My dad grew up riding three wheelers and quads but no bikes, he fixes and rides quads and Atcs daily and my mom rode a moped but that’s all of their experience. My parents act like even the smallest trail bike is a death machine. I have ridden a atc350x (dads) and a kxf250 (friends) as the most “dangerous” machines I have ever ridden. I don’t understand and I talk to them about it to death. I even see an xr100r for $350 that was $600 on Craigslist right now that I can afford. I ride a 300ex daily and have ridden all my life. I just want a dirt bike for a chance and I can’t even get my parents to budge on a ttr125 or crf150. I’m 15 and I think it’s time I’m alowed but they don’t. I know I can ride good because I have ridden many bikes and have had my fair share of crashes.

• Like 1

My dad grew up riding three wheelers and quads but no bikes, he fixes and rides quads and Atcs daily and my mom rode a moped but that’s all of their experience. My parents act like even the smallest trail bike is a death machine. I have ridden a atc350x (dads) and a kxf250 (friends) as the most “dangerous” machines I have ever ridden. I don’t understand and I talk to them about it to death. I even see an xr100r for $350 that was $600 on Craigslist right now that I can afford. I ride a 300ex daily and have ridden all my life. I just want a dirt bike for a chance and I can’t even get my parents to budge on a ttr125 or crf150. I’m 15 and I think it’s time I’m alowed but they don’t. I know I can ride good because I have ridden many bikes and have had my fair share of crashes.
I didn't get my first dirt bike until this year (May 2018). I'm 34 years old. Grew up riding snowmobiles and atv. Raced in high school. I owned my bike for less than 48hrs and crashed and broke my collar bone. It was the wrong bike for me with little to no experience. It was a 2002 Honda CR80R race bike. Since then I traded that bike for a 2004 Honda CRF150F that fits me better and is way easier to ride.

Be smart. Be safe. And good luck.
  • Like 2

As a parent, nagging NEVER works on me. 

Proof of responsibility is the golden ticket for me. 

I’d ask if your parents would be willing to enroll you in a dirtbike safety course in which you can learn to ride and ask your dad to join you in the class to learn as well. 

Assuming they let you get a bike after that, NEVER act like an idiot on it. Especially in front of them. That’s a quick way to lose the bike for good. 

• Like 2

Also, wrecking on a dirtbike can be a bad thing but wrecking on an ATV can be much worse imo. Those things weigh 3X+ what a bike does, especially if it’s something like a Grizzly or Rubicon. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, LRB said:

Also, wrecking on a dirtbike can be a bad thing but wrecking on an ATV can be much worse imo. Those things weigh 3X+ what a bike does, especially if it’s something like a Grizzly or Rubicon. 

Plus a dirt bike usually doesn’t chase you down and try to run you over.

In short, regardless of the machine, it’s only as dangerous as the decisions you make on it.  

The longer answer is that if you exercise responsible riding habits by never riding over your limits, and you always wear all the appropriate safety gear, you will mitigate a lot of the risk.  Similarly to playing high school football, if you participate in this sport long enough you WILL have injuries, be prepared to accept that.  This may be as harmless as a bump, bruise, or scrape.  Or this may be as significant as a massive avulsion, level 4 separated shoulder, or broken C6.  Much of this is your choice on how severe these injuries are.

You’ll want to save some extra money because you don’t want to skimp on your helmet, knee braces, or neck brace.  After you have this all squared away get you whatever bike you’re comfortable with.  Make smart decisions on it.  Then go ride and enjoy life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sirgarrettjames said:

I can't relate because my parents always gave me more than enough rope and walked away. :lol:

Good advice above and welcome to ThumperTalk. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

It might be better to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission...
  • Like 3

I can't relate because my parents always gave me more than enough rope and walked away. 

Good advice above and welcome to ThumperTalk. 

GO PLAY IN THE STREET !!

J/k lmao.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mike_80 said:

In short, regardless of the machine, it’s only as dangerous as the decisions you make on it.  

Amen! This should be like motosport scripture to quote right here!

Edited by LRB
FIXED FORMATTING

38 minutes ago, Diverdown said:

GO PLAY IN THE STREET !!

J/k lmao.

I bought my first bike with paper route money at 12, folks didn't mind. Second bike same story.

Cops held me in jail once, told me to call the folks to come pick me up.

I suggested they turn me loose when they thought they ought to, ended up being 6AM and I hitchhiked home.

Admittedly, that was a different time, ~45 years ago. :D

• Like 2

As a father myself, I've always encouraged my daughter to ride dirt bikes. Quads I don't let her ride because I have seen those heavy pigs roll over and kill people. 

So I'm the opposite of your parents. 

• Like 2

Tell them let you have a dirt bike now or they’re going in a bad home later.

• Like 3

My father wouldn't allow me to get a dirtbike when I was growing up, didn't get my first one until I was 25years old, that was 30years ago. At 15, you pretty much have to do what your folks say, life is not that short, you'll eventually get yourself on a motorcycle, just not right now

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RevyRoamer said:

As a father myself, I've always encouraged my daughter to ride dirt bikes. Quads I don't let her ride because I have seen those heavy pigs roll over and kill people. 

So I'm the opposite of your parents. 

What you just said about quads being more dangerous is what I’ve exactly told my parents. My mom just comes back with saying “yep, they’re both dangerous and I don’t want you having either one.” and I’m having to force myself to be respectful and not get mad at her before she takes my 300ex. Even the statistics say that when riding quads you are 55% more likely to end up in a hospital then on bikes!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LRB said:

As a parent, nagging NEVER works on me. 

Proof of responsibility is the golden ticket for me. 

I’d ask if your parents would be willing to enroll you in a dirtbike safety course in which you can learn to ride and ask your dad to join you in the class to learn as well. 

Assuming they let you get a bike after that, NEVER act like an idiot on it. Especially in front of them. That’s a quick way to lose the bike for good. 

I think the saftey course idea is a good one and have mentioned the safety course to both and they aren’t very for it but I’m sure there’s someway I could take one.

You are right to bite your tongue. Fighting back makes things so much worse for my kids.

Sometimes parent logic isn't logical. We have weird irrational fears at times and sometimes you've just gotta put up with them and know they aint gonna change. But I really think that if you got your dad to take a training course with you, he would likely get the itch to get a bike as well.

I bought my first dirt bike a couple years ago and have had a blast on it. Since then I have bought a bike for my wife and a bike for my daughter. Now my three year old wants a bike... she cant even ride her peddle bike yet though lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sirgarrettjames said:

What you just said about quads being more dangerous is what I’ve exactly told my parents. My mom just comes back with saying “yep, they’re both dangerous and I don’t want you having either one.” and I’m having to force myself to be respectful and not get mad at her before she takes my 300ex. Even the statistics say that when riding quads you are 55% more likely to end up in a hospital then on bikes!

Alright alright, I can see mom and dad aren't going to cooperate ..... we're gonna have to change tactics here ..... but don't worry, I got a plan .... here's what we're gonna do ................. You're gonna ask Santa Clause

When I was 5 I got my first bike but by the time I was 8 that was taken away due to unfortunate events in life.  For the longest time I kept hoping I would get another dirt bike but as I got older I gave up on the idea thinking it'll never happen.  Then one day later in life when I was already in my 30's I made the decision to go buy one, at that point I finally had the financial means to do so.

If it's something you're passionate about you just might have to do it all yourself, just not against your parents' rules while you're living with them.  I like that you mention being respectful to them, keep that a practice forever no matter how old you are.  The one thing you have going in your favor is you're still young and if you start working and saving money now you can prove a lot to your parents, that in itself will go a long way.

• Like 2