psychocandy

Security chain recommendations?

10 posts in this topic

Not a recommendation for the chain itself. But where to run the chain through. Woke up this morning & someone stole my cover. Hopefully it was just a homeless person that needed a tarp to make a camp or something.

I know running the chain through one of the wheels isn't really that much of a deterrent (better than nothing I suppose). I don't really see anywhere on the frame I could loop it through. Maybe around one of the fork tubes between the upper & lower triple clamp?

Can anyone who uses a chain show some pics of how you do the thing?

Well, the fork tubes is not the frame.You need to secure the bike by the frame,one wheel and preferably a ground anchor,telephone pole or the trailer hitch of a vehicle or something like that.Also have the lock suspended so to make it difficult to saw through as much as possible.

If you bend down and take a knee there is a triangular opening on each side of the frame on a drz,right under the footpeg.That is a good place to run a chain or heavy cable through.

As an added precaution you can be a gadget that locks onto the front disc-this will at least stop the guys from trying to wheel the bike away.Aliexpress sells them,

"Safety Cycling Mountain Road Bike Bicycle Lock Steel Security Anti-Theft Motorcycle Lock Rotor Disc Brake"

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, sharkcontrol said:

As an added precaution you can be a gadget that locks onto the front disc-this will at least stop the guys from trying to wheel the bike away.Aliexpress sells them,

"Safety Cycling Mountain Road Bike Bicycle Lock Steel Security Anti-Theft Motorcycle Lock Rotor Disc Brake"

Some also have an alarm that sounds if the bike is moved as well. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

When I travel with my quads and they sat in parking lots I always used as many deterrents as possible , making any thieves have to overcome at least 3 devises . 2 cables and a disc lock. You can loop one cable through the rear rim plus the swingarm . They'd have to remove the rear wheel to free the bike but then the wheel is still cabled to something . The main frame by the footpegs would be another spot . I liked coated cables to prevent scratching stuff . double paddle locks( different brands and type) increase the issues a thief has  . Basically make it such a PITA that they walk away because it's not worth it for the time it would take them . I even had a deadman switch so if they unhitched my trailer(by overcame the 3 deterrents holding it to my truck) to take the whole thing the truck alarm would go off .

Edited by jjktmrider
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

i'd use a cable combination style bike lock on the rear wheel .. if they want it bad enough to cut locks or leave a wheel theyre going to get it .. i'd replace the cover to, a cheapo bike cover from ebay and a couple of tent clamps .. the main issues ive had with bikes over the years is idiots taking parts off of them .. a cover is the biggest deterrent to that ... ive never had a cover stolen though before lol .. thats crazy ..

Edited by cowpie

When I was a kid someone stole my CR250. I lived at the top of a long fairly steep hill and I hope they tried to ride the bike down. The bike was a project, the engine had no piston installed, the brake disc’s were both off to be installed on different wheels and it had no chain. The bike was just literally stuck together to move it out of the way and not loose parts. Whoever took it was in for a hell of a ride! I also had a CRF450 stolen out of the back of my truck, that bike was only a few months old...

I already use a disc lock on the rear wheel. I'll check for the little triangle by the shifter. 

I live in SF Bay Area of CA. Lotta homeless folks. So a stolen cover is not super surprising. Although it's summer, so not rainy season. Shrug. Just one more "tax" I guess.