

either you have a defective unit or the bikes power is not being supplied, I have the same speedo on my 2015

Thank you this is exactly what I was looking for. Looks like I’ll be bringing it by the dealer.