Truck too tall to load bike easily, what to do?

I load my bike onto a hitch hauler like the attached picture. Except now that I upgraded my truck's suspension, the rear end sits high enough that it's really hard for me to load my bike (I can barely reach the handlebars when standing on the ground). I've seen people with homemade stools for getting their bike into the BED of the truck (not what I do). Anyone run into this problem? How did you solve it? I have a small square step stool, but I don't think it'd work since it'd only give me a square foot to stand on, and I need to move horizontally. I'm actually a little hesitant to go for a ride since loading the bike is really hard to do without dropping it.

1275965217product_evaluation_versahaul_sport_motorcycle_carrier1.jpg

Try a hitch hauler that jacks up instead. 

• Like 1

My truck is lifted 8” on 35” tires. Granted it’s a midsize but when I load my 250 on a hitch carrier I can barely reach the handlebars to unload it too. I usually end up have to grab the frame to get it out of the first groove then reach up to grab the brake. A folding step stool in my truck helps to reach when o just can’t (uneven ground or whatever)

IMG_2193.JPG

I use 2 10 Ft folding ramps. The walking ramp I put on the bumper by the tag and the other on the tailgate works pretty good. Went from 2wd to 4x4 on 35s and the first time I loaded I realized what a big mistake it was my old 6ft ramp wasn't going to cut it anymore. But I think hitch hauler would be best. Only a crew cab with 8ft empty bed looks kind of ridiculous with hitch hauler. Starting to see more and more people that use their trucks for work using the hauler so they don't have to unload their work stuff.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

Yeah, lower that shit back down to man height, bro height trucks are useless.

Meh... Lol, just let the man load his bike... And afterward punch himself in the dick for whining about a problem he created...lol

Edited by Hans Schmid
  • Like 15

MX Hauler, with a with an Offset reciever hitch. I can load it with one arm. Which is important if / when I get hurt and need to load it.IMG_20180328_111352_579.jpeg

• Like 8

Did u hack some holes in the bed for smoke stacks too brah? :smirk:

May get kind of hard to stay in your lane, go the speed limit, pass a gas station, and load a bike now huh?

You want street cred, pull up with the bike hanging off the back of a Kia lol

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, HeavyRotation said:

Yeah, lower that shit back down to man height, bro height trucks are useless.

My truck is a 2000 Toyota Tacoma TRD (factory lifted) with about 1" extra height due to air helper springs. It's not vanity lifted or anything. Mostly I'm just short. On 31" tires.

I thought about a drop receiver but I'm a little concerned it'll create additional leverage on the hitch, since the bike would be hanging farther off the back of the truck.

Edited by pontoon
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Rasta Papa said:

MX Hauler, with a with an Offset reciever hitch. I can load it with one arm. Which is important if / when I get hurt and need to load it.IMG_20180328_111352_579.jpeg

Nice bike. Reminds me of Chazmanians scary fast 525 thread.

• Like 2

Did u hack some holes in the bed for smoke stacks too brah? :smirk:
May get kind of hard to stay in your lane, go the speed limit, pass a gas station, and load a bike now huh?
You want street cred, pull up with the bike hanging off the back of a Kia lol

IMG_2809.JPGWill this work ? Saw this at Ronnie Mac’s Bday party in Oklahoma a few weekends ago
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, pontoon said:

My truck is a 2000 Toyota Tacoma TRD (factory lifted) with about 1" extra height due to air helper springs. It's not vanity lifted or anything. Mostly I'm just short. On 31" tires.

I thought about a drop receiver but I'm a little concerned it'll create additional leverage on the hitch, since the bike would be hanging farther off the back of the truck.

The extra couple inches the drop receiver pushes your bike out won't make much of a difference for a dirt bike.  If you're hauling a sport bike it might make a difference, it really would depend on the max tongue weight your truck is rated for.  Although, since you added air helper springs, that alone should negate any effects of a longer drop receiver.

• Like 1

The key word !Up grade the suspension!!! It's more like down graded the Suspension! Not only did you waste your money now it's costing you money! Re doing the hitch hauler, truck will get less gas mileage do to piss poor aerodynamics, and oh! I guessed it you down graded your tires to a larger size! More piss poor gas mileage!  Get a set of stilts, one so you can reach the handle bars 2 so you can reach the door handle of the truck. God I think I just solved all your delirium!

• Like 3

Even if you extend the hitch out a foot more, a dirt bike is still nothing for weight on a pickup. If your truck cannot handle it then it's time to buy a different truck and burn the heap you have. 

• Like 2