Sign in to follow this  

Jetting problems after adjusting powervalve.

I have a Ktm 200exc that was jetted very nicely. The other day, after doing some of research, I decided I wanted to play around with the powervalve. Now the the bike will rev to a certain rpm and then flatline on power (wont rev out). 1/8 - 1/2 throttle feels very nice, but 3/4 - full throttle wont rev any higher and doesn't have any power. Can anyone help me fix my mistake?

17 minutes ago, tchetek said:

Are you sure power valve is still opening?

No im not. But I do know that the adjuster only works in a certain area. What I mean by the is I can only see the powervalve moving through the sight window when It is screwed in at a certain amount, all the other times it just looks like it is holding still.

Try and set the power valve back to where it was. Your symptoms sound like incorrectly working valve, not jetting.

Joe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

Try and set the power valve back to where it was. Your symptoms sound like incorrectly working valve, not jetting.

Joe

this ^    

with the engine OFF you see the lever move up/down with the adjuster screw. It will be obvious.

if the engine is ON the arm will still move a little when you rev... so you wont really be able to tell if its stuck.

I've never had to re-jet after a PV adjustment... so probably not your problem unless your jetting was way off in the first place.

2 hours ago, 2strokezuke said:

with the engine OFF you see the lever move up/down with the adjuster screw. It will be obvious.

if the engine is ON the arm will still move a little when you rev... so you wont really be able to tell if its stuck.

I've never had to re-jet after a PV adjustment... so probably not your problem unless your jetting was way off in the first place.

Then how can I tell if the arm is stuck? I can see something moving through the sight window but it only moves a limited amount and im not sure if its the arm or not.

If you have the pv set for bottom end, then the slot on the control segment will be almost out of sight at the top of the left hand inspection window - when you rev the bike (quite hard), this slot will move down out of sight at the bottom of the window and return back up to its start position as engine returns to idle. If you have turned the adjuster nut in the start position of the slot will have moved down just above or below the slot on the plate just in front of it. You would be best to set the slot high up to start with. Other thing I was thinking - take it you haven't tightened the flap mounting bolts - the 8mm ones each side of the cylinder which are locked by the figure of eight plates. They are supposed to be finger tight then backed out 1/8 of a turn or else the flap sticks. The internal 'star' on the plates which are meant to stop the mounting bolts turning wear out and stop doing their job, although to be fair this usually causes the bolts to loosen. Bob.

Edited by 7Tktm
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 12:01 AM, QuinnEXC said:

Then how can I tell if the arm is stuck? I can see something moving through the sight window but it only moves a limited amount and im not sure if its the arm or not.

with the bike off the range will ~5mm. look at the notch to see how far its moving. it should be able to go all the way down to the langston setting

PVSettingMarks.jpg

imageproxy.jpg

Edited by 2strokezuke