How much would you pay for this 300 xcw?

2006 300 xcw, with a Baja designs dual sport kit and a trailtech vapor already installed.

Hours unknown, owner says he's never been into the top end, says PO replaced rings. 

A few aftermarket parts, pipe, handguards, springs (will redo suspension anyway)

Both owners were old guys who used didn't ride much.

Here's the add: https://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/d/06-ktm-300xc/6639957837.html

5 minutes ago, Mudd94 said:

I came to post this.  

11 minutes ago, piltoyougram said:

$2500.00 would be a fair price

Thanks for the advice. These bikes do seem to be going for a bit more than that in my area. ( I could probably get one without the dual sport gear for that much, but I would have to drive two hours to do it.) Is there anything in particular that you have against the bike that would bring the price down, or is that about what you've seen them going for?

Edited by TheLastByte
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheLastByte said:

2006 300 xcw, with a Baja designs dual sport kit and a trailtech vapor already installed.

Hours unknown, owner says he's never been into the top end, says PO replaced rings. 

A few aftermarket parts, pipe, handguards, springs (will redo suspension anyway)

Both owners were old guys who used didn't ride much.

Here's the add: https://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/d/06-ktm-300xc/6639957837.html

Subtract a new top end from the going price and there is your price tag.  Unknown hours with unknown maintenance.

I learned the hard way not to assume an old guy can't ride the piss out of a motorcycle.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, piltoyougram said:

If you do buy the bike???! And proceed to do a top end, which you should. Make sure the power valve is up dated. I do believe in 2008 KTM fixed the problem? They were great for coming apart and finding their way down into the tranny and yes you guess it$$,$$$.00!

Can you link me to any pages with more info about this issue? Can you swap parts off a post 08 bike on to a 06 to fix it?

Out here in Colorado, I think that is a $2500-$3000 bike without the plate.  What I cant tell you is the incremental value related to the plate.  I dont know if that is next to impossible in NY to plate a dirt bike or not.  It certainly is in California where they get big dollars of a dirt bike that snuck through their plating process.  Out here in Colorado, a plated dirt bike is probably worth an extra $200-$500 to the right buyer so they dont have to go through a relatively easy process.

Having a plate certainly makes it easier to connect from trail to trail and you never have to worry about getting stopped by riding where you shouldnt be.

Edited by SilvFx

On 7/12/2018 at 1:33 PM, piltoyougram said:

They were great for coming apart and finding their way down into the tranny and yes you guess it$$,$$$.00!

Are you talking about the power valve in the top end coming loose and migrating to the transmission? What? How would that happen?

Yes it's the power valve in the top end: The little piece attached to the shaft on the '05 KTM300EXC it was only pressed on, it came loose and found it's was into the transmission. . Luck would have it the bike started but ran weird. Did not put it in gear as it was time for a complete top end to start with. That's when it was discovered at the drain hole on the transmission. If you look at the diagram in the manual for this engine you can see the passage way from the top end to the transmission. LUCKY Some folks weren't?

11 hours ago, piltoyougram said:

Yes it's the power valve in the top end: The little piece attached to the shaft on the '05 KTM300EXC it was only pressed on, it came loose and found it's was into the transmission. . Luck would have it the bike started but ran weird. Did not put it in gear as it was time for a complete top end to start with. That's when it was discovered at the drain hole on the transmission. If you look at the diagram in the manual for this engine you can see the passage way from the top end to the transmission. LUCKY Some folks weren't?

I have an 05; I will take a look at this during rebuild. Hard to believe on the passage way but I'll take a look. Bike has less than 30 hours now on rebuilt motor so not anytime soon.