8 posts in this topic

I've recently been struggling trying to get my 1982 honda xr200r running again. I have tore most of the motor down and put it back in time. Everything seemed perfect until it wouldn't start. Of course you haven't lived till you try to kickstart one, so this is where i noticed a big problem... instead of kicking this bike over and over I decided to push start it. get a run and go on my concrete drive way and hop on and dump the clutch... nothing.. no, literally nothing. time and time again even had a friend pull me with a 4 wheeler once. the wheel locks up and will not turn the motor over. you can put the bike in gear and kick it over and the bike will move. but no matter if you take the spark plug out, and put it in a high gear(went through all of them) it will not turn the motor over. i have worked on alot of motors in my life and this has me going... huh? i hope i gave a good enough run down of what is going on for someone to help me.

I couldn't get my bike started one time so I just took the spark plug out and put some gas on it from the drain valve on the carb.  It started right up.

Yeah try some gas in the spark plug. If that doesn't work maybe try getting it rolling faster. Maybe try pulling it with a car and a rope?

Oh I just re-read your post. If you had the engine apart it might not run again. I see A LOT of posts on here where an engine gets rebuilt and won't run.

sorry it was late last night when i made this post. let me clarify my main issue. i know that the bike not starting by kicking it over is one thing, but my question is what would make the transmission lock up the wheel like that? when it is in gear with the clutch in its hard to roll. in neutral it rolls easy, i don't know if that is a common thing with these bikes but iv never had another one act that way. even grabbing the wheel and trying to turn it while it is in gear doesn't work. in my head if i can kick start it in gear and it move the bike i should be able to push start it. tried taking the spark plug out and trying it. some one has been inside the crank case before,so is there anything that could cause this in there. i have never messed with the trans on a bike before. 

38 minutes ago, poemason said:

but my question is what would make the transmission lock up the wheel like that? when it is in gear with the clutch in its hard to roll. in neutral it rolls easy, i don't know if that is a common thing with these bikes but iv never had another one act that wa

Thats most likely clutch drag.

The engine has so much compression that the rear wheel will skid when trying to bump start is any gear other then 4th on dirt, maybe 3rd on pavement.

On 7/11/2018 at 2:38 PM, arthur6 said:

Oh I just re-read your post. If you had the engine apart it might not run again. I see A LOT of posts on here where an engine gets rebuilt and won't run.

I had that issue with mine. Had the engine rebuilt, by a guy that owns a business repairing and rebuilding motorcycles, ATV's, sprint cars, basically anything. I thought, hell, he knows what he's doing it should be bad ass. Nope! 

It took me getting a Honda manual, and a friend and I going through, checking anything it could be, so we thought. Finally found out the rotor piece on the pulse generator was 180 degrees out, and valves were way out of adjustment too. 

I just found yesterday, that my CDI box is wrong, so I think tomorrow I'm gonna switch to the right one and try.

As for the engine not moving, mine did something similar when I got it. If it was in gear and I kicked it while pulling the clutch lever, it would still roll forward. If it was in gear and I pulled the clutch, I could hardly push it. When it went for a rebuild, I found out that all the clutch plates pretty much glued themselves together. They got separated and cleaned, problem solved

1 person likes this