Markl5557

Aftermarket drz400s shock recommendations ?

16 posts in this topic

Hey all , looking to get a more heavy duty aftermarket rear shock for my weight lol anyone recommend some different brands ?? Also any one changed theirs already ?

6 minutes ago, Markl5557 said:

Hey all , looking to get a more heavy duty aftermarket rear shock for my weight lol anyone recommend some different brands ?? Also any one changed theirs already ?

What type of riding?

14 minutes ago, Bermudacat said:

What type of riding?

Mostly dirt , heavy woops .... I’m 250 lbs the stock spring is only made for a 180 lb guy as I’m sure you no I never did aftermarket shocks should I rebuild or get a new one more specific for my weight ?

Getting the stock shock re-valved will be the best value.

1 person likes this

28 minutes ago, Bermudacat said:

Getting the stock shock re-valved will be the best value.

Thank you for the input!

1 person likes this

Get a heavier spring, and then get some heavier shock oil.  I think the stock DRZ shock oil is 2.5w.  Put some 5w in it and that will get you pretty close to what a revalve will do.

1 person likes this

43 minutes ago, dirtjumpordie said:

Get a heavier spring, and then get some heavier shock oil.  I think the stock DRZ shock oil is 2.5w.  Put some 5w in it and that will get you pretty close to what a revalve will do.

Awesome thanks 🙏 

Problem with the DRZ shock is not enough shims on the low speed comp and too many on the high speed. Running a 5wt shock oil is not going to fix that disparity.

4 people like this

Problem with the DRZ shock is not enough shims on the low speed comp and too many on the high speed. Running a 5wt shock oil is not going to fix that disparity.

Absolutely correct
And to steal a quote from the founder of racetech

The best you’ve ridden is the best you know - Paul Theade

Re spring and some new oil is not even close to a properly valved , shimmed and sprung Showa shock

The stock DRZ shock with high Speed compression adjustment is all the shock anybody reading this forum needs
If you need more than that shock can provide you’re not reading this for him and you have an entire shop paid to work on your suspension
Whether you use a can tune shock set up from race tech
Send that shock in to any one of 100 quality suspension shops
Or read the suspension thread in this forum and build your own there is nothing to gain from most
In putting an aftermarket shock on this bike

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Erik Marquez said:

Absolutely correct
And to steal a quote from the founder of racetech

The best you’ve ridden is the best you know - Paul Theade

Re spring and some new oil is not even close to a properly valved , shimmed and sprung Showa shock

The stock DRZ shock with high Speed compression adjustment is all the shock anybody reading this forum needs
If you need more than that shock can provide you’re not hanging out in this forum, and you have an entire crew paid to work on your suspension
Whether you use a caned tune shock set up from race tech .
Or Send that shock in to any one of 100 quality suspension shops
Or read the suspension thread in this forum and build your own there is nothing to gain for most in putting an aftermarket shock on this bike

So let me get this correct , you are saying just to leave the stock shock in there although I am above the specified weight of the stock shock ?

1 person likes this

Because at the moment I have my suspension set up super firm almost compressed all the way down due to me being 250 I’m sure this is bad for the spring putting all that pressure on it 

19 minutes ago, Markl5557 said:

So let me get this correct , you are saying just to leave the stock shock in there although I am above the specified weight of the stock shock ?

He is saying that the Showa 50mm shock on the DRZ is a great piece of hardware, it just needs to be properly valved and sprung to suit the individual.

But for comparisine sake, the DRZE has a 5.3kg rear spring, and so does the WR450

3 people like this

9 hours ago, Markl5557 said:

Kind of.. Im saying use the stock shock, and make it work better at 1/10th the cost of building an aftermarket shock that in the end will have no advantage

You will need a new spring at about $100 and valve / shim changes..that can run from a few $ if you do it your self, to $200 or so if you send it in.

Home done is possible, but most will have several attempts to get what you want from it, and you will need to find a shop that will charge the shock for you.. I get $15 for that, but I've heard of places charging a lot more

1 person likes this

Thank you everyone for the input it’s greatly appreciated looking to do this soon