Why do people “blur or cover” their license plates? I don’t get it, do you?

33 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

How about worrying about the chip in ones credit card?, or, the vehicle remote key?  

My passwords are all 123456 or, all 111111, some are asdfgh.  

I drive my wife crazy because my phone and laptop have the same password and it's 3333, its annoying to me that I need a password at all. When I ride to the store which i do frequently I don't even lock the steering on my bike, and i hang my helmet on the footpeg and walk away. I refuse to believe everyone is evil and out to get me and live a life based on paranoia. Want to steal my laptop, no deep dark secrets in it. Feel a need to steal my helmet, so be it I'll ride home with no helmet, where I have more waiting. But no damn way will i be the guy walking around stressing out because my license plate is visible or someone could use my laptop if they stole it because the password is easy and I never change it. I actually feel bad for the paranoid people out there, I would rather be dead than live a life worried about little stuff like someone seeing my license plate or knowing where I live. I fly strangers around all the time in helicopters. If someone is going to kill me it most likely will be one of those passengers, especially since I can't fly and fight someone off at the same time. 

• Like 2

Scammers can use the plate number to get the vin, use the photo to put the bike up for sale online.  Careful prospective buyer thinks he's clever running the plate as not stolen, the vin through carfax. Thinks it's legit and sends a down payment, or payment and shipping.   Same bike pic appear over and over on sites all over the net. Happens all the time, usually listed with some crazy low price for fast turnover of the scam.

1 hour ago, highmarker said:

Scammers can use the plate number to get the vin, use the photo to put the bike up for sale online.  Careful prospective buyer thinks he's clever running the plate as not stolen, the vin through carfax. Thinks it's legit and sends a down payment, or payment and shipping.   Same bike pic appear over and over on sites all over the net. Happens all the time, usually listed with some crazy low price for fast turnover of the scam.

People, even low-life scammers, can just get VIN off any vehicle, on any road/parking lot anyway.  Why would they go through the trouble of searching through online posts in forums full of nonsense?  

Right, online auto shoppers are sending down payments and shipping.  Ok.  Sure.  Happens all the time to those shopping online, in the Bizzaro-world, maybe, but not in real life.  

Are these scammers living in caves, that are not full of monsoon water, that have internet access/WIFI, but no access to tag numbers and VIN?  

My gosh, are they just making things hard on themselves for the challenge of it all?  

This vast criminal enterprise of license plate/registration numbers being used for criminal activity has been enlightening and I am looking forward to more of these awesome stories of online graft and corruption from VIN and registration numbers.  Someone, please, "Alert the Press!"  The public needs to be protected.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

People, even low-life scammers, can just get VIN off any vehicle, on any road/parking lot anyway.  Why would they go through the trouble of searching through online posts in forums full of nonsense?  

Are these scammers living in caves, that are not full of monsoon water, that have internet access/WIFI, but no access to tag numbers and VIN?  

My gosh, are they just making things hard on themselves for the challenge of it all?  

This vast criminal enterprise of license plate/registration numbers being used for criminal activity has been enlightening and I am looking forward to more of these awesome stories of online graft and corruption from VIN and registration numbers.  Someone, please, "Alert the Press!"  The public needs to be protected.  

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/mcd/d/2016-harley-davidson-flhxs/6642367161.html

I see vins all over craigslist on cars, trucks, bikes, you know it... That took me all but 10 seconds. 

• Like 1

The real answer is lock up all your bikes and vehicles in a shop with no windows. 

Then go build a safe room in your house and lock yourself in it forever. This world is just too unsafe to venture outside.

• Like 2

`Had a friend who worked for a state government agency. He was a non-violent type, but he'd see a cute girl in a car and look her up by her license plate. He was not in law enforcement, he did not work for the DMV or DOT. And he had the ability to do this. He also stalked an ex-girlfriend to intimidate her. I am no longer friends with this conservative freak.

Cover up your plates when posting on the internet people.

Oh F-me,

Apparently I did not get the email stating that to be a Conservative you were required to stalk strange women and intimidate former girlfriends.
No doubt I’m going to lose my Conservative Card over my lack creepy behavior.

Whatever will I do?

I can’t be a conservative anymore, and
I don’t think I can work up enough “BSC”
bad shit crazy to be a liberal.

It would appeared that I’m pegged!
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Diverdown said:
On 7/12/2018 at 2:14 AM, Dirty WOP said:

I see it all the time and I guess I thought gee there is a lot of paranoid people out there.

Is there a good reason for doing this?

I think there is a much bigger risk of a thief following me around until I park my bike and then stealing my
Dirty WOP, then there is of someone see my bike in a photo on the internet and then somehow finding out where I live, then coming over to steal itemoji848.png

TELL THE TRUTH......have you ever blurred out or covered up your license plate in photos of your car or motorcycle, and you didn’t even know why you did it?

I haven’t but I will confess that I always have a loaded G19 on me whenever someone is coming over to buy something I’ve advertised for sale.

Say emoji46.png.........
maybe I am the paranoid one after all!

Read more  

I don't get it either. People see your license plate every time you ride your bike. Or drive your vehicle.

This is not about the mass public who sees it every day.  It IS about connecting your personal info to something.  Like online activity under your user name or ISP number.  Or if you break the law connecting you to the crime.  The mass public has no reason to connect your (or any one elses) license to something unless you give them reason.

Random Example:

Lets say you were real proud of several sniper rifles you spent tons of money building and posted pictures of them on "long range shooter" forum or "snipers hide".  Some thief who wants them real bad can do a global search of your user name and find any posts containing personal information (like a license plate).  He could connect the dots and find out where he and his crew would set their next hit to get your guns.  Maybe even kill your wife and kids in the process. 

The point is,  it only takes a second to blur your plate so why wouldn't you want the extra bit of privacy.  IMO, it would be silly to think hardened criminals don't have some means to access the DMV data base.

• Like 1

My truck is worth more than some 'rifles', and probably easier to steal. No one stole it yet...

• Like 1

yes, anyone can grab your plate number riding to the store. But the exposer is just your community for a short time.  Post it online and it's forever, and professional hacks from all over the world have access to it.  Unlikely yes, odds are in our favor, but odds are changing daily in the wrong direction. With some of the reasoning here we shouldn't lock our home or car up when we leave, because they can just break into anyway?  Besides that nobody wants to see a stupid pic of your plate.  The internet is the biggest time waster invented, and biggest tool for fraud. Why encourage it.

To all who are worried about their license plates online, or their registration numbers being seen, how many AA and AAA batteries do you have left over from Y2K?  How much canned food did you have to throw away because it is way past its expiration date?  At least the bottled water you have stored is still good for a while along with the money you have, and all the ammunition you had stockpiled.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

To all who are worried about their license plates online, or their registration numbers being seen, how many AA and AAA batteries do you have left over from Y2K?  How much canned food did you have to throw away because it is way past its expiration date?  At least the bottled water you have stored is still good for a while along with the money you have, and all the ammunition you had stockpiled.  

Is it me or does this NOT make a bit of sense?

Edited by Shackleton

On 7/12/2018 at 2:10 PM, Fatt_Tones said:

All the over 50 guys at my work stick a post-it note (sticky note) over the web cam on every computer monitor.  They seem to think they are being watched.  The other day after reading an article the one guy in great surprise asked me “do you know Google knows your location?”.  :lol:

But I must confess I have blurred my plate in many posts.  Mainly out of habit because it was the thing everyone does.  But I always wondered why....lol.

Just turned 60, NEVER put tape, or anything else, over the cam...

On 7/12/2018 at 2:53 PM, OnPipe said:

Lucky for you I live in Canada. Do you pre crinkle your tinfoil hats before you go in your bunker? Or shape them after you wrap your melon. 

Precrinkled is better....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fatt_Tones said:

C576902B-0AA6-470B-A7C9-94B20692829B.jpeg

Try again, you're not fooling me.  :lol:    This post above was made from a different IP address then the post I quoted earlier. 

The IP I checked earlier had been used over 10,000 times by you.   :p

TS posts don't count towards your post count and you post like crazy there in your thread.  :smirk:

:cheers:

• Like 1