YZ426f Good deal?

Sup. Very New to dirt bikes (0 experience only quads) and have a chance to pickup a 2001 YZ426f for 500.00. Supposed to be basically running and only need new spark plugs. The brother died and just want to get rid of it. Were asking 1200 but said they would take 500 after me saying not super interested. Any things I should look/ check for? Not super mechanically inclined either but I can check for compression etc. Is it really dumb to pick this up without being able to try riding it? For 500 I figured there's not much that can be wrong where I wouldn't at least be able to make my money back. Or I could trade for a 250. 

Edited by zmanlane

That's a good cheap way to get into riding.  with any of the older bikes that you're going to find there's always a chance for carburetor problems and other just general fuel issues.  I got into riding some dirt on an old bike like that and as long as it's mechanically sound it should be all right and it's a good way to get into wrenching on them.  There's a tremendous amount of information on this forum.  the big thing is to make sure and stay on top of your maintenance valve adjustment oil changes Etc.  Tackle one problem at a time and it should be fun.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, deweym21 said:

That's a good cheap way to get into riding.  with any of the older bikes that you're going to find there's always a chance for carburetor problems and other just general fuel issues.  I got into riding some dirt on an old bike like that and as long as it's mechanically sound it should be all right and it's a good way to get into wrenching on them.  There's a tremendous amount of information on this forum.  the big thing is to make sure and stay on top of your maintenance valve adjustment oil changes Etc.  Tackle one problem at a time and it should be fun.

Problem is I do not have anyone who can go with me to check it out. For 500 and they said it was running at one point can there be anything wrong where I should not buy it? 

as long as there is a title I would be interested or if no title check the numbers of the frame and case and if nothing comes back I would jump on the deal.  What scares me is the cylinder head, for ex. worn seats, poor maint. like sanded down shims, over tighten cam cap bolts etc. But 500, it seems like a good price....

47 minutes ago, crider400 said:

as long as there is a title I would be interested or if no title check the numbers of the frame and case and if nothing comes back I would jump on the deal.  What scares me is the cylinder head, for ex. worn seats, poor maint. like sanded down shims, over tighten cam cap bolts etc. But 500, it seems like a good price....

No title but I'll get pics of the vin. It was also running well 45 days ago which was the last time the brother rode it. She's sending me more pics in an hr. Ill attach em and hopefully we can tell how hard it was ridden. 

• Like 1

If it's got a clean title, and doesn't have anything obvious wrong with it, I'd go for it! (even if you can't get it started)
But I would at least make sure you can turn over the engine smoothly, this will confirm it's not totally grenaded.

For $500 bucks, if it turns out to be a dud, you could part it out for at least that much.

I'd check: (assuming you buy it)

1. Valves - re-shim if not in spec
2. Pull the carb out of bike and give it a through cleaning. (remove all jets and clean out with carb cleaner, etc)
3. Oil change
4. While oil is out, check clutch plates / basket.
5. Make sure chain/sprockets aren't fried, replace before you ride if so. (broken chain on that bike can easily crack the case)
6. Check and replace spark plug
7. Go ride :ride:

10 hours ago, crider400 said:

Any ideas? 

CAF44869-D262-4551-8015-944076F493BE.png

06826099-EBFA-4F9C-B158-446677B8ECC0.jpeg

9352DD43-7CB6-4E2A-A2AE-99A3DA983B3A.jpeg

0E8E10EF-AFA5-4750-8DC6-A50CE4AB298D.jpeg

8427FEA2-F561-43EA-8BE5-4B8FC9D5D236.jpeg

5931095A-F6DF-4B5B-A282-7A9B9C6575F2.jpeg

E0B6C0CE-81BF-479C-B85C-513536E79D7B.jpeg

A0A9E26D-297D-479C-B649-87F22289E3E0.jpeg

71A4A70F-6DD9-45BC-BBBD-1DA39919E3E7.jpeg

288C6374-FA78-40D1-9E42-C8C50DDFCD4C.jpeg

237D5190-0617-46B9-8AB1-F86A0D8133E8.jpeg

Looks ok for $500.  Have at least $1500 set aside for possible repairs. With the rust on the frame you will at the minimum probably need to do all the chassis bearings.  Check them all for play.  The engine will need the valves checked, a leak down test and a cam chain if you are going to keep it. The suspension will need the oils changed.  The silencer will need repacking most likely. 

As a tech I would love to pick a 426 up.. Best 4T made ever in my opinion.. But being you have no idea about mechanics its very iffy... 

Something isn't right w the rear brake pedal (just bent down) ,

with a 4T valve adjust are stupid important (most of my customers ride theirs till they won't start then wonder what happened) 

I would get the guy to atleast get it started.. Sadly you won't understand what it should sound like.. It could be on the verge of blowing up n you wouldn't realize it.. If they get it started go ride it.. I forget if they are 4 or 5 speed.. Just make sure it goes through the gears well ... 

As stated even if it blows up tomorrow you might make ur money back..

No title would be a deal killer for me.. Here in az its a useless rock w no title.. 

That bikes needs a lot of love as has already been stated, fortunately none of it is terribly hard just time consuming. If I were buying it to use I'd do a full top end on it just to make sure it's safe a reliable to ride plus it will give you access to check out the crank/rod for play. With that top end I'd do the chain as well for sure, but to be honest I'd take it down to the frame and get it powder coated as well if I were planning on riding it long term. I think you easy get that back to new or near new for $2,000 or less and then ride it for a year or 2 and then sell for what your into it. Just keep all receipts and take photos of the tear down for proof when sell time comes.

Also be aware that you may end up needing new valves and cams depending on the condition but there is no way to know until you get into it..

Thanks for the help guys! I actually found a 2001 super Sherpa that was just professionally serviced with 1200 miles with 2 owners (one owned it for under 30 miles) for 1500 and I thought that might be better for a first bike. At that price I can sell it and won’t lose much if I want more power and it’s less of a gamble. Here’s a pic if anyone cares lol 

1EFD8365-9C4E-4E0C-94F1-D16679E47E5B.jpeg

7F3F9293-A726-4831-94CC-3EE2429C3191.png

5C0C201C-97B7-4157-B91E-5296D5A77857.png

The YZ426 pics show it's missing the rear mud flap under the airbox, what's seems like an unimportant piece of rubber to many is actually the opposite.

Figure the shock shaft has been sandblasted and if the seal is not leaking it soon will be.

1 hour ago, Hoover388 said:
3 hours ago, ballane89 said:
Looks good. Are you missing a cover over your air box?

And air filter

Is the air filter missing? He mentioned the covers were missing but not the air filter 

EDIT: response from owner 

“It’s an oiled foam. Not stock. The stock one takes up the whole black box. It’s carb tuned with oil foam filter” 

Edited by zmanlane