Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Please share pics of your chainsaw mounts.  The homemade front mount I use on a KTM won't fit on the new 300rr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I ask why I've seen a few chainsaw mounts but no silky saw mounts? Why not pack a nice silky or equivalent?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Trail Tech mount is awesome and fits anything, you can literally pull it out and cut branches from the seat. The only draw back is it only works with the Stihl arborist saw which is nice but a bit expensive.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Silky saw is good up to 18" and an arm workout.... Echo cs-2511t makes quick trail work and fits nicely in backpack

0515182102a.jpgSilky_Zubat_on_log_2000x.jpg.8deddafa407a6c332fd9890094cd3b8c.jpgCS-2511T_callouts.png.5624bdbea3240b22fb6275a31de9b647.png

 

Edited by MarantzManiac
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MarantzManiac said:

Silky saw is good up to 18" and an arm workout.... Echo cs-2511t makes quick trail work and fits nicely in backpack

0515182102a.jpgSilky_Zubat_on_log_2000x.jpg.8deddafa407a6c332fd9890094cd3b8c.jpgCS-2511T_callouts.png.5624bdbea3240b22fb6275a31de9b647.png

 

Now this looks like the way to go! I can see reaching over one's shoulder, Ninja style, and whipping out the Silky for light work, or dropping the pack and hauling out the Echo for more serious timber.

But when I thought about it, I thought, no way! A chainsaw in my backpack? So I Googled the Echo and did a double take on the weight. They say it's 5.2 lbs. Is that a typo? It's been a long time since I've looked at chainsaws, and that's half of what I used to think was an ultralight.

EDIT: I see that is without bar and chain. Still....

Edited by Old Plonker
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  just just carry a saw in my backpack , run a small sthil , have a silky as well but the power saw is needed for blowdown , I see Emperor makes a nice universal fork mount , but I’m used to the pack 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The super light Echo is simply put a game changer... much to the dismay of the Stihl faithful.... it's perfect for light to medium trail work.... and easily fits in the backpack   

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the Bill Dart mount (google it) to carry a Husky 430 on my KTM 300. Great mount, I don't even know the saw's there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Andrew Graham said:

That echo is over double the cost and a smaller bar length of the sthil 170 . And the 170 fits in my back pack,

sure and the Stihl 170 is nearly double the weight too.... apples and oranges.... think what it costs to knock 5 pounds off our bikes.... now put that weight on your back or forks and add gas, oil, wrench, water etc....

Simply put that''s why you pay more for the Echo.... bar size is insignificant as most folks go smaller anyway.... buy the Stihl if it's what you like.  

 

 

Edited by MarantzManiac
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No sense comparing homeowner vs pro saws. $170 is a good price for a saw and I'm sure it cuts fine. I really enjoy nicer stuff the older I get. With chainsaws they are never light and powerful enough anyway, but a pro saw is usually a bit better if you are spending hours behind it.

I prefer rear handle saws for pruning and limbing, rear handles being safer and easier to control, but the top handles do have weight and size advantages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Echo cs-400 with 18" bar for trail clearing in early season, rear rack. Corona 10" folding saw in my flight vest. Granted this is not Beta, but when I do eventually pull the trigger on a Beta I think I will go with a rear mount rack then, too. I like the convenience of the front mount like Bill Dart makes or even Trail tech, but like the headlight more. Last year we came across USFS crews clearing trail the opposite direction we were coming from, and were stuck working a tree over the trail they could not cut through with their Stihl 16" bars- We finished it up for them. Bought the saw lightly used for $150- had less than a half hour on it. Did the exhaust mod and it pulls strong. 

 

5a8df99f897ee_trailclearing2.jpg.dd77e4984c5ab28ad8085d64ccfabce0.jpg

Edited by redhurricane
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2018 at 7:23 PM, wheeline said:

Please share pics of your chainsaw mounts.  The homemade front mount I use on a KTM won't fit on the new 300rr.

My Echo CS-355T with 16" bar on a Pro Moto Billet saw carrier, attached to a Nomadic Cycles rear fender rack on my Xtrainer:

20180517.jpg

saw_ra10.jpg

Below is the same saw in a Bill Dart saw rack, which I much prefer over the rear rack location.  Front mount handles better, the saw is better protected, and the saw is easier and faster to deploy and stow between cuts.  Bill now rides an Xtrainer too, but his saw racks are all designed for KTM bikes.

To fit my Xtrainer triples I used a pre-2013 KTM saw rack, which bolts and carries most weight on the upper surface of the lower triple clamp. It attaches to the same holes as the Beta black fender brace, which means I had to replace the fender with a white pre-2013 KTM fender that bolts from the underside only. The rack was $120 and the Acerbis fender was $23 from my local KTM dealer. I had to drill two new holes in the saw carrier to match the Beta upper triple layout. Everything else was straightforward bolt on.  The headlight, speedo, and electrical connector mounting plate behind the headlight all had to go. (Keeping the saw as close as possible to the steering head is key to optimum bike handling.)

20180618.jpg

bd_saw11.jpg

Here's one of Bill's photos of this rack style:
bd_saw10.jpg

On 7/9/2018 at 7:37 PM, bikesandcars said:

Can I ask why I've seen a few chainsaw mounts but no silky saw mounts? Why not pack a nice silky or equivalent?

LOL, because Idaho for me.

Here are a few sample shot from clearing some trails in the Boise National Forest last week.  I burned through 2 to 3 tanks of saw gas per day for 4 days in a row.  A silky saw isn't much use in this country.

l410.jpg
l310.jpg

Edited by wwguy
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wwguy said:

My Echo CS-355T with 16" bar on a Pro Moto Billet saw carrier, attached to a Nomadic Cycles rear fender rack on my Xtrainer:

20180517.jpg

saw_ra10.jpg

Below is the same saw in a Bill Dart saw rack, which I much prefer over the rear rack location.  Front mount handles better, the saw is better protected, and the saw is easier and faster to deploy and stow between cuts.  Bill now rides an Xtrainer too, but his saw racks are all designed for KTM bikes.

To fit my Xtrainer triples I used a pre-2013 KTM saw rack, which bolts and carries most weight on the upper surface of the lower triple clamp. It attaches to the same holes as the Beta black fender brace, which means I had to replace the fender with a white pre-2013 KTM fender that bolts from the underside only. The rack was $120 and the Acerbis fender was $23 from my local KTM dealer. I had to drill two new holes in the saw carrier to match the Beta upper triple layout. Everything else was straightforward bolt on.  The headlight, speedo, and electrical connector mounting plate behind the headlight all had to go. (Keeping the saw as close as possible to the steering head is key to optimum bike handling.)

20180618.jpg

bd_saw11.jpg

Here's one of Bill's photos of this rack style:
bd_saw10.jpg

LOL, because Idaho for me.

Here are a few sample shot from clearing some trails in the Boise National Forest last week.  I burned through 2 to 3 tanks of saw gas per day for 4 days in a row.  A silky saw isn't much use in this country.

l410.jpg
l310.jpg

Am hitting Idaho the last week of July, was planning on bringing my KTM as I have a saw mount (and saw of course)...Still a bit of blowdown to clear in the Baumgarton area?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dyrtmon said:

Am hitting Idaho the last week of July, was planning on bringing my KTM as I have a saw mount (and saw of course)...Still a bit of blowdown to clear in the Baumgarton area?

I haven't ridden Baumgartner area this year. My brother-in-law was riding up there a couple of weeks ago and said he had a great time, but I'm not sure which trails he was riding.  Local riders have been out riding and clearing everywhere they can for a few months now. Unfortunately not enough riders are willing to invest in the time, effort, and expense of carrying and regularly using saws.  But that's a different topic for a different discussion.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dyrtmon said:

Am hitting Idaho the last week of July, was planning on bringing my KTM as I have a saw mount (and saw of course)...Still a bit of blowdown to clear in the Baumgarton area?

Check out "Idaho ATV/Motorbike Program" on Facebook for trail condition updates, including which trails have been cleared...

Thank you for the trail work, WWGUY!

 

36918911_1728160953971768_3554109639580712960_n.png

Edited by mtnmanseth
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mtnmanseth said:

Check out "Idaho ATV/Motorbike Program" on Facebook for trail condition updates, including which trails have been cleared...

Thank you for the trail work, WWGUY!

 

36918911_1728160953971768_3554109639580712960_n.png

Great spreadsheet!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wow, I envy you guys, being able to head out to clear trails with those sized saws.

Chainsaw1.jpg.01fceeccf9f0ca3227e312130b70123d.jpg

Here in NZ the trees are a wee bit bigger, requiring slightly bigger gear. They don't seem to make chainsaw carriers our size, so we have to improvise:

The 36" bar on the saw  manages most of the small to medium sized trees we encounter on trail, but  for the big stuff we have to use the 48" bar, which actually bungies onto the handlebars OK, you just can't forget that its there when riding in the tight stuff!

chainsaw4.thumb.jpg.bbfed2fc40d3d469e35121bafaa593a3.jpg

We ride in pairs normally, as you can see the chainsaw bar requires a power head at both ends to chew through the big stuff. Otherwise you spend too much time sawing and not enough time riding:ride:

 

 

Edited by motumatai
wrong picture
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, motumatai said:

Wow, I envy you guys, being able to head out to clear trails with those sized saws.

Chainsaw1.jpg.01fceeccf9f0ca3227e312130b70123d.jpg

Here in NZ the trees are a wee bit bigger, requiring slightly bigger gear. They don't seem to make chainsaw carriers our size, so we have to improvise:

The 36" bar on the saw  manages most of the small to medium sized trees we encounter on trail, but  for the big stuff we have to use the 48" bar, which actually bungies onto the handlebars OK, you just can't forget that its there when riding in the tight stuff!

chainsaw4.thumb.jpg.bbfed2fc40d3d469e35121bafaa593a3.jpg

We ride in pairs normally, as you can see the chainsaw bar requires a power head at both ends to chew through the big stuff. Otherwise you spend too much time sawing and not enough time riding:ride:

 

 

 

Weird thing is that most out of place thing in those pictures is the bike. 

Do you create new trails on these expeditions or is that a regular setup?

Over here we follow the forest tracks made by actual loggers, and I carry this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wow, I envy you guys, being able to head out to clear trails with those sized saws.
Chainsaw1.jpg.01fceeccf9f0ca3227e312130b70123d.jpg
Here in NZ the trees are a wee bit bigger, requiring slightly bigger gear. They don't seem to make chainsaw carriers our size, so we have to improvise:
The 36" bar on the saw  manages most of the small to medium sized trees we encounter on trail, but  for the big stuff we have to use the 48" bar, which actually bungies onto the handlebars OK, you just can't forget that its there when riding in the tight stuff!
chainsaw4.thumb.jpg.bbfed2fc40d3d469e35121bafaa593a3.jpg
We ride in pairs normally, as you can see the chainsaw bar requires a power head at both ends to chew through the big stuff. Otherwise you spend too much time sawing and not enough time riding:ride:
 
 
LMAO, yeah right... The forest is littered with 60" downed trees you just can't ride around....funny .... Do you carry a 10k winch on your other bike (drz) to move the cut pieces out of the way??? Lol
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


  • Similar Content

    • By Collin Luckett
      2002 rm250 just purchased. Was told the rear brake would need to be fixed since the bracket or mount that keeps it stationary is broken. In the picture where my pointer finger is there appears to be a piece of it broken off. I was told it was a piece that is actually welded to the swingarm where my other two fingers are located in the picture with the wheel off. And it does appear that there is a welded section broken off there. I do not have the broken piece and when I look at oem diagrams they do not show anything welded to that side of the swing arm. And the diagram that shows the brake bracket/mount only shows that my broken bracket is missing a small little section. Someone please help me because I can’t figure out what is missing or how to fix it. I was told I can buy an adapter piece that will bolt onto the swing arm but can’t find that online either. Thanks




    • By dwighop
      I really like the Risk Racing mounting system but can stand the thought of drill through by 2017 truck bed. I have a Ford Puck system for my fifth wheel already. Is any one making something that could use those puck holes already drilled?
    • By Supermotofool
      Now that I am rebuilding my 2001 DRZ400S due to a crash.. I want to be sure that when it happens again the bike will not be completely totaled.  I cannot find any axle sliders for it because it does not have hollow axles. The only thing I have been able to find are engine guards that mount to the frame so I will for sure be getting those. So I just have questions on how to get axle sliders mounted on my bike, and I also will probably be getting a handbrake sometime in the near future. Would I be better off just swapping to an SM swingarm? 
      I wish there was a document listing all the spec differences between the SM and S models. 
      Any help would be great.
      Best regards.
    • By mean buzzen half dozen
      Hey guys,
      I am installing a CRF230 engine into a different chassis.
      Can any of you take a pic/s of your cylinder head upper engine mount?
       
      Thanks.
×