Why do people “blur or cover” their license plates? I don’t get it, do you?

48 minutes ago, OnPipe said:

Lucky for you I live in Canada. Do you pre crinkle your tinfoil hats before you go in your bunker? Or shape them after you wrap your melon. 

You seem not to understand my cause of concern. I don't care about posting my plates on thumpertalk. There is nothing for me to hide here. BUT lets say I am on blue light forum where I discuss my hypothetical drug habits then I would blur my plates. Another thing, lets say I am discussing how corrupt the government is in my dictatorial/corrupt government and then I post a picture of my car, I would blur the plates. Lets say I have an Instagram where I usually post videos of myself evading police or reckless driving. I wouldn't let my plate show there.

It's just not to link my online activity to my real life identity. For legal reasons and for security reasons. Most people seem paranoid about blurring because it doesn't take much effort to blur it and have peace of mind. On the other hand I know plenty of stories where people posted wrong stuff online and got into trouble for it.

Edited by Yap Yap

11 minutes ago, Yap Yap said:

You seem not to understand my cause of concern. I don't care about posting my plates on thumpertalk. There is nothing for me to hide here. BUT lets say I am on blue light forum where I discuss my hypothetical drug habits then I would blur my plates. Another thing, lets say I am discussing how corrupt the government is in my dictatorial/corrupt government and then I post a picture of my car, I would blur the plates. Lets say I have an Instagram where I usually post videos of myself evading police or reckless driving. I wouldn't let my plate show there.

It's just not to link my online activity to my real life identity. For legal reasons and for security reasons. Most people seem paranoid about blurring because it doesn't take much effort to blur it and have peace of mind. On the other hand I know plenty of stories where people posted wrong stuff online and got into trouble for it.

I 100% understand, I just think it’s unnecessary paranoia. To eachs own I guess. What you do with your license plate doesn’t affect me nor do I care. 

Isnt it wonderful.

• Like 1

No they gotten in trouble for the illegal activity not for posting. Posting just got them caught, faster.
  • Like 3

I'm coming for you....... .

I'll have that piece tonight......

??? Is the registration up to date?  I can't afford to renew them??

I cover my dirt bike tag so no one takes my picture or video and puts it on Youtube

Also good for deer cameras put up by tree huggers

6 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

I guess I don't get it. When I dual sport, my plate is in plain view for untold 1,000s. If someone wants a photo on the Interwebz, with a cell phone, it takes two seconds. I'm a nobody, so I don't see who would care. If you find me, tell me you're a TT'er and I'll buy you a beer. :thumbsup:

5a3acef178364_20171014_0852471.jpg

He hasn't even offered that to any Mod's around here!!! I am truly hurt and feel under appreciated  :smirk: 

• Like 4

Ok so everybody says only a cop blahblah or call a buddy. I went online and searched my bike plate 678VRR in Colorado and found my bike make, year and for $2.95 I can get the following : Name, registration records, title information, owner contact info and more. Didn't pay the extra to see, but from a name I can find your address easy online free and your relatives as well. Did that with a guy at work who has no online profiles or information, 5 minutes later told him where he lived, had lived and where his mom lives. 

https://recordsfinder.com/plate/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plate_traffic&utm_keyword=finding vehicle owner by license plate number_b&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0tf39Nua3AIVELXACh29hgoIEAAYASAAEgJcnPD_BwE

I blur or take certain angle pics only because I have a 1930 and 1969 car restoration going on at my shop at home. Same address as my bike plate. Like someone said why give out information if you don't need to, yeah someone can follow me home, but caution is a good idea. The plate number I gave is fake but the state is right so if you read to the end now you won't waste your time finding my house.

I also know people who were selling a kids bike at home, they party that looked didn't buy, but two days later all their atv's and bikes were stolen. His garage was open during this possible sale and all items were visible. Use your head.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

This dude bought an aimpoint red dot scope for picatinny rail and other firearms stuff as a felon. I thought the local police in S. Florida might care, but I kid you not, they blew it off. I guess a drug dealer felon likely with ARs doesn't bother them too much. Ewwwwkay!

red dot for picatinny rail is not illegal even for a felon, may not possess firearms.

a felon may hunt or use for target practice a bow or crossbow not sure about muzzle loaders because they are not technically considered a firearm and may be purchased online without having to go thru a ffl which is required of firearms sales purchased online.

• Like 2

Just as a word of caution. Never sell something you've listed online (or just to someone you don't know) out of your home. Meet them in a public place. 

Why? FYI my guns are located at home.

It's just misplaced paranoia, because people are very protective of numbers that identify us. All our lives, we're told not to give anyone our social security number, or our address, or our credit card numbers, birthday, etc... so it's just a natural extension of that mindset. 

It is however not necessary. The Driver's Privacy Protection Act prohibits the disclosure of personal information gathered by motor vehicle departments. So the most information a person with your plate number could possibly get is the make and model of your vehicle, they can not get any personal or identifying info on you. 

Edited by The Spanky
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, kdxyardsale said:

Ok so everybody says only a cop blahblah or call a buddy. I went online and searched my bike plate 678VRR in Colorado and found my bike make, year and for $2.95 I can get the following : Name, registration records, title information, owner contact info and more. Didn't pay the extra to see, but from a name I can find your address easy online free and your relatives as well. Did that with a guy at work who has no online profiles or information, 5 minutes later told him where he lived, had lived and where his mom lives. 

https://recordsfinder.com/plate/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plate_traffic&utm_keyword=finding vehicle owner by license plate number_b&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0tf39Nua3AIVELXACh29hgoIEAAYASAAEgJcnPD_BwE

I blur or take certain angle pics only because I have a 1930 and 1969 car restoration going on at my shop at home. Same address as my bike plate. Like someone said why give out information if you don't need to, yeah someone can follow me home, but caution is a good idea. The plate number I gave is fake but the state is right so if you read to the end now you won't waste your time finding my house.

I also know people who were selling a kids bike at home, they party that looked didn't buy, but two days later all their atv's and bikes were stolen. His garage was open during this possible sale and all items were visible. Use your head.

It doesn't even have a section for Canada. Tried it on a friends car with Washington state plates, fail.

8 hours ago, Dirt Mcgurt said:

If someone posted a fraudulent ad with your bike pics and used that to rob someone wouldn't you rather not have your name/license plate tied to it? 

Good point.

Since we are 3 pages in ill go Slightly off Subject..

How many guys leave their racing numbers on their bikes when they sell them ?? 

I love it when i see an ad that says "trail ridden only" and you look the race number up on the bike or a lot even have their name and you see the guy won the season in his Class , or the owner before him did.:smirk:

But its all good if they are up front about it. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Shackleton said:

Why? FYI my guns are located at home.

You want a complete stranger, who's background you are completely oblivious to, to show up at your home where your wife and daughter/son sleep. Who's there to "buy" something. Perhaps, he is there to do some recon, check out your house and the shit you have in it. He sees you don't park your cars in the garage. Comes over a week later mid day and sees no cars in the driveway. Home's empty. Clear for entry. Him and his cronies make off with all your shit of value because you were too stupid to practice basic protection principles. That's a best case scenario.

Your guns are at home? Do you bring them out holstered on your hip, or a rifle slung across your body when you meet? Because I have mine situated concealed, against the law, because I'm a piece of shit scumbag who is here to do you harm and has no intention of buying anything from you. 

This is hypothetical. But you do realize, this happens nearly everyday all over this country. You can live behind a "progressive" barrier all you want. Just realize that barrier shields you from reality. Just meet the dude in a friggin parking lot, where there's a lot of witnesses.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Yap Yap said:

If I don't like you I can use your video doing a wheelie + your admission online with the licence plate number to report you to the police. They have their discretion but if they don't like you for some reason they can slap you with reckless driving with plenty of evidence. I for example removed the EPA crap and blocked it off on my dual sport, this is a federal offense and carries huge fines. If I post my plates and someone wants to be a dick to me then it's very possible to get into trouble. I am not a lawyer so don't quote me too much. Blurring my plates is too easy for what potential problems I might face if for some reason someone out there wants to get me.

I highly doubt that you reporting something from a foreign country about a US citizen that "you don't like" will hold any merit.  Get your head out of the sand...   Since when does the EPA or the federal government have any say about what you do in a foreign country.  It's not an international organization and federal laws don't apply either.

When I do wheelies across the police chiefs lawn and have it videoed I always use electricians tape and put one of my friends plate number on mine.  Always good for a laugh when they want me to post bail!

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Shackleton said:

What should I do when riding it with an exposed plate ? Lol

Take it off and leave it home in the garage for safe keeping. ;)

• Like 4

I see it all the time and I guess I thought gee there is a lot of paranoid people out there.

Is there a good reason for doing this?

I think there is a much bigger risk of a thief following me around until I park my bike and then stealing my
Dirty WOP, then there is of someone see my bike in a photo on the internet and then somehow finding out where I live, then coming over to steal it

TELL THE TRUTH......have you ever blurred out or covered up your license plate in photos of your car or motorcycle, and you didn’t even know why you did it?

I haven’t but I will confess that I always have a loaded G19 on me whenever someone is coming over to buy something I’ve advertised for sale.

Say .........
maybe I am the paranoid one after all!

I don't get it either. People see your license plate every time you ride your bike. Or drive your vehicle.
  • Like 2