Can't find good 2-Stroke oil, any advice

Hello everyone,

I live in a country where riding is not a big thing. There isn't any real market for high performance 2 strokes specifically. 

The only 2-stroke oil I could find is a brand-less oil sold at the gas station that just says 'Semi-synthetic 2-Stroke oil for motorcycles' and has no other information or instructions and it has a strong petrol-y smell to it.  Other oil I could find is 'Yamalube Outboard 2 stroke oil'. Which I know is decent for outboard applications but it says not to use for land applications since it's not made for high temperatures.

Frankly I don't trust either of these for my RM250. 

Castor oil available is food grade and isn't cheap. 

The market for car and 4 stroke oils is pretty good.

Is there any mixture of oils I could mix that would do the job? Or even adding some additives to the crappy oils to make them work better?

10 minutes ago, Christoffer Brandel said:

Which country are you from? There really isn't any online store that have good 2 stroke oil? Yamaha rep that can get you Yamalube 2R?

Maybe you can buy it abroad and import it? Might be a good options if you are inside the EU, might cost to much in taxes/tariffs otherwise.

I rather not say. There is no online stores for such thing. Yamaha dealers only had outboard 2t oil. I can probably import but importing is such a big hassle and most places don't ship here. 

2 minutes ago, RevyRoamer said:

Do you have Amazon there?

Lots of oil brands available for order on Amazon. 

Amazon doesn't ship there unfortunately. You can't receive shipments to your home address. All shipments must be picked up personally at customs and it's such a hassle.

1 hour ago, Yap Yap said:

Amazon doesn't ship there unfortunately. You can't receive shipments to your home address. All shipments must be picked up personally at customs and it's such a hassle.

That sucks! 

Purolator Courier vans are at my house so often, dropping off Amazon shipments, the drivers know all of us and our dogs on a first name basis. 

4 hours ago, Yap Yap said:

Hello everyone,

I live in a country where riding is not a big thing. There isn't any real market for high performance 2 strokes specifically. 

The only 2-stroke oil I could find is a brand-less oil sold at the gas station that just says 'Semi-synthetic 2-Stroke oil for motorcycles' and has no other information or instructions and it has a strong petrol-y smell to it.  Other oil I could find is 'Yamalube Outboard 2 stroke oil'. Which I know is decent for outboard applications but it says not to use for land applications since it's not made for high temperatures.

Is there any mixture of oils I could mix that would do the job? Or even adding some additives to the crappy oils to make them work better?

@The Spanky  Maybe you can help with his limited available choices.  He can't get oil shipped to where he lives at.

I know your "package" handling skills won't help but your extensive lubricate knowledge probably will.   ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yap Yap said:

I rather not say. There is no online stores for such thing. Yamaha dealers only had outboard 2t oil. I can probably import but importing is such a big hassle and most places don't ship here. 

CaveMike go on vacation once to I would rather not say. It really horrible there. Him hoping for better next year. Spring Break Iraq 2019! 

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Yap Yap said:

Hello everyone,

Modern oils are all pretty good, even cheap Walmart brand premix oil will protect your engine reasonably well. The semi-syn that you mentioned is probably fine, a semi-synthetic oil will be a Group III oil which is more than adequate. People used to run four-stroke oil in their two-strokes, and they survived. And I've known plenty of people that just buy generic oil at the gas station when they get gas. I wouldn't worry, just mix it at least 32:1. If you're really uneasy about it, mix it at 20:1 and go up a size on the main jet. 

To be honest, in a country like you describe I'd be more worried about detonation from poor fuel quality. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, The Spanky said:

Modern oils are all pretty good, even cheap Walmart brand premix oil will protect your engine reasonably well. The semi-syn that you mentioned is probably fine, a semi-synthetic oil will be a Group III oil which is more than adequate. People used to run four-stroke oil in their two-strokes, and they survived. And I've known plenty of people that just buy generic oil at the gas station when they get gas. I wouldn't worry, just mix it at least 32:1. If you're really uneasy about it, mix it at 20:1 and go up a size on the main jet. 

To be honest, in a country like you describe I'd be more worried about detonation from poor fuel quality. 

Fuel quality is the best 98 octane at the pump. I was able to get a product sheet for that gas station brand mysterious oil. Apparently it's semi-synthetic and has those ratings:

JASO-FD
API-TC
ISO-L-EGD

That makes it good enough I think.

Edited by Yap Yap
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Yap Yap said:

Fuel quality is the best 98 octane at the pump. I was able to get a product sheet for that gas station brand mysterious oil. Apparently it's semi-synthetic and has those ratings:

JASO-FD
API-TC
ISO-L-EGD

Yes those standards will be fine.  32:1 and go rip! ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Yap Yap said:

JASO-FD
API-TC
ISO-L-EGD

JASO FA – original spec established regulating lubricity, detergency, initial torque, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking.

JASO FB – increased lubricity, detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FA.
JASO FC – lubricity and initial torque requirements same as FB, however far higher detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FB.
JASO FD - same as FC with far higher detergency requirement.

JASO FD is the best rating JASO has, so you should be good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yap Yap said:

Do not use food grade castor oil. It does not live long when mixed with gasoline. It does smell good, but as you say, its too expensive.

I'd just use the brand-less oil that is easy to buy. While "which oil is best" is a great topic to have endless threads on forums, its all mostly BS. From the data sheet you have, you'll be fine. And the Yamaha outboard oil will not be terrible. Engines that are not used for racing are not all that sensitive to oil. You can get away with automotive 10w30 in a pinch.

The reality is that there are not many "crappy oil" out there. If its a new oil, its gonna work pretty well. Might smoke more, or be more gummy, but sounds like you don't have much choice.

Also, be careful with your "98 octane" labeled gasoline. Different countries have different laws and policies on octane ratings. Until you have experience with the gas and oil you are using, check the plug fairly often. Look for both the soot of too much, and the little tiny shiny silver balls of detonation and death.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Thread from Kazakhstan. Is nice. 

He is town rapist. 

JK..

Sounds like OP found a new business opportunity!  I would capitalize the shit out of it. I know those southeastern European countries are going nuts for Enduro cross right now. 

Just now, shrubitup said:

:naughty: Rotella

Nah Nah ATF!

• Like 2