Trade 2017 250 xc for Yz250fx?

The KTM suspension still is poor even after putting 500$ into it. It’s better than 4cs,  But not by much. Also my bike is constantly falling apart, bolts and nuts coming loose after every ride. I’m tired of the poor quality of KTM. I’ve had 4 now. Will I be happier on the FX? A level woods rider. What are the advantages of the Yamaha?

You will be get some biased reviews bere, but yes. 

Yamaha suspension, motor and durabiity are best in class. 100 hours on my FX with nothing but oil and filter changes. 150 hours on my old 14 YZ250F and 200 hours on my 08 with little more than filter and oil changes. 

Yamahas really are ride rinse repeat. 

In saying that there is no reason why bolts should be constantly coming loose on your KTM. 

19 minutes ago, Vintage Not Pimpage said:

You will be get some biased reviews bere, but yes. 

Yamaha suspension, motor and durabiity are best in class. 100 hours on my FX with nothing but oil and filter changes. 150 hours on my old 14 YZ250F and 200 hours on my 08 with little more than filter and oil changes. 

Yamahas really are ride rinse repeat. 

In saying that there is no reason why bolts should be constantly coming loose on your KTM. 

I’ve had my rear sprocket come loose, rear axel nut and handle bar mount. All with less than 40 hours on the bike and I check at least every other time I ride. The motor and weight is great but too much tinkering for me.

Edited by rockytoptenn

I solved this by having one of each :ride: buddy is moving to town tonight, so we'll be able to give them a thorough side by side comparison.

be neat to hop off one, onto the other.. looking forward to it !

3 hours ago, rockytoptenn said:

The KTM suspension still is poor even after putting 500$ into it. It’s better than 4cs,  But not by much. Also my bike is constantly falling apart, bolts and nuts coming loose after every ride. I’m tired of the poor quality of KTM. I’ve had 4 now. Will I be happier on the FX? A level woods rider. What are the advantages of the Yamaha?

Bolts falling off the bike? If they are falling off the engine..most of those bolts have a dap of blue lock tight on them.. Handel bars and levers? Stop crashing..

The only consistent problems i have had with KTM is the kicker levers like to fall of when you ride. Blue lock tight solves this. 

Sprocket coming loose? Blue lock tight. All Motorcycles are the same. They vibrate and stuff comes loose. I check most of my bolt torques every other ride. 

One time my friends Harley would rev out when it started. Throttle body screw had vibrated all the way in. 

I don't think switching brands is going to keep the bolts from getting loose, but maybe maintenance technique.. Yamaha does make sweet bike. I don't know how much "better" is is from another basically brand new bike. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LukeYZ426F said:

Sold my 17 250xcthat had $1100 suspension and bought a 17FX. 

I have ZERO thoughts of ever going back to a KTM. Wish I’d have done it sooner. 

What does the 250fx do better? Do you ride tight single track, if so how does it do compared to the 250xc?

12 minutes ago, rockytoptenn said:

Interesting. You have been praising the 250fx for years.

And I think 300s are over-rated... 250s (especially the XCs) are some of the nicest, easy to ride bikes around...

If the OP is having suspension problems, it will be setup related. Just because someone spends $$$ on suspension doesn't mean it's going to be magically better either. Testing, bracketing, testing, riding etc are all going to make it better and better... Could be a simple sag adjustment, tire pressure, fork pressure etc...

As for bolts 'falling' off, that is definitely related to dare I say 'lack of maintenance'? I honestly don't believe I've heard or read about the axel nut coming loose... Spokes I get, and maybe sprocket bolts (blue lock tight does wonders), but a axle nut? Lol.. 

• Like 3

I'm in a similar conundrum .....

I had major eye surgery in febuary,which wrecked my whole riding season.

Sold my 16 TE300 because of it.

Hasn't stopped me from looking at bikes.....for next year.

Initially I wanted a Beta 390RRS,for the street legal aspect.

However in southern Alberta our riding areas have been pretty much shut down,so the DS aspect of the bike is somewhat irrelevant.

That leaves me with track time(with a endurocross and harescramble course) and some mountain riding 3 hours away.

KTMs and Huskies here are crazy expensive,over 2k more than a 250FX.(even better deals to had on 250FX if you spent the time.)

I was looking at the 250X....but ive become accustomed to the E button,kicking is over rated.

So the 250FX,add lights,handguards and SA.....Im done,all things I have to do with the KTMs anyway.

For a 3rd bike bike in garage,I cant justify the cost of the KTMs anymore....especially since the riding is so limited now.

Wont be riding till next spring so Im gonna keep my eyes open for great deal on a used 250FX or get a great deal on new in winter.

Very different bikes. The FX is a good bike but I wouldn’t consider buying one again without an overhaul from Yamaha. My 250 (granted mine is a beta 250rr) handles the tight single track much better than my FX did. Lighter, more power, better balanced and just overall more confidence inspiring. Not to mention it’s just more fun to ride. My biggest gripe with the FX was that it was tall and top heavy. Felt lethargic and laboring when stuff got nasty. When the trail got flowy that’s where the FX shined.

I have a couple buddies with 17+ 250 and 300 xc’s and have ridden them multiple times, no way I’d trade a 17’ 250xc for an FX. That is just my opinion though. I’d give the XC a little more time.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, rockytoptenn said:

What does the 250fx do better? Do you ride tight single track, if so how does it do compared to the 250xc?

The ktm did tight technical single track better. The Yamaha does faster stuff better. I think any two stroke will do better in those conditions though. Between the lower weight and the ability to really lug the 250xc, it’s great at the slow stuff. Even with good clutch control the Yamaha is harder to ride th tight technical stuff (to me).

i race hairscrambles and sprint/regular enduros 

I did a lot of testing and tuning on the ktm and never like it. Had I thrown a set of cone valves on it I probably would have like it. 

I think KTM has a lot nicer fit and finish, parts used, and machining on their bikes. Yamaha seems to have the chassis and suspension more dialed for sure. 

I am twice as confident on my Yamaha as I was in my ktm. 

8 hours ago, NW_drZ said:

Very different bikes. The FX is a good bike but I wouldn’t consider buying one again without an overall from Yamaha. My 250 (granted mine is a beta 250rr) handles the tight single track much better than my FX did. Lighter, more power, better balanced and just overall more confidence inspiring. Not to mention it’s just more fun to ride. My biggest gripe with the FX was that it was tall and top heavy. Felt lethargic and laboring when stuff got nasty. When the trail got flowy that’s where the FX shined.

I have a couple buddies with 17+ 250 and 300 xc’s and have ridden them multiple times, no way I’d trade a 17’ 250xc for an FX. That is just my opinion though. I’d give the XC a little more time.

The problem with every KTM I’ve had is once I get up to speed I start ping ponging around and about kill my self. 4stroke and 2 stroke doesn’t matter. I almost wouldn’t mind giving up some agility for a bike that actually was planted and had good suspension.

Ive always thought KTMs looked the best of the showroom floor but after owning them they don’t hold up long and start to look like crap pretty quick. Also I think the current Yamaha’s and the new CRF250RX have surpassed the KTMs in looks, fit and finish. 

I've had 2 FX's now (15 & 17) and really like the bike and especially the lack of fixing problems like I had on my previous KTM 450XCW.   I had all kinds of motor issues on the KTM that were a pain in the a......, and the suspension sucked.   When dialed  (for me - lowered, new fork & shock springs, new ICS springs) the KYB suspension platform is fabulous.   All this being said, I just rode a friends brand new 2018 300XCW whose weight is near mine and that is easily the best bike I have ever ridden, buy a lot.   The 300 smoker motor has way more power and revs to the moon.   It also seems like KTM got their act together with suspension too -  because this bike was plush.   I really do NOT want to go back to KTM, but Yamaha seems to have their head in the sand in regards to making a 250 smoker with a button.   I'm 58 and have bad hips, I just can't buy a  kick start only bike.   Come on Yamaha, whats up?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shredjim said:

I've had 2 FX's now (15 & 17) and really like the bike and especially the lack of fixing problems like I had on my previous KTM 450XCW.   I had all kinds of motor issues on the KTM that were a pain in the a......, and the suspension sucked.   When dialed  (for me - lowered, new fork & shock springs, new ICS springs) the KYB suspension platform is fabulous.   All this being said, I just rode a friends brand new 2018 300XCW whose weight is near mine and that is easily the best bike I have ever ridden, buy a lot.   The 300 smoker motor has way more power and revs to the moon.   It also seems like KTM got their act together with suspension too -  because this bike was plush.   I really do NOT want to go back to KTM, but Yamaha seems to have their head in the sand in regards to making a 250 smoker with a button.   I'm 58 and have bad hips, I just can't buy a  kick start only bike.   Come on Yamaha, whats up?  

Yes I’ve heard the Xplor is pretty good. AER is not very impressive, better than 4CS but once you start going fast it’s just as dangerous.

I actually find the AER forks pretty good both on the Xc smokers and 450 xcf’s I have ridden. I got a little time on a 300xcw with Kreft worked explorers and they were fantastic in the woods. If the Yz250x had an E start I would have gone that route originally. The beta however with revalved forks and shock is very good. I have always struggled with the ktm chassis, feels scrunched to me. I always feel like I’m hanging over the front end on them. The Beta feels closer to the Yamaha which I really like.

3 hours ago, Shredjim said:

I really do NOT want to go back to KTM, but Yamaha seems to have their head in the sand in regards to making a 250 smoker with a button.   I'm 58 and have bad hips, I just can't buy a  kick start only bike.   Come on Yamaha, whats up?  

KTM not the only game in town with a button. Borrow a ride on a Beta 250RR or 300. They ride great and have a really good button too. No reason to wait on Yamaha. The motor has been essentially the same from 99-19 now.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, NW_drZ said:

I actually find the AER forks pretty good both on the Xc smokers and 450 xcf’s I have ridden. I got a little time on a 300xcw with Kreft worked explorers and they were fantastic in the woods. If the Yz250x had an E start I would have gone that route originally. The beta however with revalved forks and shock is very good. I have always struggled with the ktm chassis, feels scrunched to me. I always feel like I’m hanging over the front end on them. The Beta feels closer to the Yamaha which I really like.

Would you take a 250x over a 2017+ 250xc if the X had a button?

3 hours ago, rockytoptenn said:

Yes I’ve heard the Xplor is pretty good. AER is not very impressive, better than 4CS but once you start going fast it’s just as dangerous.

I think you need to spend more time setting them up... AER forks are right in line with anything from Yamaha when you find the right air/oil/clicker range... 

• Like 1