Why do people “blur or cover” their license plates? I don’t get it, do you?

4 minutes ago, Diverdown said:
18 hours ago, Dirty WOP said:

I see it all the time and I guess I thought gee there is a lot of paranoid people out there.

Is there a good reason for doing this?

I think there is a much bigger risk of a thief following me around until I park my bike and then stealing my
Dirty WOP, then there is of someone see my bike in a photo on the internet and then somehow finding out where I live, then coming over to steal itemoji848.png

TELL THE TRUTH......have you ever blurred out or covered up your license plate in photos of your car or motorcycle, and you didn’t even know why you did it?

I haven’t but I will confess that I always have a loaded G19 on me whenever someone is coming over to buy something I’ve advertised for sale.

Say emoji46.png.........
maybe I am the paranoid one after all!

Read more  

I don't get it either. People see your license plate every time you ride your bike. Or drive your vehicle.

Exactly! 

But unlike some others you are not paranoid and/or have many skeletons in your closet.

I've come out of a store or wherever I was and seen people taking pictures of my bikes while they were parked. I think it's cool they admired it so much that they stopped and took pics, but am not paranoid about them now having my plate number.

License plates are available to the public any time your not parked in the garage at home.

Most gas stations and parking lots have cameras that take your plate number in pics whenever you go out. Cameras are all over! 

If your this paranoid it's going to be a tough life, instead relax and enjoy before stress or an ulcer kills you.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, MentalGuru said:

I highly doubt that you reporting something from a foreign country about a US citizen that "you don't like" will hold any merit.  Get your head out of the sand...   Since when does the EPA or the federal government have any say about what you do in a foreign country.  It's not an international organization and federal laws don't apply either.

I am from PA, don't live there now but that's where I am going back eventually. I don't have to say the truth to get you in trouble. Have you ever heard of swatting?

Also why do you have to make it like I am going to be the one who is going to do it? This isn't about me.

Edited by Yap Yap

5 minutes ago, Yap Yap said:

I am from PA, don't live there now but that's where I am going back eventually. I don't have to say the truth to get you in trouble. Have you ever heard of swatting?

Then they use all their resources to hunt you down for filing a false report. Enjoy prison...don't drop the soap...

1 minute ago, RevyRoamer said:

Then they use all their resources to hunt you down for filing a false report. Enjoy prison...don't drop the soap...

Not if the person who did it is not in the US or knows how to cover their butt. 

16 minutes ago, Yap Yap said:

Not if the person who did it is not in the US or knows how to cover their butt. 

If you cover your butt is it ok to drop the soap?

• Like 3

All the over 50 guys at my work stick a post-it note (sticky note) over the web cam on every computer monitor.  They seem to think they are being watched.  The other day after reading an article the one guy in great surprise asked me “do you know Google knows your location?”.  :lol:

But I must confess I have blurred my plate in many posts.  Mainly out of habit because it was the thing everyone does.  But I always wondered why....lol.

Actually the deputy director of the FBI testified before Congress earlier this year.
They asked him how does he prevent hackers from tapping into his cameras on his personal electronic devices?
He replied that he puts electrical tape over all the cameras in his home.

We are so F’d
  • Like 3

It's one of those poorly thought out scared-of-your-own-shadow things. Our city has 3 million people in it, and you wouldn't think twice about driving your vehicle down the interstate in front of them.

I sell things out of my house. I won't live in fear, and it's me they had better be afraid of if they misbehave. Selling is often about relationships and a comfort level.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Leardriver said:

It's one of those poorly thought out scared-of-your-own-shadow things. Our city has 3 million people in it, and you wouldn't think twice about driving your vehicle down the interstate in front of them.

I sell things out of my house. I won't live in fear, and it's me they had better be afraid of if they misbehave. Selling is often about relationships and a comfort level.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. 100% agree with this. 

• Like 2

`Had a friend who worked for a state government agency. He was a non-violent type, but he'd see a cute girl in a car and look her up by her license plate. He was not in law enforcement, he did not work for the DMV or DOT. And he had the ability to do this. He also stalked an ex-girlfriend to intimidate her. I am no longer friends with this conservative freak.

Cover up your plates when posting on the internet people.

• Like 1

I have never, in all my years of being part of all manner of internet forums, ever read of a single, solitary issue where one had posted up their license plate, OHRV registrations, boat numbers, snowmobile registrations, and had any sort of problem.  It just does not happen.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Leardriver said:

19 minutes ago, OnPipe said:

Couldn’t have said it better myself. 100% agree with this. 

I agree with this but not the selling out of the house part.  It is just smart business to not bring strangers into your home.  I am often gone from home working nights with my wife and children at home.  We have a security system, a big dog, and an arsenal of rifles, shotguns, and pistols, but it ain’t much good when I’m not there to protect them.....and if I were there someone would have to drive through the bedroom wall before I would wake up.

It is just a simple rule in our home to meet in a public area for selling personal items.  Absolutely no fear, just smart.  My wife normally requests it.  It gives her peace of mind and I agree it’s a good practice.  

The home is your castle, your sanctuary.  It is a place for people we respect and trust, not a place for just any Tom, Dick, or Harry to come into.....but to each their own.  

Edited by Fatt_Tones
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Iffykid said:

red dot for picatinny rail is not illegal even for a felon, may not possess firearms.

I don't believe I ever said that it was.  A felon used a stolen credit card, so there's crime #1. But, it's not unreasonable to wonder if the fraudulent purchase of red dot was for a firearm he shouldn't have. That's how lots of crimes get solved, shining the light on things that indicate something, or things that don't add up.

• Like 2

Next topic, don't post on the internet.  People can look up your IP Address and come to your house for tea and crumpets. 

I know no one is changing anyone's mind on this subject.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Next topic, don't post on the internet.  People can look up your IP Address and come to your house for tea and crumpets. 

My IP address lies to the internet and says I live in the US.  It’s how I was able to get the US version of Netflix :) 

12 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Hell, public facial recognition is already out there, the NSA has been spying on whomever they want for a while now, and most of us carry a personal tracker ("dumb' phones) everywhere we go. Yep, a swirly on my plate is going to walk all that back. I guess it's no biggie to do so, but I think it's more feel good than anything. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fatt_Tones said:

My IP address lies to the internet and says I live in the US.  It’s how I was able to get the US version of Netflix :) 

Are you at work right now?   :excuseme:   

'Cause it's not saying that right now.   :p

• Like 3

How about worrying about the chip in ones credit card?, or, the vehicle remote key?  

My passwords are all 123456 or, all 111111, some are asdfgh.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leardriver said:

+1. 

A life spent living in fear, is not a life worth living. 

• Like 1