Why do people “blur or cover” their license plates? I don’t get it, do you?

5 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

To all who are worried about their license plates online, or their registration numbers being seen, how many AA and AAA batteries do you have left over from Y2K?  How much canned food did you have to throw away because it is way past its expiration date?  At least the bottled water you have stored is still good for a while along with the money you have, and all the ammunition you had stockpiled.  

2 hours ago, Shackleton said:

Is it me or does this NOT make a bit of sense?

It's just you.   ?

He's taking about Y2K doomsday preppers and zombie apocalypse fanatics.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2018 at 3:37 PM, Yap Yap said:

You seem not to understand my cause of concern. I don't care about posting my plates on thumpertalk. There is nothing for me to hide here. BUT lets say I am on blue light forum where I discuss my hypothetical drug habits then I would blur my plates. Another thing, lets say I am discussing how corrupt the government is in my dictatorial/corrupt government and then I post a picture of my car, I would blur the plates. Lets say I have an Instagram where I usually post videos of myself evading police or reckless driving. I wouldn't let my plate show there.

It's just not to link my online activity to my real life identity. For legal reasons and for security reasons. Most people seem paranoid about blurring because it doesn't take much effort to blur it and have peace of mind. On the other hand I know plenty of stories where people posted wrong stuff online and got into trouble for it.

TL;DR

On 7/12/2018 at 0:13 PM, HansLanda said:

Nothing good can come from it, and it takes 2 seconds to cover up. 

I can't see it hurting anything in a typical "for sale" type of post BUT if you are showing some sort of law breaking event, I can see problems with a plate in a pic or video.

If there was the possibility of any danger, then anyone who drives their car/motorcycle risks exposure.

I'm going to keep on reading on the chance that I am missing something.... my recant is ready for copy/paste, lol

6 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Fear not, she is looking for YOUR plate numbers.  You will be getting a phone call, and if you are lucky, a knock on your door-very soon.  

Accompanied by a large black dude wearing an assless Batman suit. 

• Like 4

I do here in UK, and with good reason.

People clone the plates here. Need a valid plate for a yellow DRZ, no problem, check out a forum, get plate details, go ride like an idiot and rack up loads of speed camera fines. 3 weeks later you are trying to prove why it can't have been you as you've never visited [insert county].

http://klickplates.com/news/22/10-steps-to-take-if-your-number-plates-have-been-cloned/

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/27/number-plate-cloning-drivers-fraud

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5483371/driver-con-numberplate-cloned-parking-fine-hull-dean-mulligan/

There is also one that is much worse, which can result in your bike being seized and possibly crushed. I'm not going to detail it here but it is possible in the right circumstances using only your pictures. This one is UK specific as far as I know, and would only affect trail riders, thankfully I'm not aware of any cases as it's not well known.

• Like 2