Shock spring weight

I have a 5.3 Honda spring I got from FC. I have another Honda spring that only has a paint mark on it to indicate weight. But I can't find anyone who can confirm the rate. I have measured the coil diameter, number of coils and length, both match EXACTLY. Are both springs a 5.3?

Yep, checking sags is a test also but requires an hour + of steady work to dismantle bike, R&R spring and re-assemble bike. Was hoping someone knowledgeable would say yes or no definitively. The pull apart-put back together has gotten old. Thanks guys.

Edited by Piney Woods

FWIW, The exact same spring is often sold as a 5.3 5.4 etc. by different vendors, their is a % tolerance in the spring business. Why many suspension shops use scale and press to check them. I'd guess if it's the same length, coil count, diameter etc, it's close to the same. 

15 hours ago, highmarker said:

FWIW, The exact same spring is often sold as a 5.3 5.4 etc. by different vendors, their is a % tolerance in the spring business. Why many suspension shops use scale and press to check them. I'd guess if it's the same length, coil count, diameter etc, it's close to the same. 

Yep, that is what I am thinking. The known Honda 5.3 I got from FC is used and has no paint marking. The other "mystery" Honda spring has a pink paint mark on one of the coils. Again, both are Honda OEM springs, not aftermarket.

2007 CRF250R owner's manual indicates the pink ID mark as a 5.7 kg/mm spring rate.

If by chance it was red mark that has since faded to pink, from the same manual red is 5.5 kg/mm.

Edited by mlatour

Wow, guess I better have it tested by a competent tuner when I send my stuff out next. I also have a oem spring from an 03 CRF450 which is supposed to be a 5.5, it is noticeably heavier and thicker(coil). I got it from a friend and am sure what it came out of. It has no markings at all.

I have found measuring OD, coil thickness and length to be accurate within .1kg but you have to be precise when measuring. In the end it simple as...it either works or doesn’t work. You can measure, send it to NASA to be analyzed yet still not like it. I have bikes that I run a couple rates heavier spring than recommended and some that are less than recommended. I’d measure it-if in the ballpark of kg based on measurement-try it and decide from there.