Jump to content

DRZ Suspension Torture Test. Is it Capable and Nimble?

Recommended Posts

Ran across this video the other day and thought I would share it. For all those who are curious if 1. Is the DRZ capable machine? 2. Is a dialed in/modified suspension worth it? and 3. Should you buy a DRZ?   The answer is YESSSS!!!!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your preaching to the choir brother, I'm still searching for a better "do it all" bike then this 20 year old design, DRZ. All the candidates have something I don't want to give up with the DRZ.

 

This last trip i went on just reinforced that for me. On minute i'm trail riding tuff singletrack with a Ktm 300 and later in the day i'm cruising the hiway beside a 1190.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's always those questions that pop up on this forum " Is suspension upgrades worth it?   or Should I buy a DRZ?   So....maybe this will help show what the bike can do.  I know I scoured this forum for nearly a year in preparation of buying my 08' last year to make sure I knew all I could. Plus--- I just think the guy did a great job with the video. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes he did a great job on the vid. But you won't convince anyone on a more specialized modern bike to get a DRZ. Unless they want to give up their "performance" for our all around adaptability.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And all the good suspension components and frame geometry are there, just have to valve and spring for the app.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bucket list said:

 I'm still searching for a better "do it all" bike then this 20 year old design, DRZ. 

ktm 690 ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bucket list said:

And all the good suspension components and frame geometry are there, just have to valve and spring for the app.

Adding Racetech Springs to the front with Gold Valves have literally transformed my bike from a wallowy, bottoming out, dive bomber into a much more responsive and confident front end. I was impressed with the slow camera work on the video to see the suspension getting a good workout. Anyways-  Just wanted to share a video that isn't of just some dude talking into a mic while riding down a "fire road" ranting about how good the DRZ is. Just the other day someone started a topic "Show your DRZ in Action".   I probably shoulda dropped the video in there. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ctopher86 said:

I seriously considered the 690 Enduro but a $3000 08' DRZ with 2100 miles seemed like a much better deal. 

The price is the scary part , I’m having a hard time convincing myself to trail ride with a 13000 $ bike the way I do with the Drz . 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts exactly-  I like to get a little loose in the saddle and I am not all that concerned if I have the occasional drop on the Dizzer when pushing the limits of the bike. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, npm said:

Capable? Yes. Nimble? Not by my definition

Nimble may be a stretch but then again- it may be subjective to a persons ability to handle the bike. A 300lb man riding the bike will just tractor through the bush where as a Lightweight like the guy in the video seemed to handle it very well even at low speed and passed over some pretty challenging obstacles fairly easily.   Could you imagine what Graham Jarvis could do on it? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, habs said:

The price is the scary part , I’m having a hard time convincing myself to trail ride with a 13000 $ bike the way I do with the Drz . 

That's part it, but I have some concerns about weight carrying capacity, fuel capacity, fuel pump and electrical reliability. My grandsons 250sx-f has already had the start button die on it and gravity feed carb. just seems like it wood be more reliable and easier to fix in the field.

In Sept. I'm going on a 7 day adventure ride with a large group, 4 of which will be on 690/701's. I'll be able to have some good talks about the bikes then and hopefully a little ride on one to make it clear to me which way I should go.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bucket list said:

That's part it, but I have some concerns about weight carrying capacity, fuel capacity, fuel pump and electrical reliability. My grandsons 250sx-f has already had the start button die on it and gravity feed carb. just seems like it wood be more reliable and easier to fix in the field.

In Sept. I'm going on a 7 day adventure ride with a large group, 4 of which will be on 690/701's. I'll be able to have some good talks about the bikes then and hopefully a little ride on one to make it clear to me which way I should go.

Don’t be shy to share your thoughts after your trip 🙂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don’t be shy to share your thoughts after your trip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ctopher86 said:

Ran across this video the other day and thought I would share it. For all those who are curious if 1. Is the DRZ capable machine? 2. Is a dialed in/modified suspension worth it? and 3. Should you buy a DRZ?   The answer is YESSSS!!!!

Great vid! and very inspiring.  Helps us all push ourselves and our bikes a little further.  This is the kind of thing I'm hoping to see in the thread I started called "Pics of your DRZ in action!".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice!  Thanks for sharing this.  Awesome vid!  Dude rode that DRZ like it was an overweight trials bike  :D  Always nice to see what people can get out of their DRZs!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2018 at 9:08 AM, habs said:

ktm 690 ? 

I'd trade my bike for a Beta 500RE before I exhale my next breath, but coming up with 10k is a little more difficult.

Not a problem in this state, but the RE won't plate everywhere. Buy the S and now you have a suspension project because it's no differently shimmed than the stock DRZ.

The reality is my DRZS stripped down to an E still has an S title, so it plates everywhere.

2003IN and Suzuki B exhaust cam with the FCR and TRS exhaust is plenty of power.

It's the rider holding the bike back, not the other way around.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bermudacat said:

I'd trade my bike for a Beta 500RE before I exhale my next breath, but coming up with 10k is a little more difficult.

Not a problem in this state, but the RE won't plate everywhere. Buy the S and now you have a suspension project because it's no differently shimmed than the stock DRZ.

The reality is my DRZS stripped down to an E still has an S title, so it plates everywhere.

2003IN and Suzuki B exhaust cam with the FCR and TRS exhaust is plenty of power.

It's the rider holding the bike back, not the other way around.

The beta 500 RR is another grate choice , unfortunately it’s street legal in most Canada but not here in Quebec . You did a nice job lowering you bike weight , under 300 I think , nice . For me the problem with those 12 or 13 k bikes is how long is your investment going to last, considering what you’re doing with the bike ( trail riding) .  

 

 

 

 

Edited by habs
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The beta 500 RR is another grate choice , unfortunately it’s street legal in most Canada but not here in Quebec . You did a nice job lowering you bike weight , under 300 I think , nice . For me the problem with those 12 or 13 k bikes is how long is your investment going to last, considering what you’re doing with the bike ( trail riding) .  
 
 
 
 
Don't you have the RR-S in Canada?
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×