Can't find good 2-Stroke oil, any advice

8 hours ago, pat22043 said:

Do not use food grade castor oil. It does not live long when mixed with gasoline. It does smell good, but as you say, its too expensive.

I'd just use the brand-less oil that is easy to buy. While "which oil is best" is a great topic to have endless threads on forums, its all mostly BS. From the data sheet you have, you'll be fine. And the Yamaha outboard oil will not be terrible. Engines that are not used for racing are not all that sensitive to oil. You can get away with automotive 10w30 in a pinch.

The reality is that there are not many "crappy oil" out there. If its a new oil, its gonna work pretty well. Might smoke more, or be more gummy, but sounds like you don't have much choice.

Also, be careful with your "98 octane" labeled gasoline. Different countries have different laws and policies on octane ratings. Until you have experience with the gas and oil you are using, check the plug fairly often. Look for both the soot of too much, and the little tiny shiny silver balls of detonation and death.

They do use the ROM method for octane measurement. It's pretty decent gas. It equates to the 93 octane in the US/Canada with (M+R)/2 method. Not exactly race gas but my RM250 manual says:

"Use only unleaded gasoline of at least 90 pump octane (R/2 + M/2 method)."

"Use only unleaded gasoline of at least 95 octane. (Research method) For other countries "

I am using 98 research method just to be safe. 

• Like 2

Yap Island is a cool place. Huge stone wheels were once used for money, and many still remain and are precious family heirlooms. Tried to get my wife to go. She was excited until she found out one of the islands is native dress only. Women go topless, including visitors. Wife said she wasn't going there, and neither was I. ?

5b4795c3dc3f7_YapIslandMoney.jpg.3ccadd73cc09138fc163e053c6a366a7.jpg

Edited by LSHD
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Yap Yap said:

I am not from Yap, I picked this name when I was drunk one day. Just a coincidence. Yap is way nicer than the dusty frying pan I am at right now.

I have no doubt it's nicer the place you are really at.  I'd go to Yap but not where you're at, dusty frying pans aren't my thing.

Considering the thread about the guy who ran air filter oil in his 2-stroke accidentally I don't think I'd worry too much about what 2-stroke oil you use.   Enduro bikes typically run at pretty low rpms so they don't need a ton of lubrication.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CDNSXV said:

Considering the thread about the guy who ran air filter oil in his 2-stroke accidentally I don't think I'd worry too much about what 2-stroke oil you use.   Enduro bikes typically run at pretty low rpms so they don't need a ton of lubrication.

I am usually having my throttle pinned in the dunes though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ss-racing said:

Back when I was a young buck,  a friend's family had Arctic Cat snow machines, and his dad would mix Rotella 20:1 for their 3 sleds , never a problem. 

...I grew up thinking Rotella was 2-stroke oil until I bought a diesel pickup. ?

But now you run rotella in your diesel fuel tho, right?

• Like 3

On 7/12/2018 at 10:54 AM, LSHD said:

Yap Island is a cool place. Huge stone wheels were once used for money, and many still remain and are precious family heirlooms. Tried to get my wife to go. She was excited until she found out one of the islands is native dress only. Women go topless, including visitors. Wife said she wasn't going there, and neither was I. :lol:

5b4795c3dc3f7_YapIslandMoney.jpg.3ccadd73cc09138fc163e053c6a366a7.jpg

Is she really worried those island yap knockers are going to be better than hers?

• Like 2