Battery Died, now bike wont start

Help please.  I have an 03 S model. It has never had any issues whatsoever.  I didn't start it for about a month, due to an injury.  When I tried to start it, the battery was weak from sitting.  It cranked slowly, but did not start and the battery died completely.  I charged the battery up fully, and now when I push the start button, it doesn't do anything.  All of the lights work, the dash works, but it doesn't crank at all.  It doesn't even make a click sound.  I replaced the fuse, and tested the battery.  I am at a loss, I have no idea what else to look at.  Anyone have any suggestions?    

Bad battery. It might show 12.8 volts when sitting but I bet it plummets when you press the e-button. Though it could also be a bad ground, starter relay or starter. But do the volt test first.

• Like 1

Thank you for the response.  If the battery was weak, would the bike at least try to turn over.  It doesn't crank at all.  When i push the start button, nothing happens, but all of the lights work, so I know there is juice.

5 hours ago, William1 said:

Bad battery. It might show 12.8 volts when sitting but I bet it plummets when you press the e-button. Though it could also be a bad ground, starter relay or starter. But do the volt test first.

As William1 says check above paying particular attention to the starter relay.Bike batteries dont last long especially when standing.If you suspect the battery is older than two years i would replace it.

• Like 1

Do the lights go dim or out when hitting the starter button ? I've had plenty batteries go dead , often it will at least try to engage the starter or turn over slow, but not always . Testing it with a volt meter as you press the button will show what it does and then go from there as to another possible issue.

4 hours ago, jjktmrider said:

Do the lights go dim or out when hitting the starter button ? I've had plenty batteries go dead , often it will at least try to engage the starter or turn over slow, but not always . Testing it with a volt meter as you press the button will show what it does and then go from there as to another possible issue.

No, absolutely nothing happens.  Its like I am not pushing the button at all.  I ordered a new lithium battery, so we shall see.

17 hours ago, sharkcontrol said:

Lithium-although more expensive is the way to go.My lithium is going on five years now-no issues- and they have a long shelf life too.

That's what I went with.  Hope it works, or I wont know where to turn.

Based on your description, I'd assume the issue is the battery, just like everyone else here. But there is the possibility that it's unrelated to the battery and just a coincidence that arrived at the same time as the battery dying. This happened to me, when my kill switch got a little dirty inside and suddenly stopped working.

Check the clutch switch, sidestand switch, kill switch, etc. If the bike's been sitting for a while, one of the contacts may have gotten dirty. If one of the safety switches is engaged, pressing the starter button will result in no click, nothing. Naturally it'll be the last thing you check...but still, if you have a multimeter and some patience you might find you don't need to buy a new battery. 

Troubleshooting 101: Start with assuming the most common issues and testing for them, but don't rule any possibility out completely. Just when you think you've seen it all, something happens that you didn't see coming.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CreativeMoniker said:

Based on your description, I'd assume the issue is the battery, just like everyone else here. But there is the possibility that it's unrelated to the battery and just a coincidence that arrived at the same time as the battery dying. This happened to me, when my kill switch got a little dirty inside and suddenly stopped working.

Check the clutch switch, sidestand switch, kill switch, etc. If the bike's been sitting for a while, one of the contacts may have gotten dirty. If one of the safety switches is engaged, pressing the starter button will result in no click, nothing. Naturally it'll be the last thing you check...but still, if you have a multimeter and some patience you might find you don't need to buy a new battery. 

Troubleshooting 101: Start with assuming the most common issues and testing for them, but don't rule any possibility out completely. Just when you think you've seen it all, something happens that you didn't see coming.

Thanks CM.  I don't have a lot of mechanical knowledge with these bikes.  But I do have the Clymers manual. But, hopefully, its the battery.  

• Like 1

I wanted you to test the battery to see if that's where the issue is . Much cheaper testing than buying new if possible . I like my Lithium batteries but hate them **$@&# as well . Let it go close to dead ONCE and your out a battery , almost no forgiveness in them . I lost 2 , one was on it's first use and for some reason I apparently the key was left on (never did it before nor since) , at the end of the day it was dead and I couldn't revive it . Then there's the cold starting problems if you run all winter (or even have a winter).

Ok, I replaced the battery, replaced the fuzes, and am completely baffled.  Nothing happens at all when I try to start the bike.  It was running perfectly, and then the battery died, then nothing.  I cant even imagine what could have been triggered by a dead battery to cause this.

Anyway you can try to bumpstart it or pull it ? at least verify it's in the starting system not stator . If you have a multimeter you can check for voltage at the relay ,starter button and ignition key , then follow the juice when turning the key on to verify where it stops . Also make sure the start/stop switch on the right handle bar is ON not OFF . It kind of sounds like a connector has come apart .

• Like 2

So, I feel stupid and have no clue how these 2 corresponded.  But the previous owner installed a jet ski type emergency shut off with the cord that you attach to your body.  Somehow, or coincidence, the emergency shut off screwed up right when my battery died.  So, I replaced all new fuzes, I bought a new battery, and in the end, a mechanic came over, wired to 2 wires to that switch together, and voila, she cranked right up.  But thanks for al of your assistance in troubleshooting.   

Ahh the other shoe.  Always a significant detail not presented. Glad you got it sorted. Even with no knowledge of the emergency switch the advise to check the battery voltage when trying to crank was still valid and could of pointed to an interlock problem although the jet ski defeat switch is a new one on me.

I am confused.heaps of good ,sound advice to help solve problem.Yet seemed to fall on deaf ears lol?

6 hours ago, 04 wr450 said:

I am confused.heaps of good ,sound advice to help solve problem.Yet seemed to fall on deaf ears lol?

Well, now we are both confused.  I did everything that was suggested, and thanked people along the way.  I had my mechanic come over when I had exhausted everything that I had the knowledge to do, to check all of the other things.  So, how you came to your conclusion is beyond me.

3 hours ago, floridalawdog said:

Well, now we are both confused.  I did everything that was suggested, and thanked people along the way.  I had my mechanic come over when I had exhausted everything that I had the knowledge to do, to check all of the other things.  So, how you came to your conclusion is beyond me.

Well he said he was confused.

You did well for your knowledge and experiance, I've got over 40 years auto electric experiance and still sometimes get tripped up by the simplest stupid things. Though after charging the battery, a simple load test would have told you if the battery was ok.

PO must have really been afraid of the bike running away from him, also a new one on me, having a lanyard kill switch.

Maybe he raced it , most if not all racing venues I think require a tether switch , at least in the divisions I raced in with quads. The bikes had to as well .